Fun question. What saw should I get next?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's my point lol I want the good old country boy out there cutting for 20 years with the same saw telling me what to buy to heat my house. The whole firewood deal is about saving money.

Keep telling yourself that. It didn't work for me. I have a few saws now, and cutting firewood takes a lot of time. What's your time worth? I love doing it though and will keep hearing with wood as long as I'm able.

Looks like the 20 inch bar is the way to go. This site is funny depending on how old posts are and where you read them you get totally different opinions. That's the reason this is in the fire wood section. The last thread I read on here a few months ago basically said you are an idiot if you are not working the saw to it's potential. It was from a few years back and about the difference in clutch sprockets sizes.

Still haven't decided what I want but 300 dollars is probably my limit.
I have learned on here, that some of these guys are cutting soft wood only....hell yes my 461 will run a 32" bar in silver maple or a softer wood, but try jamming that same 32" in some white or red oak, different ball game!!!

Take it all with a grain of salt!!!

That's my point lol I want the good old country boy out there cutting for 20 years with the same saw telling me what to buy to heat my house. The whole firewood deal is about saving money.

I don't know about good ole country boy, but my dad cut 3 cords for his house (mostly oak, ash, and sugar maple from our woods up to 30" diameter) and 10 cords for the sugarbush (just cutting slab wood to length) every year for at least 15 years with an 036 and a 20" 3/8 bar. A couple of air filters and a carb kit and it runs like new to this day.

When I moved back to the farm I caught the saw bug. The 036 is still around, but the load is shared over several saws. One benefit of this is that each saw is only subjected to a fraction of the run time.. Another benefit is that you can have saws that are better suited to different tasks. A super lightweight 35-50cc saw is an awesome tool to use in small wood and brushy stuff. A big saw makes big wood far less of a chore. That 036 wears a 16" bar now, and is lighter and more fun than when he had a 20" bar on it. A big saw with a small bar for limbing is a compromise, just like a small saw with a big bar is for bucking big logs.

Now I've done it I put an 85 dollar offer on an 028 on eBay and they accepted it which I wasn't thinking they would. It's apparently an estate sale buy that runs with extra chain. For that price I can make it a super and fix anything else wrong with it. Going to have to sneak it into the house.

O I know. I didn't need a saw I just wanted another. I have the 64 cc 290 the 50 cc husky 450 soon an 028 a craftsman 42cc a poulan pro 42cc and a poulan 36cc which will end up being a 42 cc at some point... I don't need half of them but I like them lol.

This 028 has a 16 inch bar I don't own a saw with a 16 inch bar. See I don't have CAD I'm just filling the gap lol

Like I said originally I wanted a non clamshell saw.

I have done a few 290 to 390 conversion with cheap kits and they actually ran fine...

I would put a 20"-24",(now some guys and even Stihl said you could run up to a 24" on the 390), on the 390/390 you have and a short bar on the 028....

I am saying all this keeping in mind you are trying to keep cost down....

Yea I'll keep the 20 inch bar on the 390 and the 16 on the 028.

I'd never buy a 290 again to make a 390 that was like an 8 hour job. The craftsman was apart and back together in an hour. Idk y stihl got so stupid on that series.

The damn bar stud goes into the engine, you get used to them, but the first time can piss you off, especially if a guys in a hurry...

Did you use the bearings that came with it....I used the bearings and seals and I know that the saw has been running 2-years with no issues.....now it's not a daily used saws, but it cuts wood when it's needed...

I destroyed the bar stud with vice grips because I didn't know I needed a stud remover and I wanted it done. My dad had a die and fixed the threads for me. My saw looked new I think someone over heated it with a dull chain. The piston was scored but the crank and bearings were all tight so I changed the seals and nothing else. I bought a crank and everything thinking some a hole put straight gas in it the first use but that didn't seem to be true.

I haven't used it much since the rebuild but I rebuilt it after I cut all my firewood this year since it was still running on a scored piston.

O I know. I didn't need a saw I just wanted another. I have the 64 cc 290 the 50 cc husky 450 soon an 028 a craftsman 42cc a poulan pro 42cc and a poulan 36cc which will end up being a 42 cc at some point... I don't need half of them but I like them lol.

This 028 has a 16 inch bar I don't own a saw with a 16 inch bar. See I don't have CAD I'm just filling the gap lol

Like I said originally I wanted a non clamshell saw.

It's worse than I thought......

I'd keep the 028 with the 16 inch bar, sell everything else and get into a 044/460/372.

*Personal opinion

I have a slew of Stihl saws that are really jealous of both my Husky 350 and 353. Considering the size you are looking for (026 to 028), if you can find a 353 that runs well, I would not even hesitate. Buy it. The problem is, they are scarce as hen's teeth. These saws spoil you rather fast. Light and powerful enough for practically all firewood collecting except big bucking and felling.

What I really like about them is their impressive fuel economy. I can usually cut a whole truckload of firewood on one tank of fuel. I'm not sure of the model number of the new Husky that replaced the 353, but I'm sure it's out there for about $500 and some change. I picked my 353 up on e-bay for $230 shipped and it was money well spent.

Now, if you are sold on Stihl, the venerable 026 PRO is a dandy that's affordable and available. That's why I own two of them and sold my MS 290. And yes, I am a bargain hunter.

I picked up an 028 woods boss for 85 dollars. Gives me some room in the budget for a super cylinder. My 290 with the big bore kit is a pig. I'm hoping this saw becomes my favorite and I could care less if I ever use the 290 again. Most of the trees I cut around here are 18 inches or less at the base and are maple cherry or ash. There's the occasional pine and I have a stack of old oak barn beams laying around.

Being a newb when I bought the 290 i paid a good amount for it then put another 150 into it so 500 deep on a 290 with a 49mm kit hurts a bit. I'd be lucky to get my 350 back out of it. If I could though I'd look at a nice 262xp or 272xp.

The Stihl 028 Wood Boss should never have been discontinued by Stihl. I have two left in my arsenal and both run very well. I would never trade either of them for an MS 290. For $85, you got a terrific bargain. I have never been able to match that price for an 028 that runs well. Congratulations on your purchase and good luck! Please keep us posted on this saw and how well it works for you.

Latest posts

Back