Fiskars X27 What a Piece of Plastic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was using the x27 today to see how filling the handle with foam worked, and decided it would be better if the head weighed a little more. After digging thru my scrap metal bin a came up with a piece only slightly wider than the poll of the fiskers.
A couple of holes in the block of steel, matching threaded holes in the poll of the fiskers. two 3/8 fine thread bolts with lock washers and I now have a heavier x27. The block extends over the handle an inch or so and is still slightly wider than the poll. I didn't weigh the added steel before I put it on but guess it is about a pound and a quarter.
Tomarrow I'll grind on it a little to make a smoother transition and give it a try.

Whoop! You know we will need pics!!

I was using the x27 today to see how filling the handle with foam worked, and decided it would be better if the head weighed a little more. After digging thru my scrap metal bin a came up with a piece only slightly wider than the poll of the fiskers.
A couple of holes in the block of steel, matching threaded holes in the poll of the fiskers. two 3/8 fine thread bolts with lock washers and I now have a heavier x27. The block extends over the handle an inch or so and is still slightly wider than the poll. I didn't weigh the added steel before I put it on but guess it is about a pound and a quarter.
Tomarrow I'll grind on it a little to make a smoother transition and give it a try. The extra weight above the poll should make it flip better as well as better straight spliting.
I've been thinking about something like this in my head for some time. Looking forward to seeing how it actually looks and works!!!!

Pics please!

Did you guys know that you can buy a Council Tool 6# maul for $25 shipped? I mean why would anyone buy a Fiskars at double the price????

What type of foam? Some, like the 2 part foam used for boat flotation will cure in cavities, like a Fiskars handle.

Some, like the window/door sealant in a can, will not cure if not exposed to air.

Some of the fiberglass, sectional poles used with pole saws are foam filled, but they are a lot longer!

Philbert

Tomarrow I'll grind on it a little to make a smoother transition and give it a try. The extra weight above the poll should make it flip better as well as better straight spliting.

Has Fiskars replaced the X27? I was in Wal Mart the other day and checked the rack. There is a Fiskars Chopping Ax that looks identical to the x27 but only a skimpy head cover. No "X27" marking on it. It felt heavier than my X27 but I could be mistaken. If it is heavier, I would like one! Price was $59

Harry K

I checked a local Wal-Mart recently. Still had the X27, but with a black handle and without the plastic sheath. Also had the chopping axe and the small hatchet. But the display was such a mess that you could not tell which was which, or how much each one was, unless you already were quite familiar with these products.

Philbert

What type of foam? Some, like the 2 part foam used for boat flotation will cure in cavities, like a Fiskars handle.

Some, like the window/door sealant in a can, will not cure if not exposed to air.

Some of the fiberglass, sectional poles used with pole saws are foam filled, but they are a lot longer!

Philbert
A small local manufacturing concern that is operating with some ancient equipment occasionally has me "forge" parts for their maintance department. They use a gun that mixes the two part stuff in their packing department. I took the fiskars in last time I dropped off parts and had a little squrited into the handle. It did help dampen the vibrations that were bugging me.

I split a lot of wood by hand. Most of my life I used a standard 8 pound mall. I drank the kooliade and purchased an x27.

At first it didn't work well. A little more research revealed that I was doing it wrong. To make up for its lack of mass, the x27 needs more speed than a traditional maul.

Once I figured out how to swing faster, I find that the x27 almost always splits easier, better, faster than a traditional maul.

I also find the x27 rarely gets stuck in an unsplit piece of wood. And it's much lighter to carry and work with.

Even though I have options, I generally choose the x27 for splitting by hand.

I split a lot of wood by hand. Most of my life I used a standard 8 pound mall. I drank the kooliade and purchased an x27.

At first it didn't work well. A little more research revealed that I was doing it wrong. To make up for its lack of mass, the x27 needs more speed than a traditional maul.

Once I figured out how to swing faster, I find that the x27 almost always splits easier, better, faster than a traditional maul.

I also find the x27 rarely gets stuck in an unsplit piece of wood. And it's much lighter to carry and work with.

I also have the x27 and have no issues with it. I also think its all about the speed.

I love my X27. I don't use it much, but it sure does come in handy sometimes. Just this year, I cut a tree (don't know what kind it was), but my log splitter couldn't put a dent in any of the rounds. I couldn't believe it. I was about to noodle the rounds, but then decided to try the X27 on them. That X27 split every one of those rounds. Oh sure.... it took a lot of work. I just couldn't believe that little X27 split all those rounds when my log splitter couldn't put a dent any ANY of them.

Pretty much sums it all up right here.

I love my X27. I don't use it much, but it sure does come in handy sometimes. Just this year, I cut a tree (don't know what kind it was), but my log splitter couldn't put a dent in any of the rounds. I couldn't believe it. I was about to noodle the rounds, but then decided to try the X27 on them. That X27 split every one of those rounds. Oh sure.... it took a lot of work. I just couldn't believe that little X27 split all those rounds when my log splitter couldn't put a dent any ANY of them.
Sounds like a sycamore, some of them totaly frustrate hydro splitters but are easy to bust up by hand if you work around the edges taking off tangent splits.
The fiskars has its place, for some, but lacks the weight needed for most of my splitting.
The shape of the cheeks could be improved by making them a little convex. Nothing can be easily done about that, but I have added weight to the poll of mine which improved penetration and had no noticeable effect on speed. It now splits close to as well as my old 5 pound rafting pattern ax. I had to choke up about 6 inches on the rafting ax for comparison because of its longer haft.
I think I hit more accurately with the hafts I make because they have flatter sides, more like a board than a pole, as well as faster and harder because of the length.
I felt kind of pumy today so mostly laid around, tomarrow I'll try to give it a good workout.

I also have the x27 and have no issues with it. I also think its all about the speed.

It is about the speed:

Energy = .5 x Mass x velocity ^ 2

Assume: Mass = 2, velocity = 10 then energy out would be 100

Assume: Mass = 4, velocity = 10 then energy out would be 200

Assume: Mass = 2, velocity =14.14 then energy out would be 200

You either need to increase mass by 100% or increase velocity by 41% to get the same energy output.

It is about the speed:

Energy = .5 x Mass x velocity ^ 2

Assume: Mass = 2, velocity = 10 then energy out would be 100

Assume: Mass = 4, velocity = 10 then energy out would be 200

Assume: Mass = 2, velocity =14.14 then energy out would be 200

You either than to increase mass by 100% or increase velocity by 41% to get the same energy output.

@Whitespider, want some :popcorn2:

And mass, and accuracy of the swing, and how long you can swing it if you need to go all day, and the head design, and the atmospheric pressure, and the moon phase.

Once all the variables are entered in this math becomes a headache.

No doubt other factors are at play, but energy is the primary factor.

I know my experience with mauls that head shape and design plays a large factor in the effectiveness of the tool. I have a couple mauls that are next to worthless without grinding down the shape of the head.

No doubt other factors are at play, but energy is the primary factor.

I know my experience with mauls that head shape and design plays a large factor in the effectiveness of the tool. I have a couple mauls that are next to worthless without grinding down the shape of the head.

Yep, I bought a new "Collins" mall, The slope from poin to main part is so steep, I can't even get it to stick in Willow.
Since I rarely use it as a maul, I haven' ground the cheeks down yet.
Harry K

Latest posts

Back