Free Birch...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yep, at least he is being honest about the situation. That isnt always the case with the craigslist adds I have answered. I anwered an add last year about free holly trees. Called the lady and asked her if I could put them in the back of my truck or would I need to bring a trailer, she said she had a pile of " big holly logs , 14' long and 9' tall ". I head that way thinking :blob2: only to get there and :blob5: . I took every thing 3" and bigger and it could have fit in a wheelbarrel :censored: 80 miles one way :censored:

Yep, at least he is being honest about the situation. That isnt always the case with the craigslist adds I have answered. I anwered an add last year about free holly trees. Called the lady and asked her if I could put them in the back of my truck or would I need to bring a trailer, she said she had a pile of " big holly logs , 14' long and 9' tall ". I head that way thinking :blob2: only to get there and :blob5: . I took every thing 3" and bigger and it could have fit in a wheelbarrel :censored: 80 miles one way :censored:

I won't drive any distance for craigslist anymore. I am going out Thursday, about 30 minute drive, to look at a half dozen uprooted Oaks.
If nothing else, I can use the firewood.

I won't drive any distance for craigslist anymore...

I've gotten some real great logs from Craigs list in the past few years. As was talked about in great detail you have to watch for the folks who want you to drop a tree in a dangerous place for you... common sense should prevail there. But most I find are already on the ground and "free". One thing I've learned is that if you contact the listing and get info, subtract at least 6 inches from whatever dia they say the tree is. Ive even asked them to go up a few feet from the butt swell and meas there, and they invariably end up reporting it as more dia than it is when I get there. Point is I've gotten enough really great finds that it's worth paying attention to and at least taking the time to investigate. Like most here, I would drive an hour or even more if its a very large dia cherry or walnut for ex. This walnut I scored a few months ago with the help of another poster on here turned out to be the the best crotch piece I ever encountered. It was only 30 minutes west of me, but this is one I would have driven couple hours each way for.
walnut.jpg

Last edited:
:censored: :censored: :censored:

Don't go showing me walnut like that, you may as well dangle a million dollars in front of my face! Nothing like that up here... It almost puts me in a mind to move back to Ontario. I have cut a couple nice Birch crotches (one of which cracked :(), but birch of any significant size is hard to find - I have to drive a couple hours east of here into the mountains where it's basically rainforest, and the birches get up to a couple feet in diameter (cedars up to 12' or so). Around my house here they're doing good to hit 6-8".

I have a pretty tall white birch I need cut down in my yard, it's a beautiful tree and thought someone would like to repurpose the wood for white birch furniture etc.... however if someone could help me get it down, they could have the wood, and all the little starts that are coming up in my yard. I have pictures if interested

I have a pretty tall white birch I need cut down in my yard, it's a beautiful tree and thought someone would like to repurpose the wood for white birch furniture etc.... however if someone could help me get it down, they could have the wood, and all the little starts that are coming up in my yard. I have pictures if interested

Call a tree service.

Latest posts

Back