Foot slingshot used to set traverse

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice video.. note of caution... rubbing alchohol is ethyl alchohol... goes right through the skin and impaires the liver... I used grain alchohol until someone stole my botle..

If you have ground support... just throw the tail of your line over the limb... have a groundy take a quick wrap and hold until you pull yourself over.. Nice to be able to do the lone ranger thing if needed... and from a production perspective... a bit painful to watch...

Still great job on the video and cool idea for the foot sling shot.. Tahnks for sharing

I use bleach to get the sap off my hands and it works for poison ivy too just have to watch getting it in the eyes. Works great, cures cancer if ya drink it.

Nice video.. note of caution... rubbing alchohol is ethyl alchohol... goes right through the skin and impaires the liver... I used grain alchohol until someone stole my botle..

If you have ground support... just throw the tail of your line over the limb... have a groundy take a quick wrap and hold until you pull yourself over.. Nice to be able to do the lone ranger thing if needed... and from a production perspective... a bit painful to watch...

Still great job on the video and cool idea for the foot sling shot.. Tahnks for sharing

Thanks for the comments, definitely not intended as a production technique, intended more for expedition/research or rec climbing where you're up high and there's no way to involve ground support. Good point on the rubbing alcohol, my wife is a retired RN, she filled me in on the potential ethyl alcohol overdose through skin absorption concept. It's fine for limited use to remove sap etc.
-moss

Thanks for the comments, definitely not intended as a production technique, intended more for expedition/research or rec climbing where you're up high and there's no way to involve ground support. Good point on the rubbing alcohol, my wife is a retired RN, she filled me in on the potential ethyl alcohol overdose through skin absorption concept. It's fine for limited use to remove sap etc.
-moss

...or you could use some Fast Orange and a little scrubby. And what is with Murhpy copywriting what he posts ? And I thought rubbing alchohol was isopropol.

my mistake...
rubbing is propyl which will rot the liver, as will methyl... The stuff is in a lot of shampoos and skin creams etc..

ethyl is grain which is easier on the body...

Its ok, it all goes down the same.

I heard if you pour it though some bread like a strainer it goes down real nice like. try it dano!

Moss man, I never checked out this rec thing here... I gotta admit that was pretty slick stuff for sure! didnt expect that.

I also thought it was sort of funny when your eyes bulged out when stepping off there, lol. I was a bit terrified for you too though.

I also thought it was sort of funny when your eyes bulged out when stepping off there, lol. I was a bit terrified for you too though.

Haha! My eyes are always bulging when I'm high in trees. I'd already gone out on it with lanyard attached before I shot the crossing over. However, I was on "high alert" as I started to cross, making sure everything was ship-shape.
-moss

Haha! My eyes are always bulging when I'm high in trees. I'd already gone out on it with lanyard attached before I shot the crossing over. However, I was on "high alert" as I started to cross, making sure everything was ship-shape.
-moss

"High alert", lol. I've seen that look somewhere before... oh yeah, I think it was night time, and if memory serves my correctly, it envolved a deer. :)

Just busting man, Batman himself could not have done better. :cheers:

Well done, Moss! Doing the traverse is one thing. Doing the traverse and getting it all on video is quite another. Many thanks for that effort and for bringing it to us. Also, the foot slingshot, that's an original.

Bringing the slingshot back using the grapnel, I have to thank you for bringing us a unique method. Very ingenious.

I've been a long-time fan of your photography, only recently have I seen your illustration work. A man of many talents.

You are one cool cat.

attachment.php

Thanks for the comments TM.

FYI: I didn't invent the grapnel horizontal retrieve technique, folks on the Tree Climber's Coalition forum have been working through various similar ideas, mine is one more refinement of the technique and is very close to what's called the "J~bird Dangle".
-moss

Refinements on a fledgeling practice in the technique of DISTANT TREE-TO-TREE TRAVERSES.

This, as you say, Moss, has been going on for some time, variants of it, usually double-rope, DRT that is, TWO ropes. Set rope, cross over retrieve rope behind you, (or not) and continue on.

You do it entirely without a second rope, just a second shotline and that Jangle Bird Grapnel, this sort of traverse becomes an entirely different animal.

