First bucket truck - what to look goes as far as condition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you buy a truck you are going to have to buy a mechanic since you don't know anything.

You shouldn't even buy a truck until you both get more experience in the actual doing of the work. I mean you say you have 6 months experience? Why would I hire you? Cause yer cheap? Cause you look nice?

I think you would be ripping people off while learning to run your business and about trees. You would be charging people for your education and making them pay for your in-expertise. What would Angie say?

She don't care long as she get hers right?

Same with you?

You guys are really chomping at the bit to give meaningful advice and very humble lol. Since I had to come into work tonight and sitting here letting a computer load software, I'll entertain you. I always like reading these threads, they're like reality shows. This post will not benefit anyone and is going to make me look like a donkey to laugh at, but oh well. Thank me later. Grab your popcorn....

We sound like chumps, we are... at this point. I'm happy you're proud of your accomplishments, you have every right to be so conceited. We don't exactly need the money, we aren't keeping any in our pockets, just putting it into the pot and hoping to build a business. It's fun. The older kids fight over who gets to come clean up brush on certain jobs and get paid the $8/hour. We like working together, charge 2/3 what anyone else would and work twice as hard because we're not efficient yet.

Maybe I shouldn't have shown up on this forum full of well listening, wanting to help, elitists. I was just sitting at work one day and thought I'd post my idea and see what you "great and humble" guys had to say. I have 2 very good friends who had their own tree service for 2 decades and both now working for the power company. One does side work with us when he has time. A different friend was ranked the top arborist in the state last year and is thriving. So decided to call my buddies and pick their brains, which actually got me somewhere :). One even gave me more gear cause he doesn't have time for trees anymore. Plus, actually realized I have a connection at another power company and now have access to their techs and mechanics. So, when we do get a truck, have a place to take it. Been learning a lot about different lifts as well. Truth be told, maybe we don't need any bucket truck or other machines for that matter. Good ol Jerry Beranek did pretty well with his little Ford Ranger.

Anyway, between us, we have a materials engineering degree, computer science, masters degree in education... remodeled our houses and rentals, rebuilt cars, trucks and motorcycles. Our parents grew up on farms, and as kids would go the the grandparents often and work. We are liking getting back to being outside and doing physical labor. It's also fun trying to start a business. Lots of new things to think about and be aware of. We have plenty of work, too much actually. Not sure how all of you started but I'm sure there are some good stories... I actually think I should start that thread. Would be a good one.

You guys are really chomping at the bit to give meaningful advice and very humble lol. Since I had to come into work tonight and sitting here letting a computer load software, I'll entertain you. I always like reading these threads, they're like reality shows. This post will not benefit anyone and is going to make me look like a donkey to laugh at, but oh well. Thank me later. Grab your popcorn....

We sound like chumps, we are... at this point. I'm happy you're proud of your accomplishments, you have every right to be so conceited. We don't exactly need the money, we aren't keeping any in our pockets, just putting it into the pot and hoping to build a business. It's fun. The older kids fight over who gets to come clean up brush on certain jobs and get paid the $8/hour. We like working together, charge 2/3 what anyone else would and work twice as hard because we're not efficient yet.

Maybe I shouldn't have shown up on this forum full of well listening, wanting to help, elitists. I was just sitting at work one day and thought I'd post my idea and see what you "great and humble" guys had to say. I have 2 very good friends who had their own tree service for 2 decades and both now working for the power company. One does side work with us when he has time. A different friend was ranked the top arborist in the state last year and is thriving. So decided to call my buddies and pick their brains, which actually got me somewhere :). One even gave me more gear cause he doesn't have time for trees anymore. Plus, actually realized I have a connection at another power company and now have access to their techs and mechanics. So, when we do get a truck, have a place to take it. Been learning a lot about different lifts as well. Truth be told, maybe we don't need any bucket truck or other machines for that matter. Good ol Jerry Beranek did pretty well with his little Ford Ranger.

Anyway, between us, we have a materials engineering degree, computer science, masters degree in education... remodeled our houses and rentals, rebuilt cars, trucks and motorcycles. Our parents grew up on farms, and as kids would go the the grandparents often and work. We are liking getting back to being outside and doing physical labor. It's also fun trying to start a business. Lots of new things to think about and be aware of. We have plenty of work, too much actually. Not sure how all of you started but I'm sure there are some good stories... I actually think I should start that thread. Would be a good one.

We are lucky to have you and your vast knowledge,
I am just a humble tree guy engrossed in your awesomeness,,
Jeff :cool:

You just walk in talking about some 38 foot bucket truck saying you don't even know what one should look like telling how yer starting a business and you are trying to break balls?

Now yer with the JB crap?

Maybe you should have sent yer brother cause it sounds like he, at least, knows what a tree is.

Answer me this:

If you had to pay for all your degrees then why would you think this education would be free?

WAIT! You just said you knew people in the business and talked to them and then came on here asking about a 38 foot bucket truck? You and the kids you hire should definitely pay someone to teach you how to use something like that. What did you think you would just buy it and wing it?

WAIT! Did you say KIDS!!??

WAIT! Did he just say he was undercutting us?

"Getting back to being outside" That's precious and thank some god huh?

Why do they come and ask how to start and run their business... and all at once?

There are easier ways to earn money on the side than doing tree work. I get the part about being outside and all the great exercise you're getting. A question you and your brother need to ask yourself is whether you are willing to give up your day job if you get injured? I know you are going to say you work safe and don't do anything you're not comfortable with but sh*t happens and you won't even see it coming. I wish you luck but consider the ramifications.

