first time base gasket delete / lowering 372xpg xt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildman ben

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all decided to try and eliminate some of that excessive squish in my 372 to try and get it to run a little stronger, so I tore it down, took out the air filter holder divider just to see if there would be a difference, probably have to take the divider out in the intake boot aswell but for now leaving it in.

measured squish with no gasket got .013 so found a card that brought it up to .023 which I think is a good number from reading through posts, and that's all I've done, don't really have the know how to do much more, I polished the exhaust port up a bit it was pretty caked with carbon, same with the piston head.

now the goal here is to be able to run longer bars 28 - 32" stronger, so I'm assuming if I leave it as is with that added compression it should give me a bit more torque yea? is there any minor touch ups I could do?

Pretty much need to take the divider out of both the intake boot and the filter holder to get the benefit of that modification.
Yea I figured as much started to go that route but couldn't find any real evidence of gains vs keeping the fuel efficiency, I saw your post on another thread that you were going to remove the dividers all the way through, how did that turn out and how do you like it?

Yea I figured as much started to go that route but couldn't find any real evidence of gains vs keeping the fuel efficiency, I saw your post on another thread that you were going to remove the dividers all the way through, how did that turn out and how do you like it?

So far that mod along with a muffler and a bump in compression runs well. Definitely stronger than the stock build. I'll post a video where I ran them back to back I guess.... ONE down side is they are easy to "over choke" on cold start. Not certain why although suspect "pooling" of fuel. But mine is a three pull starter cold and also idles a lot smoother/better than the stock as well. While not a "game changer" it does improve the day to day life with that saw.

Back