Fresh 394xp build losing power in the cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyo

Youtube Speciawist
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Did a fresh build...month long ...to put this 394xp together. Started fine this am...190 compression. ..ran for a few seconds...the stupid decompression valve rattles out.
Shut it off...torque it down . Start it...revs fine...hi and low are fine....again only running for a few seconds... 4 strokes at the top.

Stick it in wood. No power....nearly stalls.

Fresh mix...sharp new chain...it's not the clutch....what else could it be?

New intake boot? With or without base gasket? Any machine work?

Regards-Carlo

394 uses an intake block. if it's 4 stroking at high speed it should be getting the fuel it needs. fact it has no power and nearly stalls would point me at the metering lever being set to high or gasket and diaphragm mixed up for starters. if the air filter is clean, free flowing, and spark arrestor isn't clogged it's gotta be carburation. i would also be sure your plug gap isn't opened right up or closed up to tight. heck, you might even check to be sure your flywheel key didn't shear allowing the flywheel to move just enough to cause that loss of power. many things it could be ;)

New muffler and spark screen. Just had one clog on my 350...not that.

The carb has been kitted....but pump diaphragm is impossible to mess up because it grabs the lever..
Not possible to swap pump diaphragm for some thing else.

Air filter is high top...should be good though I can try without filter and see if that helps.

New fuel line and filter. ..it's an am filter but I didn't have this issue with the other 394 I did.

When my 385 had slipped timing it would t start at all....

Hmm

New muffler and spark screen. Just had one clog on my 350...not that.

The carb has been kitted....but pump diaphragm is impossible to mess up because it grabs the lever..
Not possible to swap pump diaphragm for some thing else.

Air filter is high top...should be good though I can try without filter and see if that helps.

New fuel line and filter. ..it's an am filter but I didn't have this issue with the other 394 I did.

When my 385 had slipped timing it would t start at all....

Hmm

sounds like you think you have reasoning for everything. i got news for you, it is something LOL JK. when something slips timing it can be alot or very little. the hooked diaphragm can still be screwed up to by the way. also the pump diaphragm only has flaps, you are talking the metering diaphragm. being a prick here LOL get it together matt. you've been here long enough. :p :laugh: :givebeer:

Man I really thought i knew something. This has got me thrown for a loop.

Super, i hear you.... I just can't understand why a filter would be bad ... its like there is a total loss of compression in the cut.

I'll check the flywheel, though I think this is unlikely it sorta makes sense, or the spark plug maybe... its brandy new though

i'll take apart the carb again, and see whats up there

thanks for the ideas.... keep them comin :)

Does it starve for fuel or just no have any power? 394 is a favorite of mine and I've built more than one,video of it would help. Intake block upside down?

Latest posts

Back