First day of summer "break"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it is, but I only made it a couple hours splitting the other day and I looked like I went swimming in all my clothes! Even my leather boots looked wet all the way through. I just need to blow off some steam! Just be careful in that heat.

Been working for 3-5 hours in the morning and then 2-3 hours just splitting at night. Did 9 to midnight last night.

Working outside with lights on you from 9 to midnight would probably get you carried away by mosquitos here! Or the damn shadflies have had another hatch as well so it would be no fun! I'm going to check on a new cutting place next week. Farmer has a 2 mile stretch of timber that a major power line runs across and the utility wants to clear cut another 40' on each side all the way through. Probably won't be able to get as much as I'd like, but you never know.
Keep hydrated jrider, and keep us updated.

Working outside with lights on you from 9 to midnight would probably get you carried away by mosquitos here! Or the damn shadflies have had another hatch as well so it would be no fun! I'm going to check on a new cutting place next week. Farmer has a 2 mile stretch of timber that a major power line runs across and the utility wants to clear cut another 40' on each side all the way through. Probably won't be able to get as much as I'd like, but you never know.
Keep hydrated jrider, and keep us updated.
Shadfly? Is that like what we call a deer fly?

Here is 1 more, I have seen them on the bridges here when the highway crews get the snow plows out to get them out of the way. The little dead bodies are slick as heck when they get piled up, reminds you of black ice!

1406032376003-MinnesotaCity.jpg

Well I start after dark which helps with the bugs plus I'm only using a small but bright headlamp so as not to attract bugs. About 15 minutes in last night I had a bunch buzzing my head so I just shut the light off for a minute or two and then that was it. The only real bad part is there is no wind what so ever so an hour in and I can ring out my shirt but it sure beats the 90's.

image.jpeg Up to 65' long now on current pile. Rain slowing me down right now. Will work in the dark but don't care much for the rain. The mini pile to the left is all of the cut offs ranging from about 6"-12" or so.

Do you sell the mini pile for less? I've been giving that stuff away. It does add up, as your pile shows.
I do sell it for slightly less but often wonder if I could sell it for more because people with those small parlor style stoves have a hard time finding wood that fits. But I really just want to get rid of it to be honest. I could burn it in the own but loading would get old pretty damn fast.

image.jpeg image.jpeg This pile is now at 80' and the other one I'm working on is at 65'. I have two things working against me. In the middle of yet another heatwave. It went "down" to 80 overnight and real feel temp was 93 at 6:30 this morning. I made it to 11:30 when temp was 94 with real feel at 112. That included 2 pool breaks. My other issue has been my back. I've been battling spasms off and on for 4 weeks so I got an MRI which revealed a herniated disk. If you look closely at the picture, the horizontal lines are the vertebrae and the vertical white line is the spinal cord. You can see the one disk pushing into the spinal cord causing all of my pain. Getting a cortisone shot on Monday. Happy 40th to me lol.

Awesome work on the firewood. I never cut no where near that much wood at once. I have a bad back too. Been fighting a bulge in L5-S1. Sometimes that sciatic nerve hurts so bad i just want to cut out the hurt! Why my heel hurts so bad...and its my back that is messed up. I have been going to pain management for 8 years and getting those shots do help me alot. Sometimes after a couple of those shots, I'm pain free for awhile. Then I'm back doing something i shouldn't...and its back to hurting. Good luck with the wood, and take care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome work on the firewood. I never cut no where near that much wood at once. I have a bad back too. Been fighting a bulge in L5-S1. Sometimes that sciatic nerve hurts so bad i just want to cut out the hurt! Why my heel hurts so bad...and its my back that is messed up. I have been going to pain management for 8 years and getting those shots do help me alot. Sometimes after a couple of those shots, I'm pain free for awhile. Then I'm back doing something i shouldn't...and its back to hurting. Good luck with the wood, and take care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How long does the shot take until you get relief? I'm pretty mobile right now but this time last week I could barely walk.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg 3 piles of oak, each 80 feet long. I have about 5 work days left. I put an ad up in the local Facebook pages tonight trying to sell cut rounds because I'm just out of time. The top pick also shows me "short" pile. The last pic shows all the longer wood 20"-24" wood. There are 7 pallets of that. The summer hasn't gone as planned but stuff happens.

Back