We are lucky to have you and your vast knowledge,
I am just a humble tree guy engrossed in your awesomeness,,
Jeff :cool:
Sorry, wasn't trying to come off as pretentious. Since some are saying we don't know anything just trying to point out we aren't completely brainless.
You just walk in talking about some 38 foot bucket truck saying you don't even know what one should look like telling how yer starting a business and you are trying to break balls?
I wanted to know some things to look for other than obvious damage/wear on a lift if we went and looked at one to purchase. I've read several threads about big vs small bucket trucks and while most say not to bother with the small, there's always someone in each thread saying they have a big and small and use them both.
Maybe you should have sent yer brother cause it sounds like he, at least, knows what a tree is.
He's too tired from doing all the climbing.

Answer me this:

If you had to pay for all your degrees then why would you think this education would be free?
Couldn't find your paypal address.

WAIT! You just said you knew people in the business and talked to them and then came on here asking about a 38 foot bucket truck? You and the kids you hire should definitely pay someone to teach you how to use something like that. What did you think you would just buy it and wing it?
I said I posted here first then talked to my friends.... If I had wings I wouldn't need a bucket truck.

WAIT! Did you say KIDS!!??
Yes, guessing you guys are the same age.

WAIT! Did he just say he was undercutting us?
Thought this business was all about cutting.

Why do they come and ask how to start and run their business... and all at once?
When did "they" ask about running any business?

There are easier ways to earn money on the side than doing tree work. I get the part about being outside and all the great exercise you're getting. A question you and your brother need to ask yourself is whether you are willing to give up your day job if you get injured? I know you are going to say you work safe and don't do anything you're not comfortable with but sh*t happens and you won't even see it coming. I wish you luck but consider the ramifications.
I'm a little nervous every time we get to a job. Being up in trees, limbs swinging/falling, saws running. It wasn't my dream side gig but my brother was set on it and already doing it anyway for his wood furnace. We have been studying what we can and try to be as methodical as possible.

I have no doubt you are trying to be safe and methodical but sometimes you don't know what you don't know. If this whole gig is about feeding your brother's wood furnace and making a couple of bucks, you must be a glutton for punishment. Be safe.

I have no doubt you are trying to be safe and methodical but sometimes you don't know what you don't know. If this whole gig is about feeding your brother's wood furnace and making a couple of bucks, you must be a glutton for punishment. Be safe.
Thanks, we will be as safe as we know how and hopefully keep learning enough to be safer and safer. I assume if I ever get to know what you guys know there's still so much unpredictability I'll always be nervous. I wouldn't be doing it if I wasn't making money but I certainly wouldn't be doing it if it didn't feel so good just being out there, sweating and feeling like I earned my pay and "hanging" with my brother. Cheesy but true.

I'd rather suck a donkey d*** than cut brush down on a trailer for 8$ hour....or how are y'all even moving the brush and wood?

Sorry, wasn't trying to come off as pretentious. Since some are saying we don't know anything just trying to point out we aren't completely brainless.

I wanted to know some things to look for other than obvious damage/wear on a lift if we went and looked at one to purchase. I've read several threads about big vs small bucket trucks and while most say not to bother with the small, there's always someone in each thread saying they have a big and small and use them both.

He's too tired from doing all the climbing.

Couldn't find your paypal address.

I said I posted here first then talked to my friends.... If I had wings I wouldn't need a bucket truck.

Yes, guessing you guys are the same age.

Thought this business was all about cutting.

When did "they" ask about running any business?

I'm a little nervous every time we get to a job. Being up in trees, limbs swinging/falling, saws running. It wasn't my dream side gig but my brother was set on it and already doing it anyway for his wood furnace. We have been studying what we can and try to be as methodical as possible.

Yes! Jeff is a hawk eyed nutjob that could falsely and to quickly be construed as pretentious. I can't stand the ****ing prick either.

Knowing the difference, being able to accept the difference , is something I am not sure you can do.

Why?

Cause yer on the book math.

Got to get to the soul first. Wax on, Wax off....

So when you come to the COMMERCIAL SECTION of a PROFESSIONAL tree forum maybe you should have brought a shammy or something else besides a 38 foot bucket truck and 2/3 the competitor's rate.

How do you even know the competitor's rate?

I should be more helpful:

Its actually kinda simple, starting a tree business that is, we all went down to the bookstore and bought TREE WORK FER DUMMIES!!!!

God! I actually wish I had that book!

Yes! Jeff is a hawk eyed nutjob that could falsely and to quickly be construed as pretentious. I can't stand the ****ing prick either.

Knowing the difference, being able to accept the difference , is something I am not sure you can do.

Why?

So when you come to the COMMERCIAL SECTION of a PROFESSIONAL tree forum maybe you should have brought a shammy or something else besides a 38 foot bucket truck and 2/3 the competitor's rate.

????

Why?

Ugh well when you get a call for an estimate you call and have your competitors give you quotes then you use the college math and cut it by 1/3 duh!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Ugh well when you get a call for an estimate you call and have your competitors give you quotes then you use the college math and cut it by 1/3 duh!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

NO SHEEEEEEEEEEIT!!!!!!!

That's IT! I'm going on a bender now mother****ers! Don't take it personally... Jeff.

Don't listen to these debbie downers!
You are educated, start asking the smart questions. A tree co. I am working with uses just the size truck you are talking about, they been in business for over 30 yrs. Just be aware,it may not be tall enough soon enough. I got out of anything hazardous right after I started, stumps are my game. Get your boom truck inspected by a boom guy, and then a DOT guy. It's a truck. It'll cost you a few bucks. Then get climbing. Use a skid loader with a grapple bucket, with a long dump trailer. Dump it all at your brother's. Keep the overhead low. Saw work is cheap to run after that. Stumping the right way isn't cheap. Do it!

Latest posts

Back