Fix persimon planting error?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielinTheLionsDen

Reaction score
Last fall I planted a 4ft American persimmon. It was shipped to me in August in a 4 X 4 x 10 pot with an air pruning bottom. It was supposed to have been shipped in November, during the dormant season. It was a little roughed up since it had been shipped during the growing season but I went ahead and hardened it off and planted it. Since it was in such a small pot the roots had grown down to the bottom and then were starting to grow back up again. It didn't notice any growing around the pot but I could have over looked that. I was able to free some of the roots but still being new at tree planting I didn't realize how critical it is to get all of them freed to avoid girdling roots later. I was more concerned about giving it transplant shock from disturbing the roots too much during the growing season. Now after learning more about the risk of girdling roots I'm wondering if I need to take corrective action.

Should I dig it back up this fall and try to correct the roots? I'm pretty sure it's too late to dig it up now since it has already broken dormancy. Would it be possible to gently dig soil away from the roots to try to determine if there are any roots that are growing in a girdling formation?

Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back