Fiskars X27 What a Piece of Plastic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys. I bought a new fiskars axe yesterday, more precisely the Fiskars x25. Was pretty exited about it, especially since it only received good reviews. But when I started using it I noticed after 5-10 hits that it started to get burred on the edge, is this normal and has this something to do with the weak steel I read more and more about? Or am I just unlucky and grabbed exactly the faulty one. I by the way didnt hit any stone and use a wooden block beneath my logs.

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it , I'll bet that it will split as good just like that as a sharp one does , if you're going to sharpen it , just use a file and get rid of the burr from the rolled over metal , a block of wood won't care if a splitting axe will shave or not ..... Just sayin , YMMV .

The orange grip on the X-27 is about the only difference besides colors. I think the handle is too slick without the orange grippy.

I thought the angle of the head was less aggressive, narrower at the rear. Not sure. Chopping axe seems too "slim" to pop the wood. Never had an x27 in hand or side by side.

Chop-3X-deeper_width980.jpg

chopping

One-Strike-splits_width980.jpg

Splitting. Wider head

Well they do list a "28" chopping axe" with an all black handle also.

Not sure the difference between the "X" , the black handle line....or maybe that is it....heh

The black handle line does not carry the "X-##" designation for some reason and run about $10 cheaper. The X-1# series are for chopping and the X-2# series is splitting. I would like to get a X-15 or X-17 for limbing and driving wedges. I have the X-7 and it's just too short to do work with and it makes it somewhat dangerous IMO.

Just looked things up here; X17 is a splitting axe with 23.5'' handle and has a swell on the face just like any of the fiskars (x25, x27 etc.)
The X15 is a chopping axe with 23.5" and smooth sides on the head.
Ain't the internet grand?

Fiskars has made lots of changes over the years, including names and colors, but also head shapes, etc. Hard to keep track.

As far as the slippery handle, two words: 'Hockey tape'.

Philbert

What ever happened to the op of this thread ? Has not checked in for a while .

So here's one for you Fiskar fans to mull over...anybody have access to a new Fiskars still wearing the non slip coating on the head to test against a well worn model to see if that coating really matters? I think @zogger uses Teflon spray on his so that could be tested as well. Anyone???

Latest posts

Back