First try at milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeckSetter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Finally got a Granberg and started working on a couple black walnut logs that have been sitting for 2 years.

The CS-8000 did ok until the recoil assembly came apart. Haven't been able to find another one yet. I can already tell I'm going to need to rig up an auxiliary throttle and figure out how to get the log off the ground.

c452d4f0f8e7034acd0c574291d96ec4.jpg
462074b8bc9da6122d2cb36730382c6f.jpg
2845a6ed195dcb72a059b20e466c9051.jpg
0452e42bc0e4dacd30967c35bd352145.jpg

The slabs are about 8ft long, 20" wide x 2 1/4" thick.

Looks good. You'll find that if the log is freshly cut it'll be easier/softer to mill through than with a log that's dried out. And having the log up a couple feet and on a downward angle makes it a lot easier too.

Lots of ways to get the log on a slope. Bolt a piece of angle iron to the end, chock the log so it can't roll and use a bumper jack. Dig out a little hole on the end, chock so it can't roll and use a floor jack. Build an "A" frame or swing set, hang a pulley on it and use the truck to pull it up. Throw a rope over a sturdy limb and pull it up. I built a swing set or gantry on the back of my dump trailer to lift logs on, it worked great, Joe.

Lots of ways to get the log on a slope. Bolt a piece of angle iron to the end, chock the log so it can't roll and use a bumper jack. Dig out a little hole on the end, chock so it can't roll and use a floor jack. Build an "A" frame or swing set, hang a pulley on it and use the truck to pull it up. Throw a rope over a sturdy limb and pull it up. I built a swing set or gantry on the back of my dump trailer to lift logs on, it worked great, Joe.

Where in MD are you? I have seen you post that second pic before and I think I know where that was.... Wedgewood Rd in DE maybe?

The second pic was taken in Mt Airy. The home owner planted a Dawn Redwood back in the 50's or 60's. His son hated it. About a week after the old guy passed away his son had the tree taken down, and gave me 3 logs, 1 eight foot and 2 seven foot, Joe.

Back