First impression of the Stihl 241c

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I didn't, I can tell you they sure are stingy on the gas consumption, you got to love it!
i though mine was stingy till today and it seemed like it ran out quicker the other times. going back out with a full tank and see how it does. got a decent size ash log to finish up and i'll put it through the paces. i do love that saw.

Mine has literally nothing but fumes when it runs out.

Part of me wants to send it south right now. The other part wants to just do a MM to see how it compares to a 346 OE.

Question for 241 owners:

What size wood/softwood/hardwood do you like to use it on and when do you reach for a larger saw?

With the saw being close to a 261cm in weight (I see some inconsistency in weights online but they look close), why do you prefer the 241 to a 261cm?

To me the saw performs much better with a 14" bar than 16 " So if I'm doing a lot of bucking over 12" wood, especially hardwood, I'll bring a bigger saw.

As I've mentioned the closest saw in my stable to the 241 is a ported 550 which is obviously not a fair comparison.

Mine has literally nothing but fumes when it runs out.

Part of me wants to send it south right now. The other part wants to just do a MM to see how it compares to a 346 OE.
Go and test it against the 346 without doing anything and let me know if it ain't within 1 second or so of the larger Husky.

Go and test it against the 346 without doing anything and let me know if it ain't within 1 second or so of the larger Husky.
I'd expect stock for stock that the 346 will walk away from it. I might be wrong.

I just don't know anyone nearby with a stock OE to test it against until the races in July.

Question for 241 owners:

What size wood/softwood/hardwood do you like to use it on and when do you reach for a larger saw?

With the saw being close to a 261cm in weight (I see some inconsistency in weights online but they look close), why do you prefer the 241 to a 261cm?

I had a 261 and with a 16" bar, I wasn't impressed. Ended up trading it for a 362 and I am much happier with the combination.

With the 241, It wears a 12" bar and I can use all of the bar without issue or a want for more power.

I cut mostly hardwoods... oak, ash, maple, hickory, locust.

When breaking in my saws I run them until they first burp when running out of gas and shut them down and refill. It helps me keep track of how many tankfuls I have used.

Ive got a pretty severe case of OCD, but Ive never felt the need to keep track of how many tanks Ive put through a saw.

I try not to let my saws "run out" of gas. Not good for the piston and cylinder. Unless its to put them away for awhile, then Ill let them idle till they stop.
i do that with all my saws. the 241 doesn't start to lean out like the other saws. it just quits. stihl some gas in the tank.

I only keep track through break in. After that it's just estimated use.
i lost count after 5 tanks. figured if it was gonna blow up it would have done it by then.

i stuck with the 16" B/C because that's what i run on the 023 and 250. unfortunately they are just collecting dust since the 241 arrived.

Never looked to see how much remained in the tank but how long a tank lasts depends on the task .
Felling and delimbing hardwoods burn the least fuel so longest runtime , softwood felling and delimbing give you the least runtime if you're going to the top and they're small and short .
Different tasks , different mileage .
I run a 14" on mine , my selling firewood pile has up to a few 20" so I don't bother changing , I'll block wood for 6hr to 8hr with the 241 as the main saw , run a few tanks through the 026/034/361 to change things up .
I've had a 346OE but couldn't warm up to it , hard to quantify why but I sent that one down the road .
Over the next little bit I'm gonna drag the 241 to the shop and give it a muffler mod .

Back