fresh split!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same deal here. Dad would cut, I would split, and younger brother would throw into the truck. When we got home, he backed up to the house, and left us to it.

Of course, he wasn't going into the house to open a beer, he was headed out to the barn to milk cows, so it's not like he was slacking off. It's no mystery where I got my work ethic from...

And I just bought a WalMart Fiskars this summer. Maybe only half a cord split so far, but I'm really liking it.

My dad was not a beer drinker, nor a slacker. He usually started his day at 4:00am. The work ethic came from him and mom. She was usually up between 4-5am. I am glad I did not have lazy parents. Thanks for making me think -- so I could be thankful for that as well.

In those days we used a splitting maul, a sledge and wedges. We had an axe but it was nothing out of the ordinary. I split most of the wood, my little brother did some.

My dad was not a beer drinker, nor a slacker. He usually started his day at 4:00am. The work ethic came from him and mom. She was usually up between 4-5am. I am glad I did not have lazy parents. Thanks for making me think -- so I could be thankful for that as well.

In those days we used a splitting maul, a sledge and wedges. We had an axe but it was nothing out of the ordinary. I split most of the wood, my little brother did some.

My apologies if you thought I was taking a dig at your dad. I was just saying that mine wasn't walking away and leaving us to go slack off. I think one thing a lot of us have in common here is that our work ethic comes from the old man/woman.

My apologies if you thought I was taking a dig at your dad. I was just saying that mine wasn't walking away and leaving us to go slack off. I think one thing a lot of us have in common here is that our work ethic comes from the old man/woman.

No harm no foul. Thanks for posting.

I think one thing a lot of us have in common here is that our work ethic comes from the old man/woman.
So true. Those of us who choose to heat with wood must have a work ethic and commonly a source of that ethic. Funny I would stumble onto this thread. My dad would have been 84 today and my son just emailed me moments ago about it.

You are right. Both my parents were hard working folks. Both are in the sunset of their lives now. I love them dearly and am very grateful for what I was taught.

Back