First time with hickory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very jealous of your hickory, I would save some out for some axe handle staves. Can't buy a good axe handle here and the ones you buy online are a crap shoot

Seal the end grain asap - I milled some 2" thick hickory and the boards about cracked in half in 4 months.....

Very jealous of your hickory, I would save some out for some axe handle staves. Can't buy a good axe handle here and the ones you buy online are a crap shoot

If you have a FedEx account number (to cover shipping costs) I'd be more than happy to ship you a 5' or 6' length thats 2" thick, about 24" wide - long checking but you'll be able to get some handles out of it for sure.

@ TedyOH Thanks for the offer, I think shipping to s.e. Alaska is going to be very expensive since every thing gets here from them by air

@ duckman I've used house handle once, they sent me twisted junk and squawked like hell when I asked them to replace it

I sealed the ends the night I finished the log. Now just have 1 more log to go, been too cold and snowy lately. I have a hard time deciding whether to mill it or chunk it up for firewood as I need both!

Back