In Arboriculture, the traverses are often within the same canopy of a tree, like big oaks where you've gotta climb into 7 different sections of a huge canopy so you set your rope from one section to another (reset) then belay off the tail and ascend up the reset line. This is using one line, not necessarily single rope technique. Sometimes you belay out and ascend up in tight fashion, across, and stay high in the traverse, or just sloop down a ways and come back up. Good treemen who can do this stuff, do it and make a lot of dough, so it really benefits us to be the technicians they're paying us to be. Fun stuff.

But YOU, sir, have shown us how to do-tree-to-distant tree traverses. That rocks.

The only way I was seeing this done was fire the bag over desired target, let bag drop to the ground afar. Ground guy takes off the shotbag, clips on rope, climber retrieves single line, ground guy anchors the rope below, climber tensions applies ascension method and belays off his climbing line.

If you can control friction, modulating the friction device, using your feet, then you can put all your attention to the effort of the traverse out in front of you, which usually has a slope upward, as well as across.

But that's SRT out front, but the second rope letting you out is still a second rope in the system.

You,

are showing it

One

Single rope.
One lifeline, doing it all. At 50 some foot of span and without a second person helping. This one is a rare breed, this specific method.

You can be modest if you want, but without the foot slingshot, distances horizontal like that are just hardly possible. This is very unique and original.

I think that because of what is possible with this new piece of gear, + the refined method, this is uniquely outside the realm of anything we currently do in professional tree climbing.

And in the world of recreational tree climbing I would hope they recognize, although themselves maybe having done this method to whatever degree, that the bar in having done this has been raised to a new standard. Good job, Moss.

Last edited:
Thanks TM, can I use your comments in my resume? :)

Seriously though, as a rec climber I recognize that I'll never be the climber that a daily work climber is. Fortunately I have the opportunity and inclination to work on new techniques and ideas, if pro climbers find any of it useful, all the better!
-moss

Incredible video. I hope you can make a good proto type and maybe sell the patent. That would make you more money for more toys. Every time I think I have come up with a new innovation, I look in a catalog and find out some else already made it.

Incredible video. I hope you can make a good proto type and maybe sell the patent. That would make you more money for more toys. Every time I think I have come up with a new innovation, I look in a catalog and find out some else already made it.

Thanks TreeWürx. I think that the potential market is too small to make it worth spending 3 grand to get a patent (if I had it to spend). I favor "open source" inventing: make stuff, get it out there so it can be useful and improved. I established "prior art" by publicizing it and documenting use, don't think anyone else could patent it. Patent law is all about who can spend the most money on a legal team, IMHO. Anyone is free to copy the Footshot and hopefully come up with improvements. But... if anyone patents the design and tries to prevent me from selling them at some future date there would be a huge fight.
-moss

I feel your props towwards daily climbers. I 'm starting into a few weeks of incessant climbign and trimming acress of tree's; deadwooding. After 3 weeeks of traditiona; climb to anchor point. rappel to base of nearby tree and climb it. I bought a new Sliky Yamabico and a Longboy polesaw in my efforts to reduce my labors. Other time savers will be rigging nearby clumps of trees with my throwline and srt'ing with spikes to trim hearty redwood tree's... crown lifts 80' plus( Which they handle Fine). I like the Grappel and will no doubt craft one out of metal soon...or have my blacksmith freind do...

This is one of the videos that got me excited about tree climbing. Up till now I'd only heard of it from an arborist on campus. Doing a quick google search brought me here, and to this video. I can't wait to get started! I come from a climbing/canyoneering type background and this tree climbing is something I can do right in my backyard so to speak. Very awesome! So thanks for the video, very inspirational!

This is one of the videos that got me excited about tree climbing. Up till now I'd only heard of it from an arborist on campus. Doing a quick google search brought me here, and to this video. I can't wait to get started! I come from a climbing/canyoneering type background and this tree climbing is something I can do right in my backyard so to speak. Very awesome! So thanks for the video, very inspirational!

Good stuff. If you haven't yet, pick up Jepson's Tree Climber's Companion. Also Bill Maher's "Getting Rigged" is an excellent DRT climbing reference from a well respected teacher in the rec tree climbing community:
Getting Rigged

Best thing is to find an experienced climber to get up into a tree with if possible.
-moss

Latest posts

Back