First time buying climbing gear...Where to start??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khntr85

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello guys....as title says I need to buy climbing gear....I do tree removals on the side, and I have just not ever learned to climb....well now is the time....got a very knowledgeable guy that is goin to teach me...

I need to have the basics to get started...I like to buy quality equipment...who sells the best all around sets of gear???

Thanks you for any help/tips you are willing to give!!!!

My two cents is you shouldn't buy anything until learn a bit from your buddy. You can see what he uses, what he likes, doesn't like and what he would buy next. There are so many options and personal preferences out there. That being said, the most expensive stuff is usually the lightest, most advanced and customizable- you get what you pay for. I like Sherrill because they have a great master catalog and their website is pretty on it. They have pissed me off in the past, and are not necessarily the cheapest.

Treestuff is in Indianapolis. You could go there and be able to check out gear first hand, instead of through the internet.

They also have a ton of stuff on youtube.

Definitely try on your saddle before buying one. Things fit/feel different under weight than when walking around on the ground. I have a 35" waist and ended up in a size 2 Petzl Sequoia because the size 1 was ridiculously small around my waist.

Just don't cheap out on your saddle or your gaff pads... you'll have a very uncomfortable learning experience ;)
I have geko''s now but after years of buying different pads I felt it a necessity to get the best i could afford. To be honest if you think you plan to stay in trees long enough and you have the cash then gekos, caddy pads or stiff wraps are recommended. This of course is depending if you are going to do removals. If your in it just for fun or are doing pruning then srt set-ups would be the better option. I am still not satisfied with my own set-up and am planning to get the hh will combine it with my new hass and cmi foot ascender and a hand ascender or a loop for shorter climbs I don't feel the wraptor is necessary on! I have the wrench stiff tether and hitch climber pulley its ok but I really prefer a compact set up.

Treestuff.com all the way.

I would recommend a midddle of the pack saddle to start out with ( I reccomend the buckingham Rebellion) but if you're gonna go all out get a treemotion or a monkey beaver belt. MCRS. Is also a good option I've heard.

Personally I've climbed on 3 saddles
1) weaver wide backed 4 D- horrible for me since I spend a lot of time hanging in my saddle, but it's really good for being on spikes. I bought it before I knew anything about treework or these forums) -$180 or so

2) buckingham Rebellion- my favorite saddle for about a year. I have little to complain about it for it's price @ $300. It's a great saddle for those on a budget. Great gear storage and the rope ridge and leg loops are awesome.

3) TreeMOTION- I have only climbed on it for a few weeks but I can tell that it's by far the most comfortable saddle I've ever climbed in. It's amazing in how well it hugs your body once you get it adjusted, I would buy another in a heartbeat. Pricey at around $509 but worth it

I have geko''s now but after years of buying different pads I felt it a necessity to get the best i could afford. To be honest if you think you plan to stay in trees long enough and you have the cash then gekos, caddy pads or stiff wraps are recommended. This of course is depending if you are going to do removals. If your in it just for fun or are doing pruning then srt set-ups would be the better option. I am still not satisfied with my own set-up and am planning to get the hh will combine it with my new hass and cmi foot ascender and a hand ascender or a loop for shorter climbs I don't feel the wraptor is necessary on! I have the wrench stiff tether and hitch climber pulley its ok but I really prefer a compact set up.
RopeRunner all the way

Damn guys really appreciate it...ya I am talking to guys, and getting an idea of what's what!!!

I can't believe I didn't know treestuff was in Indy man, thanks a lot!!!!

Thanks for all the help!!

I haven't committed to anything more than a 3-hole tending pulley for my main line, and a ISC foot ascender. I just don't have enough time using it to know what I'd like to change. The rope wrench is a nice tool, so is the Unicender and rope runner, but then so is a Zig-zag... They're all $$$. lol

I've got a rope grab on my lanyard, use prussic and a pulley on my flip line, and have a figure 8 for rappelling. The rope grab is pretty sweet for tending slack but it doesn't have any "throttle" under load (squeeze it and you're gone). I'm actually going to play with other flip line friction knots the next time I climb to see if I can get better results with a Klemheist.

I agree with green on everything lol. But it should be noted that the RR is still very compact for spar work. The RR is amazing as long as yi don't sudeload it like an idiot. But that's a very avoidable thing. The RR tends like a dream both ascending and just eating slack. I've used it both SRT&MRT and it performs very smoothly with both.
It should also be noted that I used to climb on a zigzag( still own it) and the rope runner is a much more versatile piece of equipment. Although you can add a wrench to the zigzag and make it work srt and stay 100% mechanical. But I digress lol
My point is I haven't touched my zigzag more than 5 times since I bought my runner. SRT all the way. ( for what it's worth I run it on tachyon T and use a base anchor, an 5'9" and weigh about 160 lbs with full gear.

I agree with green on everything lol. But it should be noted that the RR is still very compact for spar work. The RR is amazing as long as yi don't sudeload it like an idiot. But that's a very avoidable thing. The RR tends like a dream both ascending and just eating slack. I've used it both SRT&MRT and it performs very smoothly with both.
It should also be noted that I used to climb on a zigzag( still own it) and the rope runner is a much more versatile piece of equipment. Although you can add a wrench to the zigzag and make it work srt and stay 100% mechanical. But I digress lol
My point is I haven't touched my zigzag more than 5 times since I bought my runner. SRT all the way. ( for what it's worth I run it on tachyon T and use a base anchor, an 5'9" and weigh about 160 lbs with full gear.
See, I like side loading my HH. It let's you work off the side of leaning spars. So I've thought about the RR, but never pulled the trigger for that reason.

Back