Full Chisel Sharpening

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I leave my grinder set at 30 degrees, no vise tilt, and 60 degree swivel. I tried the 10 degree tilt and could not measure the difference with the stop watch.

Most of my customers will get the chains back to near correct by having me grind them then they file till they get them goofed up.

There are just so many variables at play that optimization is usually difficult anyway.

Someone earlier mentioned CBN. I use that in circular saw sharpening.

Norm,
where on that site does it get chain specific. I am not disagreeing,
I just only see it recommending a 25 degree top plate angle.
Chainmakers vary their chain angles for each "model" number and
are very "chain specific", but for sanity's sake I compromise at a
60{30} degree angle [10 degree tilt on full chisel]. I posted the graphic to show the basics as this old Sandvik instruction chart
was the clearest to comprehend of all that I have seen. In the
credits at the back of the catalog, I see the name W. Galer.

I have searched and you are correct. For angles, you are directed to follow the instructions on the packaging.

I believe all Oregon chain of this type follows a 25 degree top plate angle. The upward slant is indeed chain specific and those instructions are on the packages or in the Oregon hand book.

I am surprised this is not listed in the site. I guess there is a lot of chain and for their own sanity have done this.

As you say, watever works for you as long as it is consistant.

Walt was last seen in Eureka Montana, I tried to flush him out by going there personaly, but the trail he left petered out somewhere in Oregon. Maybe Beavergirl can ferret him out.
John

Back