Flat roofing under deck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Not chainsaw related unless I need one for demo in which case which one?

Anyways I'm ripping my deck off my house because it was installed wrong many years ago by whoever. Replacing some rotted wood on the house and putting a deck back.

I have a foundation under my deck which is part of my basement and has my water service in it. I need to put a water tight flat roof on so I can insulate the room and open it up to the basement again. Currently it's sealed off and gets to 30 or less degrees in the winter . I have the line insulated and heat taped but it still worries me.

So peel and seal roofing over the roof deck I will be installing with zero pitch or epdm rubber roof or something else? I also considered off coated aluminum and sealing the seams. I'll do ice shield or tar paper under it all except for the epdm.

Suggestions?

Fully adhered 60 mil EPDM roof. Either coated, or gravel ballast. Don't waste your time and money on anything less, you'll just be doing it all over again when it starts leaking. Yellow mastic to adhere the membrane, you'll want a very solid, new deck... double layer of 5/8" or 3/4" exterior grade OSB. Details are everything. Butyl seam caulk is your friend. Latex roof coating will require recoating every few years... polyurea won't, but is very expensive because it requires the same equipment to spray as polyurethane foam (with modifications to keep the hose temperatures higher). Gravel is cheap and lasts forever, but heavy... hence my deck suggestions.

Familiarize yourself with the required edge treatments/materials... metal, gravel stop, etc... before attempting a ballasted EPDM roof. You want to get it right the first time. Mistakes are costly! Get someone with EPDM membrane experience to help you if it's your first stab at a fully adhered membrane roof.

:D

I would put at least a shallow pitch on it. If it's flat the water won't be able to drain.

I'm going to pitch it as much as I can. If I could cut the foundation down a foot I'd be able to pitch it but it's about 8 inches from the bottom of the door.

I'm basically building a flat roof on the foundation then setting a deck back on it later.

Latest posts

Back