Free climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

free climbing or aid climbing? (most often)

• free climbing

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • aid climbing

Votes: 14 70.0%

• Total voters

sheep

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
does anyone else here strictly free climb with absolutely no equipment? trees in pittsburgh are generally not that tall but... usually, i dont think any type of equipment is needed. just some nice shoes so you don't end up kicking all that bark off.

someone ought to edit the wikipedia page about tree climbing, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_climbing adding something more about free climbing

i would edit it but i have very strong opinions and i dont want that to influence my article. also, i'd probably be giving out advise unconsiously like "safety equipment is unneccesary" and then people die because of it...

Love to free climb but fell to much .....

so now i atleast use saddle n lanyard.

and a aluminum aid of course

sheep said:
... i'd probably be giving out advise unconsiously like "safety equipment is unneccesary" and then people die because of it...

Kinda late, but I'm glad you had second thoughts. Maybe you would like to go back and edit your post in the "Kids in Trees" thread. If you edit yours, I'll edit mine. If you delete yours, I'll delete mine, to be sure the original quote is off the record.

Last edited:
both

As a kid, we could easily find big trees with low limbs to free climb, so that's all we did. I probably spent hundreds of hours freeclimbing willows and beeches in my yard and my friends yard. There was even a nice beech at the previous Boston Tree climb in Franklin Park that I did a little bit of free climbing on. Most of the trees I encounter now have their first limbs about 35 or so feet up, so I "aid climb" those.

sheep said:
does anyone else here strictly free climb with absolutely no equipment?

Not likely. Why would you want to limit yourself to only climbing without gear? I just did a free climb at sunset yesterday. I usually free climb about once a week, I love it. It's a unique climbing practice with it's own skill set. It can be easy or very challenging, depends on the tree and the climber. There's no need to cultivate a purist "climbing without gear" point of view, it's apples and oranges a completely different climbing practice. One does not exclude the other. There are way too many trees that you absolutely cannot climb without gear. I mean zero gear, that includes vines or other "natural assists" like leaning a small dead tree against another tree. That is a primitive ladder and is gear. A vine is a rope, unrated but a rope :) You can probably tell I've had this discussion before. Enjoy your free climbing and sometime get an experienced rope climber to take you up (if you haven't already). It will open up a world of possibilities for your tree climbing and your free climbing skills will come in handy. A minimal rope climbing setup is very inexpensive.

I won't bother with the free climbing vs. aid climbing poll. This is a division in the rock climbing world that doesn't translate to tree climbing. The value system in recreational tree climbing is much different, egos are toned down. We are accepting of other climbers viewpoints, everyone has their own style and gear configurations. Competition is minimized, that's why it's called recreational climbing. Rec climbers are looking for quality tree time. There's plenty of adrenaline available if you like that. I can get your heart pounding in a tree very easily while you're supported by rope, I don't care if you have ice in your veins. If you want challenge you'll find it roped or not, you can't avoid challenge climbing trees. Am I ranting? :)
-moss

Last edited:
Moss, I never would have figured you would condone freeclimbing...................just when you think you know someone.......;)

I get what you're saying about the different skillset and such. I'm not going to say I've never done it but I wouldn't call it a leisure activity either.

I guess for rec. purposes it isn't all that bad......I'd just hate to be the guy who slipped and went out like that...........

OTG BOSTON said:
Moss, I never would have figured you would condone freeclimbing...................just when you think you know someone.......;)

I get what you're saying about the different skillset and such. I'm not going to say I've never done it but I wouldn't call it a leisure activity either.

I guess for rec. purposes it isn't all that bad......I'd just hate to be the guy who slipped and went out like that...........

Free climbing is what it is. I don't recommend it, it's my personal choice. It's very limited looking at the full spectrum of tree climbing possibilities and with every foot of vertical height you gain the stakes are raised exponentially. I don't do moves that I don't feel very comfortable committing to. It can be much more physically demanding than roped climbing unless you're climbing a ladder branch configuration. I climb well within my personal risk level, I love life as much as he next guy or gal. Every person has to know what their capabilities are roped or not roped and climb within their limits. Otherwise a climber is going to expose themselves to Darwin's laws (being stupid may cause death).
-moss

Though I don't believe in leaving the ground anymore without being tied in no matter the size of the tree I have some advice for some free climbers who want to take it a little farther.

