First Post: Need help please, Entry Level Stihl or Echo?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a Stihl FS 108 (I think) brushcutter, it was the biggest they made back in 1991, and the dealer was hopeless at tuning it, so that fell on me (at 12 years old).. a few turns with a screwdriver it's run great for 25 years now.. it doesn't get a whole lot of use, bu it runs good and has nice power, we liked it better than the huskys of the time.. The huskys had better harnesses though!
For saws I'm a die hard husky fan, though I'm going to be rebuilding an old Stihl 028 woodboss and seeing how I like it.. I know for certain it'll be better than a POULAN (absolute GARBAGE). My friend has an old Echo 4600 or something, it's his smallest saw, and he really likes it.

I wouldn't be too concerned about keeping all your equipment from one brand, get the stuff that works best for what you need it to do!

I have suggestion. Run the CS-370 until it drops dead. That will give you a long time to save up for the overpriced stuff.
Unless Jughead's observation is correct and I have a hunch that it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Macky Anthony,
Yes for tall hedges, overgrowth and sucker trees in between hedges, all done with chainsaw, then cleaned up and dressed(pointed) with hedge trimmers. It is the most productive way I could figure to cut hedges. Other option was a battery pack hand prunner but costs way too much for what my limited useage.

Macky Anthony,
Yes for tall hedges, overgrowth and sucker trees in between hedges, all done with chainsaw, then cleaned up and dressed(pointed) with hedge trimmers. It is the most productive way I could figure to cut hedges. Other option was a battery pack hand prunner but costs way too much for what my limited useage.

Thanks for the info. That helps a lot. Pretty much can't substitute each for another, hedge trimmer and chainsaw that is.

So I only had time to open and test out the blower. Started in two pulls out of the box. Dried my car in less than 3 minutes. Haven't done any yard work yet but totally worth it already! :)

Bought the Echo for $130 after coupon and all so totally worth it. Still trying to decide if I should get the pro grade hedge trimmer, HS 46.

Keeping the saw for sure though.

So definitely, I'm keeping the CS-370 and the PB-250. Now I'm thinking of returning the HC-152 (unopened) for a Stihl HS 56-CE.

Anyone here owns a HS 56?

So OK after several weeks of trying to decide, finally purchased all three of what I wanted for years: Hedge Trimmer, Chainsaw, and Blower.

For years, I've only had a Craftsman lawn mower and string trimmer. Maybe it's time to upgrade those as well....

6A1E60C2-9A02-4F90-94B0-57E7EC774373_zpsr7mdc7xt.jpg

Now I have these! :)

229C1FFD-99C3-4827-A616-D1B312665361_zps6wmgedsp.jpg

I bought a cs400 mid winter after an ice storm when my ten year old Craftsman bit the dust. Good saw, muff modded and tuned, now a really good saw. Liked it so much bought an srm225 trimmer. (Both from a dealer) That is one badass weed trimmer. If Echo made a mower, I'd buy one of them too.

Just a quick bump to my thread.

So to add to my Echo chainsaw, hedge trimmer, and blower. I purchased an Echo SRM-225. Again, after a long research on Stihl and Echo, I ended up with another Echo. And yes, if there was an Echo "Gas" mower, I would get one today! :)

So to add to my Echo chainsaw, hedge trimmer, and blower. I purchased an Echo SRM-225. Again, after a long research on Stihl and Echo, I ended up with another Echo. And yes, if there was an Echo "Gas" mower, I would get one today! :)
Mate, it feels great when you buy some decent quality new stuff. Well done!

Good choices. You would have done well with Stihl, but there's nothing wrong with Echo. Be sure you get some Echo Red Armor 50:1 oil.

Latest posts

Back