Full skip ripping chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sportfury70

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Tried searching but didn't come up with much...

Is there a production full skip ripping chain? My old man has a mildly modded Ms460 that we'd like to use making a table out of a 30"+ oak.

Can't seem to find any chain that we wouldn't have to grind ourselves.

Ideas?

Tried searching but didn't come up with much...

Is there a production full skip ripping chain? My old man has a mildly modded Ms460 that we'd like to use making a table out of a 30"+ oak.

Can't seem to find any chain that we wouldn't have to grind ourselves.

Ideas?

Why would you have to grind it yourself? I sell the chains and for an extra 15.00 I have it ground to the requisite 10 degrees.

Fair enough Rockjock. We've not had luck with local dealers sharpening chain and I haven't yet found a good enough deal on a decent bench top grinder to take the plunge. He's got semi skip full chisel on it now (36" bar) and a buddy has a mill setup we can borrow pretty much whenever. Its his saw, so its up to him, but I'm sure he'd bite if it was half a bill or less delivered.

On another note, you think that saw has enough A$$ to pull full comp through that size log? It would be a one-off project so repeat performance is not expected. I just think semi-skip would be the way to go without upgrading, but I'm also still learning..

Fair enough Rockjock. We've not had luck with local dealers sharpening chain and I haven't yet found a good enough deal on a decent bench top grinder to take the plunge. He's got semi skip full chisel on it now (36" bar) and a buddy has a mill setup we can borrow pretty much whenever. Its his saw, so its up to him, but I'm sure he'd bite if it was half a bill or less delivered.

On another note, you think that saw has enough A$$ to pull full comp through that size log? It would be a one-off project so repeat performance is not expected. I just think semi-skip would be the way to go without upgrading, but I'm also still learning..

I know of a gent that runs a 28 ( I think ) and he is pleased with the results. I think what is key is to keep constant pressure on the saw to make sure the engine is under load.

I don't know of any full skip in 3/8 ripping, unless someone else knows of any. Since it's only a one off project, I would just use full comp. Just take your time and don't overload the saw. Milling is hard on saws.

You can mill with the standard grind on a chain. The milling angles produce a slightly nicer finish, but are not a requirement.

You can mill with the standard grind on a chain. The milling angles produce a slightly nicer finish, but are not a requirement.
Agree, If you are just doing a one time small project and are not too worried about the finish being a little rougher, standard chain can be used. Standard chain can be made a little more ripping friendly by running a round file across the side plate/gullet at o to 10 degrees to take the sharp edge off of it. That will keep it from digging into the slabs face so easily. Just barely knock the sharp edge off for milling so that later a few file strokes will return it's cross cutting performance. A snug chain tension on a sprocket nose bar seems to help too.

What is full skip chain ripping or otherwise? Skip is a cutter for every 3 drive links. Semi skip is alternating of 2 and 3 drive link spacing. I would think it would not take too much putting full skip into the search box to come to the realization that the term is despised by many/some. Full skip should be a cutter every four drive links?

Agree, If you are just doing a one time small project and are not too worried about the finish being a little rougher, standard chain can be used. Standard chain can be made a little more ripping friendly by running a round file across the side plate/gullet at o to 10 degrees to take the sharp edge off of it. That will keep it from digging into the slabs face so easily. Just barely knock the sharp edge off for milling so that later a few file strokes will return it's cross cutting performance. A snug chain tension on a sprocket nose bar seems to help too.

Great advice, thank you

What is full skip chain ripping or otherwise? Skip is a cutter for every 3 drive links. Semi skip is alternating of 2 and 3 drive link spacing. I would think it would not take too much putting full skip into the search box to come to the realization that the term is despised by many/some. Full skip should be a cutter every four drive links?

Despised? I've seen derision on the topic here, but can't really understand it. It's just an option, and variety is nice when your trying to do multiple jobs on a budget. Not everyone has giant power heads or several saws perfect for every job. From what I know about skip chain, it's for chip clearance on big wood, less stress on the powerhead due to less teeth cutting at once that help keep rpms up, and easier to sharpen.

I ask because while the 460 is a lot of saw, I know it's gonna strugggle on this tabletop. Asking the experts here, I'm confident that I can tell my pop to either get full comp ripping and take it extra easy, or mod his skip chain and just risk the cost of one used chain.

Off the roll stihl rslf or maybe rslfk ? i think it is called ,it is a square tooth skip chain ,the stock angles are about 15 or so degrees i think ,at least my .404 was not sure on 3/8 angles ,been a while since i bought 3/8 ,i have milled with off the roll ,and gotten a good finish with it . semi skip is not as good for milling ,more likely to washboard in the cut ,i use full comp or full skip .

Edit : here is off the roll .404 ,the one on the left is off the roll round tooth ,the rh cutter is off the roll skip square ,you can see the angles on the rh cutter are close to milling chain .Plus the .404 oils way better than 3/8 milling .
.404 off the roll cutters 009.jpg .404 off the roll cutters 007.jpg

Despised? I've seen derision on the topic here, but can't really understand it. It's just an option, and variety is nice when your trying to do multiple jobs on a budget. Not everyone has giant power heads or several saws perfect for every job. From what I know about skip chain, it's for chip clearance on big wood, less stress on the powerhead due to less teeth cutting at once that help keep rpms up, and easier to sharpen.

I ask because while the 460 is a lot of saw, I know it's gonna strugggle on this tabletop. Asking the experts here, I'm confident that I can tell my pop to either get full comp ripping and take it extra easy, or mod his skip chain and just risk the cost of one used chain.
He was referring to the terminology used in describing chain. Manufacturers use the term "full skip, semi skip, standard" and it drives some guys nuts that they don't just use comp and skip to describe full compliment and full skip cutter sequences and forget about semi skip or half skip terminology because no one uses the stuff. Personally I don't get riled up over it...I have better things to spend my energy on. lol

Off the roll stihl rslf or maybe rslfk ? i think it is called ,it is a square tooth skip chain ,the stock angles are about 15 or so degrees i think ,at least my .404 was not sure on 3/8 angles ,been a while since i bought 3/8 ,i have milled with off the roll ,and gotten a good finish with it . semi skip is not as good for milling ,more likely to washboard in the cut ,i use full comp or full skip .
Looking at my original quote, I meant that he has Full skip semi chisel, not the other way around :dumb:Def don't want a wavy plank..

Carlton

He was referring to the terminology used in describing chain. Manufacturers use the term "full skip, semi skip, standard" and it drives some guys nuts that they don't just use comp and skip to describe full compliment and full skip cutter sequences and forget about semi skip or half skip terminology because no one uses the stuff. Personally I don't get riled up over it...I have better things to spend my energy on. lol
Ahhh yes I can understand that! Agreed I have other things to worry about than word play.

Skip and Full skip is: 3 DL - 1 cutter - 3DL - 1 cutter. They are the same thing.

Looking at my original quote, I meant that he has Full skip semi chisel, not the other way around :dumb:Def don't want a wavy plank..
Semi chisel makes a smooth cut with the round corner ,ripping chain looks like semi chisel but narrower .If have a way to sharpen square chain ,it does a smooth cut also because it is less grabby than round .

Semi chisel makes a smooth cut with the round corner ,ripping chain looks like semi chisel but narrower .If have a way to sharpen square chain ,it does a smooth cut also because it is less grabby than round .
Rip comes in semi, micro and chisel depending on brand. Bailey's Woodland Pro ripping is semi chisel while Oregon's 70 series RipCut is semi chisel and their 95 series is a micro chisel...half way between chisel and semi. I think there is also some NK too but never looked into it.

Back