Fuel in chain chain saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRThomas

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I never leave fuuel in my saws but I had to leave in a hurry. I only use Stihl gas from Stihl dealer I be gone for a month will I have trouble starting my three saws.

Are you talking about that $8/qt fuel? They claim that stuff doesn't go stale for a VERY long time. My saws always have fuel in them, often see 4-6 month stretches with no use, and work just fine as long as I have 93 octane. The 87 octane around here comes 'pre staled' and they won't run on it fresh.

91 non-E stores 3 months no problem in the saw or in a good can with husky oil mix. If your shelling out for the premo canned fuel from the dealer I'd expect 3 months no problem.

I've had my John Deere q600f for 25 years and it has never been left empty or given special treatment. I will say that I may have to finally give it a carb kit due to the fact I have 20 saws and it's been on the shelf.

I mix my own fuel (50:1) and I always leave some in the tank when storing my saws.
At worst the saws start somewhat heavier and make a lot of smoke when not started over a longer period of time.
I try to remember and start them occasionally between seasons , let them warm up and burn some fuel.
I even tend to refuel if the tanks aren't full.

They say the husky 50:1 premix in the quart cans lasts for three years, I had the non ethanol premix I mixed last for six months. But I keep thebgas tank topped off.

Back