Full comp, or skip chain ???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike mandry

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a huge (for these parts) hickory to take down. Actually mother nature took care of that the other day. It has to be at least 36" DBH & I am guessing a good 75'

It was on the top of a steep hill & blew down clear accross a pond. (bridged the pond)

I will be using my Homelite SXL 925 for the largest parts. I have a new 28" hardnose bar I am going to mount up. My question for all you experts is: Should I use a full skip chain on the 28" ?? Or, do you think it will pull full comp. OK. The tree is still plenty green, so I guess it will still be soft (at least for a hickory)

I have never used skip chain & thought it might be a good idea, esp. with the hardnose bar. I have always used a 20" & 24" on the 925 to date.

I am doing this for a friend & the good news is that I get to keep the wood.

Mike

For the older saws run full comp. For newer high speed saws go with skip.

Also full comp works well below 30", above that skip will work well, keep rpms up, and have less cutters to bust and sharpen

I cut a lot of hickory and red oak here in Va. I vote Full Comp.
I don't lay in into it too hard . Just let it eat at it's own pace. That 925 should do great.
Eric O.

Back