Found a hidden suprise inside some bur oak :-(

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its been over a year since i started this thread. but one night last week, threw in some more of the same bur oak (possibly a different tree but it came from the same yard) got up and walked to the owb the next morning and found this as i raked thru the coals & ashes. lol. i'm just glad i missed it with the chainsaw.
DSCN0425_zpsb2c3fb67.jpg

DSCN0423_zpsf173afc0.jpg

DSCN0424_zps850f8566.jpg

its been over a year since i started this thread. but one night last week, threw in some more of the same bur oak (possibly a different tree but it came from the same yard) got up and walked to the owb the next morning and found this as i raked thru the coals & ashes. lol. i'm just glad i missed it with the chainsaw.
DSCN0425_zpsb2c3fb67.jpg

DSCN0423_zpsf173afc0.jpg

DSCN0424_zps850f8566.jpg
That would have thrown a few sparks with the saw!

Years ago my uncle had a huge maple in front of his house-don't remember why-but it had to come down. Tree service took it down from the top, when they got to the trunk several feet up from the ground, they hit something that destroyed their chains. Long story short, apparently the tree developed a hollow years ago, and a former homeowner filled it with concrete. Ouch!
Found the same thing, only after dulling 2 chains. You can't find concrete with a metal detector!

Found the same thing, only after dulling 2 chains. You can't find concrete with a metal detector!

Sounds very familiar. I was given a huge ash tree by a friend in town. He paid the tree service to take it down and they left it in 8 to 12 ft pieces and piled it so I could have the firewood and less expense for him . I'm working it up and the friend tells me to stay away from a certain 5 ft piece because he can remember 20 years ago putting concrete in the hollow:eek:. He had told the tree service and they had set it off separately. I thought okay we're home free. I was using the 288 with about 32" of bar and hit something in a piece he said was clear. After sharpening the chain (15 minutes) :( I moved down about 2 foot and tried again. Another chunk of concrete! :mad:15 minutes of sharpening later and I finally tentatively got through. Another 6 foot piece that went to the composte site. I flagged it with tape and a note that it had concrete in it to warn off others wood salvager's that cut in the compost site. That a lot of sharpening when the chain's 32" long and I'm hot and sweaty..... Got a lot of good wood out of it though, about 4 cords.

DSCN0423_zpsf173afc0.jpg

If there were two trees somewhat together, I would guess it's a pipe hung between them for a swing. I've found pieces of those pipes too... :surprised3:

I was cutting up a 30 inch bur oak and hit something. didn't know what it was but I wasn't about to throw away the good wood.

I got the tree from a friend who is a pipefitter. I didn't know pipefitters put pipe in wood too. lol.
Sassafras, burns hot and fast, but smells good when working with it, hate cutting fence rows and trees around old houses.

I once hit a ceramic electrical insulator and metal spike with my saw while cutting through a 30" oak tree. Wouldn't have been that big of a deal but the log I was cutting was being rigged out by a crane. I had to coach my new hire through putting a new chain on the saw and he sent the saw back up with the chain on backwards. Over head on the job was about $5.00/minute so that was a $150 hit. I've got to start adding stipulations into contracts for those kinds of problems.

Latest posts

Back