DON'T limit yourself to just trees that have low branches or closely spaced branches. Hear is what you do: turn on the TV and go to animal planet. Now what until a bear show comes on and watch them climb trees. I use to climb this way and it is very hard and physically demanding. Also I wouln't recommend climbing any more then 30' at a clip without a limb to take a brake at.

Just wrap your arms around the tree then wrap your legs around. Pull your legs up the trunk then reach up higher with your arms and continue. I can give a quick video demo if someone doesn't quite under stand. BUT be VERY VERY VERY careful coming down the tree. Use the same position like a fireman and slide down the trunk. Make sure thought that your torso is not touching the tree at all. The bark will pull your shirt up and the bark WILL scratch you VERY badly. Trust me I learned from expierence.

If you like the going up part and not the coming down just set your line in the tree before hand and attach your saddle to the rope. So now when you climb as high as you want you can just CAREFULLY position yourself on a branch and pull your saddle up. Put a small piece of rope on your saddle if you cannot balance yourself while putting on the saddle. You can use the rope to tie yourself to the trunk in case of a fall. This is just a safety measure and WILL hurt if you slip. But it won't hurt nearly as bad as falling out of the tree.

Woah there! calm down guys! i was just going to ask various techniques for freeclimbing. I can usually climb the trunk without the use of a limb or rope if the trunk is no more wide than me but any wider, i can't get up. how do you guys do it?

Depends on the definition of "free climbing." I've gone up a tree with my spikes and not bothered with my lanyard-this can be called free climbing. But climbing with no gear-never. Too many trees out there that are too hard to get up without at least a rope.

sheep said:
I can usually climb the trunk without the use of a limb or rope if the trunk is no more wide than me but any wider, i can't get up. how do you guys do it?

You can't. If you can't grab on and stick to the trunk you have to start using some kind of gear, either spurs and lanyard (not compatible with rec climbing do not disturb or damage wilderness ethics) or rope and harness.

With very large trees that have heavily textured bark you can potentially use rock climbing technique. Basically if the bark fissures are large enough you can wedge a hand or foot in.
-moss

heavily textured bark often falls off and then i feel bad for harming the tree.
however, i do focus on small irregularities on the trunck - a slight indent or a lump left by a branch that might have fallen off.

how bad is it for the tree if the bark falls off?

sheep said:
does anyone else here strictly free climb with absolutely no equipment? trees in pittsburgh are generally not that tall but... usually, i dont think any type of equipment is needed. just some nice shoes so you don't end up kicking all that bark off.

someone ought to edit the wikipedia page about tree climbing, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_climbing adding something more about free climbing

i would edit it but i have very strong opinions and i dont want that to influence my article. also, i'd probably be giving out advise unconsiously like "safety equipment is unneccesary" and then people die because of it...

Trees in Pittsburgh not big.............think again! There are many trees here that 90-100 ft.

As far as free climbing...........only if you have a death wish!!!

rahtreelimbs said:
Trees in Pittsburgh not big.............think again! There are many trees here that 90-100 ft.

As far as free climbing...........only if you have a death wish!!!

pittsburgh... i actually meant in the city area including the big parks but i don't drive and my dad will not drive half an hour just so i can climb trees. he's not bothered by me climbing at all... if its that dangerous (which it isnt) he should be so the fact the isnt bothered shows that its not incredibly dangerous.

sheep said:
pittsburgh... i actually meant in the city area including the big parks but i don't drive and my dad will not drive half an hour just so i can climb trees. he's not bothered by me climbing at all... if its that dangerous (which it isnt) he should be so the fact the isnt bothered shows that its not incredibly dangerous.

Wrong again!!! The city has big trees. Take a look at some of the Sycamores in the city parks and on the city streets!

Dangerous........not with the proper climbing equipment, proper traning and PPE!

Without it......you are an accident waiting to happen!

Just how old are you?

sheep said:
chemical engineering? why do you ask? why is it relevant?

Your dad simply may not recognize the hazards if he is not exposed to them in his occupation or training.

Back