Fun question. What saw should I get next?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's sitting at the post office I didn't get out of work early enough to get it today but when I get it I'll put up pics. When I bought the 290 i was looking at that and a 028 super well here I am buying an 028... should have bought one the first time

It's sitting at the post office I didn't get out of work early enough to get it today but when I get it I'll put up pics. When I bought the 290 i was looking at that and a 028 super well here I am buying an 028... should have bought one the first time
Correct. The 290 I sold would not stay with the 028s that I now have remaining. At one time I owned five 028s but sold three of them. All their new owners like what they have. Heck, if they didn't, I told them I would buy the saw back and throw in another twenty dollar bill.

View attachment 591539
View attachment 591540
View attachment 591545
View attachment 591548

There ya go that's what I got. Built in Virginia beach. Didn't know they were made in the USA. Any info on about would be great.
Looks to be in good shape. Add a little rust remover to the muffler and rub it down with an abrasive. If it has compression, it will likely be a good performer. Clean it all up, make sure it has a good spark, and report back.

So, you spent $190 for this saw? Just curious.

I'm in the tree business and run husky 550xps next to 445 saws pretty often. Both get the job done efficiently. If I wasn't cutting every day then a good 50cc or 60cc saw would be all I need for just firewood. But I am cheap too.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I don't have a tester. I was going to get one soon I read on here that many people were pleased with the actron tester from AutoZone or wherever. I just know that all my other saws don't have streaks on the piston. They are not in the rings though and the intake side of the cylinder looked good.

The eBay seller I got it from isn't a chainsaw seller they are an estate sale seller and said they cut some branches with it so I'm wondering about the mix they used. But either way I bought it based on over all condition knowing the piston maybe trashed. I don't mind doing a rebuild but it's not in the budget at the moment.

The eBay seller I got it from isn't a chainsaw seller they are an estate sale seller and said they cut some branches with it so I'm wondering about the mix they used. But either way I bought it based on over all condition knowing the piston maybe trashed. I don't mind doing a rebuild but it's not in the budget at the moment.
If it had no compression (say less than 105 psi.), it would not be running at all and no carb adjustment would save it. If the seller said it was a runner, then your compression is likely between 120 and 150 psi. Hold the saw by the pull cord handle. If it fails to fall from it's own weight, you likely have enough compression to operate and run. It's a rough test but surprisingly accurate. I have an 026 with a 18" bar on it, and it will hold. I have an 024 AV with a 16" bar on it, and it will not hold. It's also short on power.

Needless to say, my 064 AV will hold with a 32" bar on board and it's a bone crusher to start. Gasp!

That piston looks rough...

Just don't want you to get a fixer upper when you thought you were getting a runni

Nope like I said I got it for about 110 and bought it based on the assumption that it would need a rebuild. I really wanted an 028 super but I knew that if I could get this 028 cheap I could give it a new cylinder and piston and probably be further ahead than a used super.

The two Poulans are residential saws sold with minimal compression. They typically last about 100 hours and die, eventually starting but not continuing to idle, so they drive their owners crazy and the mechanics they hire to fix them. Eventually, they don't start nor idle. BTDT

I suggest that you run this 028 until you think it lacks power. Then rebuild it as need be. I'd like to have back at least three of the 028's that I sold last year and the two years before. I still have three remaining. Unfortunately, they cannot all be run by the same owner at once. And, they keep on going and going and going....

That was the plan run it for a bit then when I'm bored this winter rebuild it. My little green poulan has cut way more than 100 hours. Those were the last real poulans this poulan pro I got refurbished for less than 100$ is a POS. It's maybe got 30 hours on it and has some marks on the piston. I'll rebuild the little green one maybe the other one someday.

Good deal....hopefully you get some good run time from her....hell I have had saws run that looked like that and worse, lol...

Had a ms250 recently that I just knew I thought I heard a bearing going bad....well since I can't image selling a "flawed" saw to someone, I took the whole damn thing apart...sure enough the pto crank beating was shot, I can't believe it didn't let go in the saw while running...I personally started it up and cut with a few times LOL.....you just never know!

Hell you can always sell the 028 in the future if you need a bigger saw.....

Back