First Post: Need help please, Entry Level Stihl or Echo?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macky Anthony

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all. First post here as I have purchased some Echo Lawn Equipment over the weekend considering Osh had a 15% coupon. I plan to use these only to trim or cut down small trees, overgrown hedges, and maintaining thereon after. Purchased the following:

Echo CS-370 Chainsaw
Echo HC-152 Hedge Trimer
Echo PB-250 LN (already on sale for $149 plus 15 percent off)

9DAF7535-EAC0-412F-9F62-3AB22CCF10E5_zpsdpoakbev.jpg

I have also been talking to a local Stihl Dealer who is willing take off $20 from each of the following:

Stihl MS 171
Stihl HS-46
Stihl BG-56 CE

So basically the same price, which set would you recommend? I plan to stick with one brand with all my equipment to include future purchases. Currently I have Craftsman equipment for my pressure washer, lawn mower, and line trimmer but plan to upgrade in the very near future.

From the reading and videos I watched for weeks, Echo seems to be easier to start despite being stored or not being used as much. Echo also seem to get better reviews compared to Stihl homewner bracket. Definitely if I wanted commercial level stuff, I would go with Stihl. But with the above mentioned items, should I return my Echo equipment and purchase Stihl instead?

Any advice or inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Maybe it would have been helpful to pose this question before you made the purchase.

Be that as it may, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, as they say...

Oh No; second thoughts will always burden you for years to come. Might as well take them back, and get the Stihl set-up. At least you won't have any regrets. They're all good products. It just that those second thoughts of " I wish I did"; " I should'ave"; "I should'ave"! I had that same thought about the Echo leaf blower last summer, and took it back 30 minutes after I purchased it, and bought another brand.
p.s. I'm happy that I did too.

Maybe it would have been helpful to pose this question before you made the purchase.

Be that as it may, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, as they say...

Fair enough but found out about the 15 off sale on the last day of the sale, so I purchased the above mentioned on impulse.

They are still unopened and it has been only three days so I can return them with no problem.

If so, I just want to make sure that I made the right choice as I don't know much about these brands.

I'm not real familiar with the echo stuff that you mention, but I can tell you that buying the bottom of the line stihl saw may leave you a bit dissatisfied, and give you a skewed perception of the brand.

Oh No; second thoughts will always burden you for years to come. Might as well take them back, and get the Stihl set-up. At least you won't have any regrets. They're all good products. It just that those second thoughts of " I wish I did"; " I should'ave"; "I should'ave"! I had that same thought about the Echo leaf blower last summer, and took it back 30 minutes after I purchased it, and bought another brand.
p.s. I'm happy that I did too.

Yes, I hate to have regrets but I'm afraid that these Stihl entry level equipment won't be as reliable as the Echo equivalent. I have read people advising to stay away from Stihl entry level stuff.

I'm not real familiar with the echo stuff that you mention, but I can tell you that buying the bottom of the line stihl saw may leave you a bit dissatisfied, and give you a skewed perception of the brand.

Mind sharing what problems would I encounter with Stihl entry level merchandise? Hard starting?

Most likely none. But if it did happen, you have a reliable Stihl dealer who'll make it right.

True that! :) Forgot about that. That's another reason why I want to go with Stihl, which is the after sale service.

Would like to hear from others who have tried both brands.

I'm not sure that you would have any problems, per se, but I think it would depend on the level of use and service that you plan for the equipment. My wife has a 018 that had many years of hard use on it, developed a bar oil leak in the crankcase and had the chitty "quick adjust" bar mount that was worse than worthless. Wound up rebuilding the thing on a new crankcase with new lines etc, got rid of the quick adjust. Should get another 10-12 years out of it. It sure isn't assembled the same way as my "pro" line saws...not to mention all of the features that go along with it.

I own a MS 211 Stihl chainsaw. Had it four years. Only recently it developed a cracked fuel line. Dealer replaced it. It's a great lil saw.
p.s. One secret about the single bar stud nut. The Tech told me when I purchased the saw, not to put pressure on the top of the bar. Like if you want to make an upper cut. It is not made for that type of cutting. You'll be taking it in for repairs. I've adhered to his words, and this saw has cut some big stuff for its size. :yes:
My Individual saws 017_1.jpg

I've had a bunch of small Stihl saws. They're alright but not as nice as the Echo's.
Have Stihl trimmers (3) and a BG55 blower, but I'd like to get some more Echo equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a bunch of small Stihl saws. They're alright but not as nice as the Echo's.
Have Stihl trimmers (3) and a BG55 blower, but I'd like to get some more Echo equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every man to his own taste. I've read lots of good things about Echo's, but, never did have that right feeling towards them, really.

I use Echo trimmers, chainsaws, and blowers, never a single problem out of any of them. My buddy used Stihl equipment until I let him use one of my Echo trimmers before he replaced his fleet. He still has that trimmer, bought me a new one and 10 more for his business and loves them! Last year he switched to Echo blowers as well as a couple Echo chainsaws. Local Stihl dealer is also the local Hustler dealer which my buddy also uses and when the dealer saw all that Echo stuff he was like WTF!

I've had several Echo saws over the years but never used any of them extensively. For your purposes, I think either would be ok. I bought a Stihl string trimmer in about 1999 and that really sold me on Stihl. I had used others with a great deal of frustration and that stopped. I still have and use that same trimmer. I probably have about 30 Stihl chainsaws of all sizes and prefer those over any other brand but most chainsaws will provide adequate service if they are cared for properly. I have a small Stihl 018C that I've used for years and have had little problem with it. (it's about the same as the MS170 with a bigger engine.)
A lot of it is personal preference and sometimes regional popularity.

Back