First fire!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Planned to move some more wood to the porch and then clean the chimney. Moved 3 garden tractor trailer loads (1 each willow, locust, birch). Set up ladder, located the wire brush and a screwdriver. Sat down to have a coffee break. Did that and went to get the brush and rods. SURPRISE! It was raining - first rain this drought stricken area has seen since early last spring. Also cold and windy.

Came in an lit up a fire.

Harry K

Planned to move some more wood to the porch and then clean the chimney. Moved 3 garden tractor trailer loads (1 each willow, locust, birch). Set up ladder, located the wire brush and a screwdriver. Sat down to have a coffee break. Did that and went to get the brush and rods. SURPRISE! It was raining - first rain this drought stricken area has seen since early last spring. Also cold and windy.

Came in an lit up a fire.

Harry K

I'm reading that this year is going to have a very strong el nino which should bring large amounts of rain to the PNW and California. This won't necessarily be a good thing if there's too much rain and a lot of flooding. I'm hoping for a cold winter everywhere including the West, it's good for firewood business.

I'm reading that this year is going to have a very strong el nino which should bring large amounts of rain to the PNW and California. This won't necessarily be a good thing if there's too much rain and a lot of flooding. I'm hoping for a cold winter everywhere including the West, it's good for firewood business.

Yep. Bad tradeoff: good rain but resulting mud runs and floods.

While we need rain badly and not just for the fires that are raging, we need snow and lots of it in the PNW mountains. Had basically none this past winter.

Supposed to be in the 90's tomorrow and through Labor Day in this neck of the woods. Log fire maybe next week if some of that cold air you have blows southeast. Meanwhile, I'll keep throwing scraps of cottonwood into the fire pit for cool evenings and sit outside.

This El Nino humidity is for the pits.

Hot as hell here, but cool/chilly nights. Even with the heat, fall is in the air. About 60 days till heating season.

I think Harry may have pulled in way too much firewood this summer. He's wrestling with a surplus. :rolleyes:

Only if you consider 90 cords in the stash "surplus" :)

Oddly I found that cedar is not all that bad for firewood...at least in my stove. I removed 4 of them that I planted back in the late 70s (grown up into the power line). 3 chunks kept the house warm all evening the other night. Got a fire going again and just now put on the 3rd chunk (used two to start the fire) after 3 hours.

That was a surprise, thought it would burn fast.

Harry K

Back