Friction knot for 3/8" rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwp

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently bought a 3/8" static rope to use as a self rescue rope. I had planned on using this while hunting from a tree stand. I wanted to tie the rope to the tree above my stand and then use a modified blakes hitch with the other end of the line so that I could descend the line in the event that I managed to fall from the stand.

This line is very stiff and the modified blakes hitch wont even start to grip the line.

So is there a tiny line that would work as a pursik on a 3/8" line.

If I use a pursik, can I cause it to let me descend by pulling on the top to get it to gently release or does it have to be unloaded before it will slip?

Is there a way to soften up the static line so that a blakes hitch would grab?

Since I only want to descend slowly maybe it would be better to use something like a figure 8.

I would appreciate all opinions and suggestions.

It'll probably loosen up with time. I do the same thing only I use Bandit 11 mm cammo line. Figure 8 would work I use an air traffic controler. good luck!

I found some rope that is very soft and about 3/8" diameter. If I use the soft rope as a pursik it grips very well. I am going to test this very close to the ground and see if it will work.

The only problem is that the soft line is only rated for 500 lbs as a working load. So I need to get a better rated line. This present line will only be used as a test line at no more than 3' off the ground. I have never used a pursik so this will allow me to see how the knot works.

A better choice would be a hitch cord like Samson's Ice Tail cord or Yale's Beeline. These 8mm cords (5/16) have an abs of over 8,000 lbs. I use the Ice Tail for hitches on my climbing line. It is limp as a dishrag and works great. Learn to tie a climbing hitch like the Distel, it will work much better than a prusik.

Last edited:
Great advice, Ive been looking at that Ice tail beeline also. Don't use hardware store rope. I got stuck descending with it and had to cut the tail ...Yikes!

I got some ocean vectran 6mm cord. It seems to work great. I have not tested it in a tree yet. Maybe it will stop raining and I can do a low level test. I don't remember the name of the friction knot that I am using maybe Schwabisch hitch. It has one turn below the connection and 4 turns above the connection.

Since this hitch has to work from an unset condition, I am going to put a safety knot just below the hitch so that if the hitch does not grab quickly it will jam against the safety knot and then I can set the hitch for the descent.

Thanks for all the help.

The schwabisch hitch grips so tight when loaded that I can't make it slide down the rope by just pulling on top of the knot. I had to take two turn off the top of the knot before I could make it slide like I wanted. The knot now has one turn below and only two turns above the tie in point.

Does anyone know if modifying the knot by taking away turns is a safe practice. Is it common practice to reduce turns to get the right amount of friction?

If you are only going to descend on it, I would suggest you just use a Figure 8 descender. If you get one with ears, you can tie off the line while you are in the stand to keep you from falling. The Figure 8s cost about the same as spliced i2i and are easier to learn how to use.

I may go with a figure 8 if I can't get the friction knots to work like I want.

I am now trying an icicle knot with one turn removed from the top. It seems to be working very well but I will have to do more testing to be sure. For now it seems to be releasing fairly easily with just one hand pulling on the top of the knot. The knot also seems to grab the line without having to be preloaded.

Hey JWP, I haven't looked back at this thread for a while, you may have the problem solved. The 6mm vectran is pretty small and may bite too tightly to loosen easily after loading. The 8mm cord will work well. You may try the Distel if the swabisch is binding. Two fingers on top and a nice smooth ride to the ground.

Back