Fuel stabalizers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I had a stray thought today, probably a bad one. Say I only go through one gallon of fule a year. Should I add a fuel stabalizer to my gas, or should I just throw it out every few months and mix a new batch? How long should it keep before I would need to throw it out?

I'm running (or trying to get running) an 038 Mag if that makes a difference.

Thanks again!
Mark

If it takes you 1 year to use a gallon of mix try mixing in small batches,say a quart at a time. 1quart fuel to 1oz oil will give you a 32:1 ratio. I never keep mixed fuel longer than 3 months

The better mix oils will already have stabilizer in them as listed on the label. Unless you're buying 100LL avgas, your gas won't keep long anyway due to modern formulations and ethanol. Do yourself and the saw a favor, keep your premix in a sealed container and don't try to keep it more than 2 months. Put the older fuel in your car/truck/mower and only run fresh fuel in the 2 strokes.

What problems are you having with the 038?

Say I only go through one gallon of fule a year. Should I add a fuel stabalizer to my gas, or should I just throw it out every few months and mix a new batch? How long should it keep before I would need to throw it out?

IMO, fuel mix should always have a bit of stabilizer added (in addition to what is found in some 2-stroke oil), and even with stabilizer never kept more than 60 days if made from pump gas, especially if it contains ethanol. If you can get some race fuel or aircraft 100LL to make your mix, 6 to 12 months is fine, but you will need to adjust your carburetor.

It might help to wait until you have some time on your hands, and try to do a year's worth of cutting in one or two months. Remember to always run your saw dry before putting back into storage.

When I'm not gonna be cuttin' much for a while, I just take my itty bitty gas can one gal size and buy like a half gallon of gas. Last year I think I dumped about a cup of fuel mix in my truck after it got older than I like. I'd just go buy a quart if necessary. You can always dump the older stuff in your auto but this way I save the few dimes on the 2 cycle oil....

does anyone know anything about SEAFOAM. a lot off people around here use it in everything.

Seafoam is kerosene, alcohol, and "pale oil" per the MSDS sheet. Nothing magic about it.

Ian

Thanks for the replies. That's about what I figured. I always took my old gas and mixed it into some used motor oil to use when I burn out a stump or something. I'm not as worried about the cost of gas or even the mix, but more the convienance of having it there and ready to go when I want to use it.

I only mix a gallon at a time any way because that's how much a canister of Stihl 50:1 mix is good for. Any suggestions on where to find 50:1 mix in smaller containers? Having a few of them around for half gallon, or even quart size batches would be ideal. I'm just getting back into cutting, and I don't think it will be a problem using up a gallon of mix in a 60 day period right now. I'm thinking more of summer time when I will back off quite a bit.

Excess650 - At this point I'm worried about possible compression issues, and I'm not getting any oil off the chain (the saw is new to me via e-bay). It's starting to sound like the compression is going to be okay. I cleaned everything but the bar before I started it. Don't ask why I didn't clean the bar. I always clean the bar, but somehow I spaced it. So the bar is coming off today, and I'll see if I can get some oil pumping out. Other than that, the rim sprocket is a little worn, the starter rope is in bad shape, and the recoil spring is not pulling the starter rope in all the way. I have a new elasto-start rope sitting on the bench, and I'll be ordering an new 7 tooth and 8 tooth rim sprocket, exhaust gasket, and head gasket from Bailies shortly.

Thanks!

Mark

I only mix a gallon at a time any way because that's how much a canister of Stihl 50:1 mix is good for. Any suggestions on where to find 50:1 mix in smaller containers?
Mark
Never seen it in smaller containers. I never use the one gallon mix bottles, I always buy quart size containers and use a measuring cup to mix the small batches of fuel.
Here is a great calculator for mix ratios. Plug in the amount of gas to be used and then plug in the desired ratio and it gives you the oil needed to make up the mixed batch.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html

I got crazy this weekend and got 5 gallons at the airport (100LL) I put some stabil in there to fend off the inevitable. Hopefully I'll use it all up within 6 months or so.

Ian

I don't know if they have it local to you but our local walmart has a syringe that has the fuel mixture and it does it by quarts. That way you only need to make up a quart at a time. When you are there pick up a bottle of stabil gas stabilzer I have used it for years in my generator and have never had a problem.

I saw premixed cans of stabilized fuel at Sears last month, I am not sure what the ratio is but more then likely it is 40:1. They are quart sized and cost about $4 I believe. I don't recommend it, but your thread made me think of it.

If you are going to keep the fuel for any amount of time I would recommend metal as you will have less volatiles leaving your fuel. I like MSR aluminum stove fuel bottles. http://www.rei.com/product/783963 You can find off brands for less.

Plastic cans are for dispensing fuel short term because fuel goes stale quickly due to the porosity of plastic.

I don't know if they have it local to you but our local walmart has a syringe that has the fuel mixture and it does it by quarts.

I have see these at home centers, near the 2-cycle oil. Actually, you could use any kind of large syringe. They are sold in woodworking stores/catalogs for injecting glue, so they have a large enough tip for oil.

Got a bunch of 2-cycle oil in 8 oz containers at a garage sale that I use in my snowthrower. Took some 4 oz paper Dixie cups from the bathroom dispenser and carefully measured in 2.6 oz of water with a graduated cylinder, then used this level to mark off lines on a bunch more to make up a bunch of disposable measuring cups for 50:1.

Philbert

I saw premixed cans of stabilized fuel at Sears last month, I am not sure what the ratio is but more then likely it is 40:1. They are quart sized and cost about $4 I believe. I don't recommend it, but your thread made me think of it.

If you are going to keep the fuel for any amount of time I would recommend metal as you will have less volatiles leaving your fuel. I like MSR aluminum stove fuel bottles. http://www.rei.com/product/783963 You can find off brands for less.

Plastic cans are for dispensing fuel short term because fuel goes stale quickly due to the porosity of plastic.

Home depot has it in 50:1

I try to run 100 LL in my saws if I can. It seems like the new gas these days makes your saw run bad. Not to mention that it seems to eat the diaphrams in your carb if it sits too long.

The premix at Sears is probably the same thing as "40 fuel" and "50 fuel"...there have been a couple of threads here about the stuff. Its spendy...like $3 a quart, but they guarantee a year or two shelf life. I tried some and it works great.

I think its market niche will be the guys who would only use a gallon or less of fuel in those two years.

I also believe it may be the answer to warranty issues, especially on smaller consumer saws and trimmers...use the special fuel, or no warranty. The pros and guys who use more fuel will probably continue to deal with suspect gas.

Buy a Ratio Rite measuring device. You can get them at most motorcycle shops. Then, buy oil in larger jugs, and measure out exactly what you need, down to 1/2 gal increments in various ratios from 20:1 up to 100:1

I have been using Avgas 100LL for a while and I really like it....but I may be be switching back to regular pump gas in the near future. Avgas does require you to change your carb settings, it is expensive, it is not readily available, and when you cut away from home you have to take enough mixed fuel with you to complete the job. (Unless you are willing to change your carb adjustments when you change fuel).

When I convert back.....I will just mix up enough fuel to last a couple of months. When I am ready to stop cutting for a while....I believe I will run the saw dry as recommened in the Stihl manual.

Back