Fiskars X27 What a Piece of Plastic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you bust the handle of your fiskars, drill a couple of holes in from the poll then cut thru the handle area, thread the holes in the blade side, enlarge the poll holes to take bolts, make a haft and reassemble like the vario. Call it Franken-ax, it lives!
That sounds terrible

#cant'-wait-to-try-it!

Really stoked! Added some veneer to my Fiskars' plastic handle (beech? butternut?). REAL wood. This might be bigger than the Piltz sprocket! I expect my performance to double at least.
(But I'm 'gonna be really p.o.'d if I get splinters. . . . )

View attachment 392466
View attachment 392467

Philbert
Still the best post of 15'

$55 that's what makes them pound for pound champ. I'm not arguing a wetterlings isn'ta great splitting device, because it is, but for the price.......you can NOT beat a x27. Period.

$55 that's what makes them pound for pound champ. I'm not arguing a wetterlings isn'ta great splitting device, because it is, but for the price.......you can NOT beat a x27. Period.
No you can't.

I see the average price has gone up but there are still a few good deals. When I bought mine it was $49 shipped a couple years ago so not too bad considering the popularity of these.

No you can't.

I see the average price has gone up but there are still a few good deals. When I bought mine it was $49 shipped a couple years ago so not too bad considering the popularity of these.

Here's a question for you svk. I've got both X27's. The orange handled Hogue-type rubber grip one, and the all black one where they tried to give the handle the carbon fiber look. When I went on amazon about a week back, I noticed most of the straight black axes (both splitting and chopping) were discontinued from fiskars. I'm trying to find out whether they were a limited production run, or if some other issues cropped up with them.....

Here's a question for you svk. I've got both X27's. The orange handled Hogue-type rubber grip one, and the all black one where they tried to give the handle the carbon fiber look. When I went on amazon about a week back, I noticed most of the straight black axes (both splitting and chopping) were discontinued from fiskars. I'm trying to find out whether they were a limited production run, or if some other issues cropped up with them.....
Someone else chime in if I'm wrong here but I think the all black version was put out last year primarily for big boxes and they only made a limited run of them. IIRC they were a few bucks cheaper but the important part (the head) was identical.

I remember the orange handled models being replaced by the all black models in our local Wal-Marts. I assumed they were the newest and most recent models(all black)?
Thats all I know from what I saw here in our area, and yea, I noticed the head was identical.

I bought one of those all black ones from the on-line Farm and Fleet location a couple of weeks ago. It was indeed a bit cheaper than what I found for an X27 but it seems to work just fine. The only difference I know of is that the orange crap is some kind of shock absorbing rubber. The all black one uses what looks like a carbon fiber handle with a molded grip area instead of the orange rubbery stuff.

Someone else chime in if I'm wrong here but I think the all black version was put out last year primarily for big boxes and they only made a limited run of them. IIRC they were a few bucks cheaper but the important part (the head) was identical.

Okay, that would make sense seeing as that I scooped it up while I was at Walmart last year.

I'd say you're right... I picked up my all black version at Wal-Mart about 6 months ago for a whopping $40. First thing I did was go compare it to my cousin's orange-handled X27 and it was identical... It has split roughly 5 cords since then with no signs of slowing down.

When you bust the handle of your fiskars, drill a couple of holes in from the poll then cut thru the handle area, thread the holes in the blade side, enlarge the poll holes to take bolts, make a haft and reassemble like the vario. Call it Franken-ax, it lives!
still would like to see this. sounds like a good idea, just can't visualize it.

Back