Full on video of a removal ... HUGE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Banditos Banditos .... everywhere Jim, you know that.

Gets like this around here :deadhorse:

Ekka said:
.. the pressure to be fast over rides the technical time and safety thing. The main focus is get that sucka on the ground, fast. And the faster you do it the more you'll be in demand.
:bang:

Pretty cowboy...Yeehaaa!

Finally got that video down loaded,thanks Ekka for doing that.If nothing else its given everyone a good bit to discuss.I've only known one climber to not wear a helmet in a tree,or chaps, for that matter.Bloody good use of that Capstan,that has to be said.As for the experiance level of Simon.i'd go with two or three years,although I wasn't taking notes there were a couple of things I've been caught by that I'd not do again.Like when he had to bail out with the large branch...ooohh could have been nasy.I guess your Aussie clients don't mind big "Mortar holes" in their lawns too eh.Be a nice change for me mate!

Bearclaw said:
Ekka said:
First of all, I'm only the camera man.

I was bidding in the area and dropped in to shoot the video.

If you're not a tree guy and wondered a little about how it's done then you'll like this one.

For the seasoned, whilst you can sit here and pick it to bits you can also use the opportunity to learn a few things ... even if they're things you shouldn't be doing.

A pumping soundtrack.

Where did you get that soundtrack? I love the "chainsaw vocals!"

While I'm not nearly as experienced as the guy Simon, I have to wonder if it's a good idea to plan on doing a pendulum to get out of the way of a dropping/swinging branch? Seems like there are too many things that could go wrong with that move. He made it look llike it was all planned that way. I was amazed at how he scurried around with his hooks on that hard smooth wood without a slip--did he just use his lifeline or a flip line as well at times?

I'm kind of paranoid about hooking up smooth barked hardwoods--had a bad experience as a rooky years ago. (Yea, I slid down to the bottom and hooked my own ankle:cry: ).

Guys that's Simon's style.

He swings around, jumps around, that's what he does. He's never been injured or hit oddly enough but I do warn him consistently that it's most likely going to happen and hopefully not to serious an injury but it will be a wake up call.

Big divets in the lawn, pretty poor grade lawn, dont forget, drought here, grounds very hard and lawn very poor. Many times under those gums the lawn struggles, but in general it's the least of the customers worries.

It's rare we come across a really top grade lawn, what the Brits call a pucka lawn, not allowed to water it anyway.

Another neat video Ekka. That climber reminded me of a cross between a squirrel and a monkey. He looked like he was enjoying himself. Great soundtrack. Jesse James Dupree is originally from the Cincinnati area. His band is from Warner Robbins Georgia. I got to see them a few times here at a little bar called Annie's. Dupree was swinging his Stihl around and inadvertantly cut half way through the seat on a wooden stool. I would have figured he would have had a chain made up with only drive links. Took 2 days for my ears to stop ringing.

:rockn::chainsaw:

Now that's full on!

Be good to find some video clips of that lot doing a gig. :hmm3grin2orange:

I think some day soon i'll buy a grcs,Simon did some silly stuff but then who doesn't in this game,I certainly do!!..

I thought you would have already had one, opens up a whole new world .... winch em up.

That one was home made out of a Lewmar44 2 speed boat winch.

Ekka said:
I thought you would have already had one, opens up a whole new world .... winch em up.

That one was home made out of a Lewmar44 2 speed boat winch.

I use a flying capstan and fiddle

I think some day soon i'll buy a grcs,Simon did some silly stuff but then who doesn't in this game,I certainly do!!..

I agree. Does anyone else use a carbiner at the end of the rigging rope like Simon does. I normally re-tie a running bowline onto each branch. It looks like it saves him alot of time.

I use slings or loops a lot and the end of my lowering line has a spliced eye a 7.2t biner sits in.

A lot of people do what you saw with a biner ... over here anyway.

That was lots of fun to watch. I enjoy swinging around a bit too. I wear a hard hat though. So That was a home made grcs huh. I have been trying to get the dough together to purchase one. I just haven't had the right profit yet. I do retaining walls, driveways and such also so I have been putting the extra profits into to many other aspects of my business. I will get the three dollar video soon and take a look at how it really works. What a show! I tie and untie also. I haven't ever used a biner like that. I use slings sometimes also. but usually I tie.

We use biners.heavy steel. with two half hitches. this is fast,saves hands and arms.good for groundy. The two half hitches become the main load bearing point. havent used it on any thing big but for medium sized work.excellent.

If this wasnt said, I want to say that groundman kicks a-s. Notice how he let the branch down in one smooth motion. The guy actualy knew what the climber was doing and made life for him easier.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Back