Foot slingshot used to set traverse

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moss

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I found that when I wanted to set a tree-to-tree traverse in the woods that hand-throwing was too limiting in distance and the path to the second tree has to be fairly clear to make the throw. To solve I designed a slingshot that mounts on my foot. It throws an 8oz bag on a flat enough trajectory to sneak by obstacles and get to a branch 50' away and probably further, haven't tested that yet. I put a small grapple on my throwline to go get the bag and bring it back after it's over the branch.

Here's video showing my first test up in a woods tree:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZRvYqMAVMw
-moss

i always wondered how you get the other end of your throwbag...that was clever! It looks like you have to leave alot hanging down in order to pull your throwbag back correct? quality vid..that was pro...

Thanks for posting. Yeah, I bet you almost ^%$# a brick when you heard that limb pop.

Why are you always in the pines?

Thanks for posting. Yeah, I bet you almost ^%$# a brick when you heard that limb pop.

Why are you always in the pines?

They're the tallest and most challenging trees to climb in my area (New England). Best chance of getting a view at the top. I climb plenty of hardwoods too, just going through a white pine phase.
-moss

Hi Treeman, Moss, etc.

I can attest to the awesomeness of climbing big pines. Since they have small tops, once you get above the canopy of smaller pines and hardwoods, you're out in the open. The views are awesome. The sap is a bummer, however.

Moss, I might have missed this part about the traverse: how did you anchor the line to the other tree? Did you send a running bowline back?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Treeman, Moss, etc.

I can attest to the awesomeness of climbing big pines. Since they have small tops, once you get above the canopy of smaller pines and hardwoods, you're out in the open. The views are awesome. The sap is a bummer, however.

Moss, I might have missed this part about the traverse: how did you anchor the line to the other tree? Did you send a running bowline back?

Thanks,

Bob

I cinched it with a 10mm delta screwlink, same principle as a running bowline.

We're having an exceptionally heavy sap year because of the bumper crop of cones (drip-drip off the cones). Also the tree in question has a lot of damage from last winters ice storms so there's pitch running all over the place from broken stubs. Many white pines that I've climbed have very little pitch, particularly the ones in sheltered locations protected by high ridges.
-moss

I had to watch that vid again. Moss how did you not get covered in sap? I have never seen anything like that. I will be checking out my pines this weekend. Once again that is a great invention.

I have just gotten used to using my big shot. The trick was a lighter thro weight and thinner line. (6oz on that throw weight)

I had to watch that vid again. Moss how did you not get covered in sap? I have never seen anything like that. I will be checking out my pines this weekend. Once again that is a great invention.

I have just gotten used to using my big shot. The trick was a lighter thro weight and thinner line. (6oz on that throw weight)

I wear Atlas grippy gloves to keep it off my hands and sleeves on my lanyard and climbing rope, and accept that whatever I'm wearing will become part of the permanent white pine clothing collection. It's not that bad even in the drippiest pines. Normally woods white pines don't have that much pitch on the trunk and branches. It's the damaged ones that have the most. I had to switch from a 10oz to a 12oz bag when firing my Sidewinder (big slingshot) from the ground, the cones got the throwline sticky enough that the 10oz wasn't coming down well enough. I doubt I could get a 6oz bag to come down out of a pine or most trees except maybe beech. Rubbing alcohol when I get back home to take sap off arms and wherever else it ends up on skin.
-moss

Last edited:
Very innovative way to get the throw bag back!

Did you make that small grapnel hook?

Thanks for sharing.

The throwbag return technique is not mine, well it's like most good ideas, part of a creative chain, I made some adjustments to an existing technique to make it work best for me.

New Tribe makes and sells the grapnel. If I had a stick welder, some oxy-acetylene tanks and a big vise I would make it myself :) Unfortunately I don't have any shop access right now.
-moss

Hey Moss, It was kinda like watching a 007 movie till the limb cracked and the mood shifted to like an old Peter Sellers (Pink Panther) movie. I wish we could have seen the look on your face when that happened...lol. Cool little device you got there. I gotta get a cam some day. Thanks for sharing.

