fresh split!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for support. Super heat wave! Have another big pile I started but didn't finish. Live in town so i try to keep clean piles. And stack what i split day of. Always get ppl trying to buy wood i drop in driveway. And hard to off load big loads. So i do some in drive and some in backyard. Lucky the load in the drive is yellow popular mostly. The shag bark is killing me!

Attachments

• 20150728_194255.jpg
    20150728_194255.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
Nice. I split by hand as well, but with the volume of wood I have I'm going to borrow a splitter...got about 5-6 cord to split and I want to get it done as quickly as possible for drying.

Nice. I split by hand as well, but with the volume of wood I have I'm going to borrow a splitter...got about 5-6 cord to split and I want to get it done as quickly as possible for drying.

I hear ya. I've got till Sept. to finish clearing out at a farmer's grain site. So im trying to cut a load or two a night and have split and stacked by the following day. Never ending! But the rain and heat are relentless

Maple is the reason I had to buy a splitter 4 years ago. Twisted maple can be impenetrable by hand:crazy2: although notty pine is tough the hardest thing I have found to split is black and sweet gum! I have not split elm I do no is rep though:rock:

Nice looking firewood. Hickory sure is good burning stuff.
I still hand split some of my smaller pieces, but use the 6 ton electric splitter for the larger rounds.
Unless there's a knotty one that needs persuasion, then the wedges and sledge comes out.
I have mostly hard Sugar Maple for burning this year. Still have some Green Ash and a bit of Elm and White Birch left from last year.
Lots of Poplar to split too. I only took the Poplar to help out a friend. I guess I'll throw it in for my shoulder seasons and make smaller splits for kindling.
Can't wait for the new stove to arrive.

Nice looking firewood. Hickory sure is good burning stuff.
I still hand split some of my smaller pieces, but use the 6 ton electric splitter for the larger rounds.
Unless there's a knotty one that needs persuasion, then the wedges and sledge comes out.
I have mostly hard Sugar Maple for burning this year. Still have some Green Ash and a bit of Elm and White Birch left from last year.
Lots of Poplar to split too. I only took the Poplar to help out a friend. I guess I'll throw it in for my shoulder seasons and make smaller splits for kindling.
Can't wait for the new stove to arrive.

Right on. Thanks! Yeah i really enjoy the process. My father in law heats his automobile shop with wood. And we use an electric splitter for his. He can fit 26" logs in his tho. I get about 18" in mine. Whats your new stove your getting?? And congrats. Always fun dialing a new system in!

I hand split 7 cord a year with the Fiskars X27. I have to say, most Elm is a bear but if it drys a little it can be split easier than some twisted grain maple. There's just some maple that will not split by hand. That's when you reach for the noodle machine.

I do split hickory, but do not put it in the wood stove. It goes into the pig cooker for BBQ, such as pulled pork, ribs, brisked, smoked sausages. The Fiskars X27 is the splitting axe to have -- once I used one, I have never looked back.

I do split hickory, but do not put it in the wood stove. It goes into the pig cooker for BBQ, such as pulled pork, ribs, brisked, smoked sausages. The Fiskars X27 is the splitting axe to have -- once I used one, I have never looked back.

I also smoke meats with the hickory and cherry wood. Y'all really like those fiskars????

I also smoke meats with the hickory and cherry wood. Y'all really like those fiskars????

You need to get your hands on one. I never thought the head would make that much difference -- I was very wrong. I've been splitting since I was a kid. I laugh at the kids now days. Dad and I would go to the woods, he would run the saw and I would load the truck. When we went back to the house he pulled up to the wood area, cut the truck off and said "Alright boy, work it up." And he headed into the house. I'm glad he taught me how then left it with me.

You need to get your hands on one. I never thought the head would make that much difference -- I was very wrong. I've been splitting since I was a kid. I laugh at the kids now days. Dad and I would go to the woods, he would run the saw and I would load the truck. When we went back to the house he pulled up to the wood area, cut the truck off and said "Alright boy, work it up." And he headed into the house. I'm glad he taught me how then left it with me.

Same deal here. Dad would cut, I would split, and younger brother would throw into the truck. When we got home, he backed up to the house, and left us to it.

Of course, he wasn't going into the house to open a beer, he was headed out to the barn to milk cows, so it's not like he was slacking off. It's no mystery where I got my work ethic from...

And I just bought a WalMart Fiskars this summer. Maybe only half a cord split so far, but I'm really liking it.

Latest posts

Back