full/semi chisel chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what you are going to do with it.

I recently purchased a couple loops of square ground chain. Thinking I need a challenge.

To much work for me. Unless you are going to spend some time on each one for serious saw purposes, the round ground is much better, from a maintenance standpoint. JMO

I don't like those terms.... semi chisel is more like chipper chain, chisel is round chisel or square chisel, both are full chisel, the difference is in teh grind. The general guidleine is on a 60cc and up saw used in clean wood, square chisel is the fastest, but there is more maintenance, on square you ahve to have a dedicated grinder or be a very good filer, the files are also more expensive. Round chisel is easy to file but is faster than chipperor semi chisel, its good in relatively clean wood on medium saws and up(maybe 35ccs) and Semi chisel still has the rounded tooth but its faster than chipper. Its easiest to sharpen with a round file and actually holds its edge pretty well in very hard or dirty wood. I have only chisel, I have the Stihl RS round chisel, but filed it square with a 3 corner file, we'll see how that works, and a dedicated square chisel 72CL chain. I like them a lot. No semi chisel for me, but I will have a loop or two for stump cutting.

motorboy said:
What is everybody's opinion on full chisel vs. semi chisel round ground chain?
They both have there purpose in life.
Full Chisel- round file is very popular. Keeping it out of the dirt is what counts.
I have used simi chisel then found myself going back to full chisel.

If you're regularly cutting dirty wood or if you want your chains to go a bit longer between sharpenings, semi-chisel is the ticket. If you're not cutting dirty wood, round-ground chisel chain is a bit quicker.

Best option: keep a few loops of each and use as appropriate.

computeruser said:
If you're regularly cutting dirty wood or if you want your chains to go a bit longer between sharpenings, semi-chisel is the ticket. If you're not cutting dirty wood, round-ground chisel chain is a bit quicker.

Best option: keep a few loops of each and use as appropriate.

That is a good post Brandon

I keep a couple 20" loops of carlton safety semi chisel chain around for the dirty trees, or ones that i know there is metal in. It actually cuts decent, and holds an edge a whole lot longer than the chisel.

Now square chisel in clean, green wood is the bomb as far as I'm concerned.

I cut quite a bit of firewood and have alway's just used semi-chisel. And use only the pro style as I hate the safty, tri-raker stuff as it's hard to file the drags and easy to take care of myself. No fancy electric file machines or extra chains. It gets dull I just give it a quick touch-up and go at it again. It's what I am use to so it doesn't bother me one bit. It seems to cut fast enough for me. I didn't even know they made a round chisel chain. Bob

On the subject, does anyone know if there's a roller guide for sharpening a 3/8 semi chisel? I use a roller guide on round ground chisel and get good results but havn't seen one for a semi chisel. I'm no good free hand!

I like and use semi-chisel the most. It is rare that all my wood is clean and it is easier sharpening and more forgiving in sharpening errors.I use a fair amount of round ground full chisel mainly because I find good deals on it often and salvage chain off parts saws. I find Stihl reduced kickback will bore fairly well if you keep the drags filed down which I have no problems with. I have some Carlton reduced kickback which works well bucking and limbing but is worthless to try to bore with. Stihl chain is my favorite no matter what style I use but I use any.:chainsaw: :chainsaw:
:chainsaw:

PetrolHead said:
On the subject, does anyone know if there's a roller guide for sharpening a 3/8 semi chisel? I use a roller guide on round ground chisel and get good results but havn't seen one for a semi chisel. I'm no good free hand!

The Husky roller guide in 3/8 works on Stihl RS and RM chain. It also works on any Round ground 3/8 chain. I have one. The only downside I see to the roller guide is the coating on the rollers wears easily. The file will cut a groove into the material, effectively lowering the height of the file as you use it.

PetrolHead said:

Take the training wheels off and go for it you will get better. :biggrinbounce2:

I used to use full chisel exclusively. I have switched to semi, never got good at filing the full chisel. I did ok, but it just never was good enough and took too much time. I now use semi for everything, easy to take care of. I haven't ever compared them, switching from one to the other with the same saw in the same log. Might be interesting, but I'll stick with semi unless someone dumps off some chisel on me for free or something.

computeruser said:
... Best option: keep a few loops of each and use as appropriate.

Yes - and for most people chisel chain will probably be best most of the time, but keep semi-chisel for backup.

I usually bring at least two RSC and one RM chain for my 361, but rarely use the RM.

Latest posts

Back