Full skip ripping chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried searching but didn't come up with much...

Is there a production full skip ripping chain? My old man has a mildly modded Ms460 that we'd like to use making a table out of a 30"+ oak.

Can't seem to find any chain that we wouldn't have to grind ourselves.

Ideas?
My ms 460 pulls square chisel skip around a 60" bar (see avatar). I have carlton rip comp chain (reel) that I was disatified with so the oregon skip. More thought would have taken me to grinding every third cutter off the rip chain after making loop. If that doesn't work, when I make a 42" loop, to my satisfaction I'll try 2 on 2 off. The skip chain is hard to tell from the rip since the square is close to 10* as delivered, and correct feed rate for situation is more important to surface than which chain. According to BobL who has more experimental experience with milling than I.

My ms 460 pulls square chisel skip around a 60" bar (see avatar). I have carlton rip comp chain (reel) that I was disatified with so the oregon skip. More thought would have taken me to grinding every third cutter off the rip chain after making loop. If that doesn't work, when I make a 42" loop, to my satisfaction I'll try 2 on 2 off. The skip chain is hard to tell from the rip since the square is close to 10* as delivered, and correct feed rate for situation is more important to surface than which chain. According to BobL who has more experimental experience with milling than I.
Feed rate is definitely critical...if those cutters are not kept busy grabbing kerf, they will dance around and grab slab. If you need to reposition or take a break, make sure the feed pressure continues until the chain stops.

I'll add to fatten the saw up a bit and use a lower oil ratio.

On the small amount of milling I've done, I went with 24:1.

30" red oak is just what I milled using full skip chain. It took every drop of power a ported 066 had. It's surprising how hard it is on a saw.

Still working on it. 15' length of 30"
Look at your chain closely. I spent around 15 min cut time in this 30"-33" 10' Red Oak slab yesterday...and that was with taking my time and not pushing it at all to experiment with finish vs feed rate. I show the chips a couple times to show the chains durability.

Latest posts

Back