First Post: Need help please, Entry Level Stihl or Echo?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I would also stay with Echo, but I would have gotten the Echo 400 model instead of the 370. It would be more a entry level medium class saw. What ever you do DON'T fall for the cool aid of Stihl. They are only as good as any other brand but, at least here, cost way more!

Personally I would also stay with Echo, but I would have gotten the Echo 400 model instead of the 370. It would be more a entry level medium class saw. What ever you do DON'T fall for the cool aid of Stihl. They are only as good as any other brand but, at least here, cost way more!

That was my initial plan but osh does not carry the Echo 400. Got the 370 w/ coupon for around $235.

That being said, is it worth upgrading to a 400 which is $300?

I've had an Echo PB-1000 blower for over 28 years, replaced the filter and removed the spark arrestor screen. Great tool. I also have a Stihl 025 chain saw. You will do OK with either brand, but I think for what you're needing Echo will be as good as or better than Stihl.

I currently have an MS260, an 036PRO, and an 041...all Stihl saws. I also have an Echo 550EVL. That echo is old, heavy, and slow....but it cuts great and ALWAYS starts! Very well built saw! I, too, would stick with your original purchase. Echo makes a very respectable product!

The Echo 370 is a better saw than a Stihl 170 from what I can tell.

I think that's the same blower I have. Check to see if the carb has a fixed jet. If it does I would return it. Mine is non-adjustable and it's set way too lean from the factory. To the point it barely runs and has no power at all. I hate it!

I was on a job a few years back and had to have a blower so I bought one at Home Depot. When I got home I gave my 20 year old Craftsman (Ryobi) to a good friend. If I had it to do over I would have given him the new Echo. Every time he uses his blower he calls to tell me how much he loves it and appreciates the gift. I keep telling him that if he doesn't stop calling I'm going to take the blower back.

That was my initial plan but osh does not carry the Echo 400. Got the 370 w/ coupon for around $235.

That being said, is it worth upgrading to a 400 which is $300?
Personally I see no need for a saw in the sub 40cc class(of course except tophandle saws).

WHY? For me the 40cc class is a class with which it is possible to take care of all the sub 40cc work BUT also get into the occasional larger projects(for example storm damage) without too much problems.

So yes I would invest in a saw a little bit bigger. Although I am equally sure you will also be happy with your current investment.

If you're just using it for yard cleanup and cutting the occasional fallen limb, the 370 will suit you just fine. The 400 is nice because it's essentially the same saw with more power. But for what you need it for the 370 should be fine. Either one is waaaaaay better than a MS170.

If you're just using it for yard cleanup and cutting the occasional fallen limb, the 370 will suit you just fine. The 400 is nice because it's essentially the same saw with more power. But for what you need it for the 370 should be fine. Either one is waaaaaay better than a MS170.
The 170 is discontinued they are on the 171 now.from what i have seen of the stihl home owner\ farm and ranch saws they are a big bag of worms.jmho though.

I like em all..just like saws.

with that said, most new saw for the loot on a budget, poulan pro PP5020av, 200 bucks. 50cc, 20 inch bar, full 3/8ths chain.

Now I'm thinking of just returning all and buying a Stihl pro level saw for bragging rights hehe.

...and worry about the other equipment at a later date hehe.

Yeah, take all that stuff back and get a 550xp from mesupra or spike60. Send it off to be ported by a top notch guy. There are several, most of them don't post much. Then buy the cheapest POS blower you can find. It won't be worse than my Echo. Then buy a 372xp or 390xp and have it done by one of the greats. You won't need another saw. Ever.

I like em all..just like saws.

with that said, most new saw for the loot on a budget, poulan pro PP5020av, 200 bucks. 50cc, 20 inch bar, full 3/8ths chain.
YEP!! Poulan 5020av was my introduction into chainsaws...and subsequently the neverending world of CAD! :rolleyes::cry:

Agree on the Dolmar. Even their entry level saws are dependable and take cues from their pro line.

If you have a dealer nearby that is.! Dealer is everything

Keep the echos. Good stuff.

Buy a prograde used stihl off the guys here. An honest bunch of people.

Get a clean 036 here for around $300 and don't look back. Keep the lil echo for limbing.

I have over 15 saws. I grab my 12 year old top handle Echo 330 first everytime something small goes down.

Keep the echos. Good stuff.

Buy a prograde used stihl off the guys here. An honest bunch of people.

Get a clean 036 here for around $300 and don't look back. Keep the lil echo for limbing.

