Fiskars x39 "Spalthammer"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used a sledge to hit the back of the Halder, I just use the back of the Halder to hit splitting wedges.

Oh and just to be clear this isn't the Fiskars "spalthammer" it's the Halder splitting maul. I guess I probably should have made a new thread instead of tacking this Halder review onto the end of the "Fiskars Spalthammer" thread.

It seems to be about as effective as my other heavy mauls. My 28 inch Fiskars "Super Splitter" has them all beat, I do most of my splitting with it.

You use any firs?
I found that firs can be a bit too stringy for my Fiskars.
The Fiskars get burried and stuck alot in my fir rounds.
Straight grain maples and ash get eaten up by my Fiskars all day.
I save the firs and knotted maples for my Oxhead and sometimes wedge.

Yeah I do get the Fiskars hung up in fir rounds sometimes especially if they are knotted. I usually break out one of my bigger mauls when I get into that type of wood.

Yeah I do get the Fiskars hung up in fir rounds sometimes especially if they are knotted. I usually break out one of my bigger mauls when I get into that type of wood.

Yep. There is _no_ tool that does everything. My kit is X27, 6lb maul, steel wedges and 8lb sledge, splitter, chainsaw. All will get used in most splitting sessions with rejects from teh 'wedge/sledge' moving on to the 'hydraulic splitter' pile. Rejects from there go to the "to be noodled pile"

Harry K

So, what happened to the x37, 39, and 46. The thread went to hell.
Where can one get one? I have a friend that lives in the UK, she is from Germany. So, if available either place, I could get one here. She comes over in April I think.
Has anyone used them?
Thanks
Wags

They are available in Germay, just google "Fiskars spalthammer" and a bunch of German sites come up. Your friend is German so that shouldn't be a problem. Haver her bring you one and give us a report!

I looked on the German site and could not find it listed anymore. I will check again today. Her family loves me. Her dad would be so happy to get one for her to bring over. I will give it a try and see what happens.
Thanks
Wags

I found them on Amazon germany. They are not in the UK unfortunately. Her Dad will probably be thrilled to get one and ship it.
I think I settled on the x39. I really don't know why. Just middle to see what I liked. I'm sure if I don't like it, someone will buy it. Since there will be 1 in the US.
Any thoughts? Input?
Thanks
Wags

Yeah that x39 looks pretty cool, it's got a replaceable polymer for driving wedges. Should be easy to sell if you don't like it. Hell I'll probably buy it:laugh:

Maybe I should just get all 3. Hell, shippinng won't be a huge amount more. I am pretty sure I could sell whichever one(s) I don't want.
I am waiting to hear from her Dad. Will go from there.
Wags

I looked on the German site and could not find it listed anymore. I will check again today. Her family loves me. Her dad would be so happy to get one for her to bring over. I will give it a try and see what happens.
Thanks
Wags

Nowadays I wouldn't try carrying a splathammer through homerland security airport checkpoints....nope, wouldn't do it.

proly better idea to ship it somehow.

Looking forward to a review, they look cool!

Wonder why fiskars doesn't sell them in the US?

Nowadays I wouldn't try carrying a splathammer through homerland security airport checkpoints....nope, wouldn't do it.
She could pack it in a bag
proly better idea to ship it somehow.

Looking forward to a review, they look cool!

Lawyers.
Wags

Patent issues maybe?

Not a big enough annual production to satisfy German / Nordic and North American markets?

Don't want to deal with us crazy Americans and our desire for everything to be bigger and longer? :yoyo:

Doesn't have a starter cord?

Harry K

Bwa! That's pretty funny!

I think a lot of it is just price. USA has evolved to "cheaper is better" for most things. A lowly "splitting maul" is 20 bucks to most guys, more than that..cuts into the beer budget and so on.

I was actually surprised to see the x25 at wallyworld. I don't know if they sold very many at the local store. It's hard to get guys to think a smaller lighter splitting axe can outperform the old heavy ones just staring at some in the rack at the store. They have never seen one, no one they know has ever used one, the price is twice as much, etc.

Of the two places locally I have talked them up, the Ace where I bought mine still doesn't carry them in stock, but the local saw shop does now.

Well, I ordered an X27 since none found locally. It should be here in the next day or so. I will give it a shot.
Great news is chics dad is all happy to get and ship me an X39. (He actually wanted to know if I wanted a few of them for my buddies. He has met my friends when they visited here. We are just county folkks, so pretty easy to like.) I'd assume that would be a couple of weeks. But her dad is a real go getter. He will do it with German efficiency. They are a different breed of people. Like USA used to be... back when men were men.
I told him to ship the one and if it was kick ass I would see if anyone wanted one. Then go from there. I assume shipping won't be cheap. But one of a few in the states.. priceless!
Wags

Back