The mood shifted for me when that two-cycle engine started wailing in the background. That was a solo operation so I was nervous before the branch snapped, it kind of kicked my butt and made me get over it. Sometimes when those things happen it's just the right motivation to get your head back on straight. Always lessons in a tree.
-moss

The throwbag return technique is not mine, well it's like most good ideas, part of a creative chain, I made some adjustments to an existing technique to make it work best for me.

New Tribe makes and sells the grapnel. If I had a stick welder, some oxy-acetylene tanks and a big vise I would make it myself :) Unfortunately I don't have any shop access right now.
-moss

Nice video!!! I noticed that you dropped your original tie in during the traverse. If that branch did break your micro ascender would not arrest your fall and you would slide to the end of the traverse line and hit the knot, biner & branch at the other end - maybe too hard. Looks scary for a solo climb!!!

The sling shot is cool, easily packed and nice shot (first take?). I like your grapnel, too - been thinking of buying one. At $27, the grapnel is probably not worth DIY. Have you had any experience with getting the grapnel hungup and freed?

Last edited:
Nice video!!! I noticed that you dropped your original tie in during the traverse. If that branch did break your micro ascender would not arrest your fall and you would slid to the end of the traverse line and hit the knot, biner & branch at the other end - maybe too hard. Looks scary for a solo climb!!!

The darker green rope is my lanyard (what you call my original tie-in) it wouldn't have reached all the way across the traverse. I went out on the traverse line (Tachyon) first with the lanyard to test it before I videotaped, but not far enough out to pop the small branch that went during the video. The traverse line was anchored on solid limbs so I wasn't worried about them breaking out and I wasn't worried about the Tachyon breaking. So I wasn't counting on the Microcender to save me if a TIP blew out. Swing impact against the trunk would've been the most serious hazard I think. It was a little scary going over, psychological more than actual danger. Coming back felt great since I'd verified it all solid going over.

The sling shot is cool, easily packed and nice shot (first take?). I like your grapnel, too - been thinking of buying one. At $27, the grapnel is probably not worth DIY. Have you had any experience with getting the grapnel hungup and freed?

It took three shots to get the branch, the camera was in the way pulling back the sling so it was awkward, not saying I would've got it on the first but there was a reasonable chance. That was my first in-tree test so I was pleased getting it in three with the camera in the way.

I've never got the grapnel hung, I suppose it will happen sometime, the design makes it grab throwline well but it seems to resist grabbing thicker branches.
-moss

The darker green rope is my lanyard (what you call my original tie-in) it wouldn't have reached all the way across the traverse. I went out on the traverse line (Tachyon) first with the lanyard to test it before I videotaped, but not far enough out to pop the small branch that went during the video. The traverse line was anchored on solid limbs so I wasn't worried about them breaking out and I wasn't worried about the Tachyon breaking. So I wasn't counting on the Microcender to save me if a TIP blew out. Swing impact against the trunk would've been the most serious hazard I think. It was a little scary going over, psychological more than actual danger. Coming back felt great since I'd verified it all solid going over.

It took three shots to get the branch, the camera was in the way pulling back the sling so it was awkward, not saying I would've got it on the first but there was a reasonable chance. That was my first in-tree test so I was pleased getting it in three with the camera in the way.

I've never got the grapnel hung, I suppose it will happen sometime, the design makes it grab throwline well but it seems to resist grabbing thicker branches.
-moss

Well good show, I'm glad it worked out - I was worried for you - I would have needed a backup TP. And, I'm sold on that grapnel - guess I'll have to get one.

Nice video.. note of caution... rubbing alchohol is ethyl alchohol... goes right through the skin and impaires the liver... I used grain alchohol until someone stole my botle..

If you have ground support... just throw the tail of your line over the limb... have a groundy take a quick wrap and hold until you pull yourself over.. Nice to be able to do the lone ranger thing if needed... and from a production perspective... a bit painful to watch...

Still great job on the video and cool idea for the foot sling shot.. Tahnks for sharing

Back