I have over 15 saws. I grab my 12 year old top handle Echo 330 first everytime something small goes down.
Might as well quit preaching echo.he's done made up his mind.hope he has good luck.

Great choice on your power equipment. I do landscape/ maintenance and all is stihl. My best friend is the echo guy. he tried to convert me but I am a creature of habit. The saw great pick, can not say the 171 is bad but my last 3 ms 170's had master control switch problems, the ms180 easy tension is worse than useless as outlined earlier. The hs 46 hedge trimmer isnt bad but loop size on the bar is small, I have 2. I had hs 85 but someone stole them, they were heavy but ran great for hours and good size loops, since your chainsaw is light, it can double as your big hedge trimmers, your hedge trimmers very comparable, might be tad bit lighter too. bg 56 blowers are great value for hand held blowers and are cheapest priced as all bgs as I recall are all same cc, your blower is just as comparable, good little machine. For string trimmers my favourites were my fs 85 used to buy 5 at a time, I have had 15 of them, excellent power,but heavy and hard on fuel Tap and go heads on most. My last batches of string trimmers was 2 fs 100 4 fs110 4 mix. Qiuet burned a little less fuel, smoother than 85's but no way was my echo buddy going to convert me on echo string trimmers. the echo is 1/3 smaller cc, 1/2 the weight easier to feed string through(I bought one to try it, really nice unit, my 11 yr old son uses it, like I said light, powerful, even a split shaft with a blower attachment, was cheaper than I stihl straight shaft). as I said I am a creature of habit, I ammassed many heads blades other attachments and if they break I have parts if I am stranded to rob from paul to pay peter, from old machines. the string trimmer is the single most used piece of equipment I use. my weed trimmers deserve metals for what i put them through,literally beat them soo hard that steam comes from them when they stopp running. echos seem too light for my liking despite they excell in almost every aspect, I still like my bigger cc heavier stihl trimmers, even if they consume more gas. I will never change my weed trimmers. Just my opinion, cuase I am a creature of habit. Sounds like you are too, becuase you want one brand, echos are good, but always stay in the loop. Try different things, too. p.s stihl has bigger grass guards than echos for weed trimmers, that is my only knock against echo trimmers. husky lovers feel free to chime in, same with other brand lovers, give your two cents. lastly, echo by far makes the best pole saw, period. Bar none! That is a no brAiner

Great choice on your power equipment. I do landscape/ maintenance and all is stihl. My best friend is the echo guy. he tried to convert me but I am a creature of habit. The saw great pick, can not say the 171 is bad but my last 3 ms 170's had master control switch problems, the ms180 easy tension is worse than useless as outlined earlier. The hs 46 hedge trimmer isnt bad but loop size on the bar is small, I have 2. I had hs 85 but someone stole them, they were heavy but ran great for hours and good size loops, since your chainsaw is light, it can double as your big hedge trimmers, your hedge trimmers very comparable, might be tad bit lighter too. bg 56 blowers are great value for hand held blowers and are cheapest priced as all bgs as I recall are all same cc, your blower is just as comparable, good little machine. For string trimmers my favourites were my fs 85 used to buy 5 at a time, I have had 15 of them, excellent power,but heavy and hard on fuel Tap and go heads on most. My last batches of string trimmers was 2 fs 100 4 fs110 4 mix. Qiuet burned a little less fuel, smoother than 85's but no way was my echo buddy going to convert me on echo string trimmers. the echo is 1/3 smaller cc, 1/2 the weight easier to feed string through(I bought one to try it, really nice unit, my 11 yr old son uses it, like I said light, powerful, even a split shaft with a blower attachment, was cheaper than I stihl straight shaft). as I said I am a creature of habit, I ammassed many heads blades other attachments and if they break I have parts if I am stranded to rob from paul to pay peter, from old machines. the string trimmer is the single most used piece of equipment I use. my weed trimmers deserve metals for what i put them through,literally beat them soo hard that steam comes from them when they stopp running. echos seem too light for my liking despite they excell in almost every aspect, I still like my bigger cc heavier stihl trimmers, even if they consume more gas. I will never change my weed trimmers. Just my opinion, cuase I am a creature of habit. Sounds like you are too, becuase you want one brand, echos are good, but always stay in the loop. Try different things, too. p.s stihl has bigger grass guards than echos for weed trimmers, that is my only knock against echo trimmers. husky lovers feel free to chime in, same with other brand lovers, give your two cents. lastly, echo by far makes the best pole saw, period. Bar none! That is a no brAiner

Thanks for your input...Are you saying I can substitute my chainsaw for my Hedge Trimmer?

Latest posts

Back