Fun question. What saw should I get next?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually Mustang71, I got an 028 my wife brought home last fall. It was my father-in-laws. There was a shop tag on the case, tuned Nov. 2011. It had not been used since. When I got it I gave it to a guy to look at it. He said it started on the fifth pull and put it back in the case. I hadn't even opened the case before giving it to him. It was floating in bar oil. What a mess. I had no idea... I cleaned it up, and the case. Nice case design for that (Not!). It sat again until your thread, at which time I pulled it out again. It started on the second pull. So thanks...for getting me to take a second look at this saw. A buddy used to do tree work and said he put a lot of hours on this model saw back in the day when he (we) was younger. (He helped me build our house.)

I also called Stihl with the serial number to find out how old it is. Surprisingly, they couldn't tell me. Only that they were built between '79 and '83. He told me not to run reg. fuel, only Stihls canned fuel in it to protect the seals and hoses on a saw that old.
I guess I'll put a new .325 bar and chain on it, new rim sprocket, and use it on the log deck. I've switched to recreational fuel for mix and small engines. I generally run 3/8" and would do that to keep sharpening the same, but it will pull .325 much easier. My go to mid size saw is a Huski so the same length bar is probably a different number of drivers anyway which would end up more confusing keeping them sorted.
If the 028 goes bad it may be my first rebuild.

I mainly wanted to get a pro saw since I have all these homeowner grade saws. But I also don't break the saws out much when it's hot out unless I need to take care of something. So I think this was the best price point for me. Maybe I can convince someone to trade me an 036 for my 290 haha. My 290 works fine for my needs.

I enjoy working on saws too. I hate working on vehicles but do it because I can and I no longer have the mustang so project saws are good for me.

20170722_151742.jpg

My 3 year old son wants a camp fire tonight so I figured wth I'll cut down an almost dead ash that I was going to cut this winter.

The 028 started after about 50 pulls since they shipped it dry. But after that it cut awesomely. Idles great has tons of power sounds good.

I missed my notch a bit when dropping it since I was watching my son to make sure he was safe where I told him to stand. It still fell where I wanted it but I had to cut more than I wanted to.

Broke out the 290 and did the first real cutting since the rebuild and got it all tuned it. But I like the power band and the way the 028 runs much better than the 290. It's a bit snappier too.
20170722_160235.jpg

Wait till you get an orange saw.....

:laugh:

Seriously, a good 346xp can be found for $200 and a fixer upper 288xp can be found for $100 around here. Anyway, enjoy your purchase and happy sawing!
You are lucky then. I couldn't locate a decent 346 for under $350. I have a 345 and all of the parts to put a 346 top end on it and will have a virtually new saw for a shade under $300.

You are lucky then. I couldn't locate a decent 346 for under $350. I have a 345 and all of the parts to put a 346 top end on it and will have a virtually new saw for a shade under $300.

It's not common, but it does happen. I have a near new 346xp I paid $250 for a few years back. At the time I had an app that would alert me by email as soon as a saw was posted, which is the way to find the deals. I bought a good 036 Pro for $150 with a new piston. I bought a mint MS460 for $500. At the same time, 90% of the listings are for worn out ms290 priced at $350 so you have to be patient.

Back