Flowering dogwood with problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PostOak1707

Reaction score
I was called in to take a look at a flowering dogwood in Georgia by a large landscaping company who has had different arborists taking care of the tree from other large companies outside of town. The tree is showing a very sparse upper crown and much of the remaining foliage is showing early fall color. I will post some pictures. There is also a new placard with pesticide/herbicide warning. I have spoken with this landscaper on pervious occasions and know that the other arborists/tree companies were doing some sort of fertilizer program that was supposedly directed toward root growth. The symptoms seem to be very similar to drought stress and I will definitely have to check in about how much irrigation there has been for the tree. This is a very old flowering dogwood and it looks like it may have some anthracnose in the crown, but I suspect the main issue is over-fertilization of this tree. I would be interested in hearing some fellow arborist input.

Early fall color.
Early Fall Color.jpg

Very sparse upper crown.
Sparce crown.jpg

Another shot of sparse crown with fall color.
Crown pic.jpg

Only really "healthy" looking foliage on one small section of consisting of mostly epicormic shoots.
Healthiest foliage on shoots.jpg

Evidence?
Evidence.jpg

I agree... Too much fertilizer. Why fertilize a perennially sick tree? Tree energy comes from that which is stored or that which is produced real time. Make a sick tree grow with fertilizer and you could very well be pushing the tree beyond its capability to produce the needed energy to sustain that growth. This weakens defense. The opportunistic predators follow.

And what is their "fertilizer program" for trees that specifically produces root growth?

I am going to head by the tree again and to speak with the landscaper. I will see if I can find any evidence of borer damage and what information he can fill me in on. Thanks for your input!

I am brand new to this forum and already this seems like a great place to share and learn. I am looking forward posting more!

Back