First impression of the Stihl 241c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
9a942c1bc7d1d1815a8cc26ac38a1805.jpg

Picked it up with a 12" bar running 3/8p rs.

Main purpose will be a light all around utility saw. For things like what's in the background of the above picture.

It's a gutsy little bugger with the 12" bar. I can really lean into it relative to it being a 42cc unit.

I did have to turn the oiler down.

My only dislike so far is the dawgs. They don't need to be this big on a saw this small. Now granted I am cutting lose branches set up on sawhorses. But what is happening is the saw has enough torque to roll these branches into the dogs and all progress stops. I'll give it some more time before I start modifying them, but I may cut them down. I can lean on this enough in the wood to not need to use the dawgs. And I don't deal with wood like this on an often enough basis to warrant the construction of a sawbuck.

Very pleased with the purchase.

sent from a field

Took just over 2 tanks to cut all this

3505a24cb94996a113a41b0f826852b4.jpg

I wasn't working the saw hard at all and the muffler was proving this as it was wet with unburnt fuel. Which is ok with me, nice easy break in.

So I noodled a couple larger pieces just to see how much I could push on it

aeadf28a6167cd1874b283074d65a57f.jpg

Had to cut from both sides to make it all the way through.

If this saw only gets better with use, everyone should own one.

sent from a field

I'd sure like to have one!

For now I'm making due with my Dolmar 421. I would have preferred the Stihl, but I have a terrible dealer, and it was $240 more than the Dolmar.

Out of curiosity, why did you go witha 12" bar, and how do you like it? My 421 came with a 16" but I just ordered a 12" from LCS. At $18 for a bar and chain, I had to try it. Just curious what your thoughts are.

Congrats on the new saw, nice lineup you got there.

I'd sure like to have one!

For now I'm making due with my Dolmar 421. I would have preferred the Stihl, but I have a terrible dealer, and it was $240 more than the Dolmar.

Out of curiosity, why did you go witha 12" bar, and how do you like it? My 421 came with a 16" but I just ordered a 12" from LCS. At $18 for a bar and chain, I had to try it. Just curious what your thoughts are.

Congrats on the new saw, nice lineup you got there.

I have a 25" and 20" that goes on the 441. The 362 wears a 16" exclusively. 14" doesn't bridge enough gap so I went with 12".

I'm not one to run a saw at the edge of its max bar length. Id prefer to keep the bar length short so I'm not working the saw to its limit. If I ever find myself needing more than 25" of bar length, which right now is very rare, Ill get a 661. Either that or trade the 441 in for a 461. But I do really like the 441.

I have a 25" and 20" that goes on the 441. The 362 wears a 16" exclusively. 14" doesn't bridge enough gap so I went with 12".

I'm not one to run a saw at the edge of its max bar length. Id prefer to keep the bar length short so I'm not working the saw to its limit. If I ever find myself needing more than 25" of bar length, which right now is very rare, Ill get a 661. Either that or trade the 441 in for a 461. But I do really like the 441.

Right on. Similar setup to me. 16" and soon to be 12" on my 421, 16" on the 036, 20" and 25" on my 460, 20", 25", and 32" on my 660.

20" on the 660, which is ported sure is fun. :)

Does that have different sharpening requirements that regular 3/8? Like 3/8" low pro?

Sorry for asking as I have no real world experience with it.

I have heard it mentioned but never seen it in the wild.

Picco and low profile are the same thing. Yes, they use a smaller file.

Cough......394/395's work too.....cough...:D

Does that have different sharpening requirements that regular 3/8? Like 3/8" low pro?

Sorry for asking as I have no real world experience with either of them.

I have heard them mentioned but never handled in the wild.

This is my first foray into anything other than regular 3/8. I wanted to switch it over the .325 but my dealer said I can use the .325 wheel on the 3/8p, so thats what Ill do.

Subbed.

One tank through my 241. As I mentioned on the other thread I spent this afternoon trading off between that and my recently ported 550. It was kind of like Christmas and my birthday all rolled into one day with those two toys at my disposal.

Mine came with the 16" bar but I have 12 and 14 inch GB bars on order from Left Coast.

I think I'm going to follow Dancan's advice and drop to a 6t rim.

I've got 3/8lp on my 421 and .325 on my Shindaiwa 488. In small wood, I really like the 3/8lp. It makes the saw feel really zippy. Also, it's faster to sharpen because there's fewer cutters per foot of chain.

Currently I've only run Carlton N1 (i think that's what it's called), which is non-reduced-kickback semi-chisel. It holds a good edge, and sharpens pretty easy. I've got some Oregon on order from LCS. I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and try some Stihl PS3 too.

Back