G/Teeth Performance Upgrade Kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Any time I think of upgrading to a diesel I remember the added cost and time of rotating/ changing teeth."

I think you will find that to not be true. I rarely have to change all 24 teeth. The most I will ever do in the field is the 6 lead teeth.
Upgrade. You will never regret the increased reliability and production.

I have the original type stock 1/2" wheel . However , shortly after changing to the Greenteeth setup , the wheel split !!!!
May have been a fluke ,as it was the original wheel and was 15 years old...showed indications of cracking from wear and tear thru the years..with the 34 Kohler upgrade I did & the 3 set Greenteeth ,I think the extra torque did the deed
Now that I've used the Greenteeth setup , I really wish I had gone for the 900 series instead of the 700's
New setup is a BEAST I cut a oak stump that was over 100" root to root in an hour and 45 mins probably would have been quicker but I'm picky about getting everything well under ground.

Here's the latest update on installing Greenteeth on my 252...I went with the 700's using the 3 pair setup (every 120 degrees)..6 teeth total.. What a great setup for a 252 !!..
With the 34 HP Kohler engine upgrade ,I now have sped up my production time greatly...Took a bit of adjusting myself to letting the teeth do the work..
Old habits die hard ....First job was 6 36"/38" pin oaks...ate 'em up in a shade less than 2 1/2 hrs..
Pleased so far...The total cost of G/T's was about same as old 16 tooth setup , but much faster and simpler to change in the field,,,No more breaker-bar just a 5/8" wrench

Latest Update as of 8/17 ::
After changing to the 3 set Greenteth setup initially and using it for awhile , I found that the increased vibration was destroying my machine..To start with ,the original cutter wheel split and a large chunk came off... I guess the spacing between the block/tooth sets were causing more vibration.. Then every weld on the cutter boom .shields/braces /brackets started cracking and had to be rewelded. This occured on a weekly basis...
So , I reverted to the original 8 pair original tooth/block 252 setup. The vibration is remarkably less , and the increased rotating mass helps keep the wheel from stalling and bogging down. With my 34HP Kohler upgrade ,its a real stump hog.... Its a bit more expensive to use more teeth ,but I'm having to do way less repair.
I'm using the Greenteeth Wearsharp 900 series tooth with 6 angle block pairs and 2 straight block pairs .
Haven't had to do any welding in the last few months since switching from the 3 pair setup to the 8 pair setup..
Will advise if anything changes...
Stan

I did the Green teeth on stock wheel (great), and then the Green wheel (OK). I also did a study on the difference for school.
The higher RPM, due to a change in pulleys, is the ticket in my opinion. That is the "smoother" running that the testimonials describe.
If the upgrade includes a change in RPM, it may be worth the price. If nothing but a change in teeth, probably not worth it.

Bob

You guys should just switch up to the alpine rhino wheel. Only 4 teeth, and cuts like butter

Latest Update as of 8/17 ::
After changing to the 3 set Greenteth setup initially and using it for awhile , I found that the increased vibration was destroying my machine..To start with ,the original cutter wheel split and a large chunk came off... I guess the spacing between the block/tooth sets were causing more vibration.. Then every weld on the cutter boom .shields/braces /brackets started cracking and had to be rewelded. This occured on a weekly basis...
So , I reverted to the original 8 pair original tooth/block 252 setup. The vibration is remarkably less , and the increased rotating mass helps keep the wheel from stalling and bogging down. With my 34HP Kohler upgrade ,its a real stump hog.... Its a bit more expensive to use more teeth ,but I'm having to do way less repair.
I'm using the Greenteeth Wearsharp 900 series tooth with 6 angle block pairs and 2 straight block pairs .
Haven't had to do any welding in the last few months since switching from the 3 pair setup to the 8 pair setup..
Will advise if anything changes...
Stan
Vermeer Upgrade Assembly DiagramAS.jpg

There are two positions the upgrade pockets can go that look the same on the 252’s. The only time I have had negative feedback from this setup is when the outside positions are used (position B). This will cause vibration. We found out while testing that one of the outer positions is farther out on the wheel than the others, causing that tooth to take more material, resulting in a perpetual vibration. Having all the teeth on the same cutting plain is essential to allow each tooth to take the same amount when sweeping.

If you had them on the inner position the only other thing I can think of is that maybe the holes in the wheel were staring to egg out a causing the pockets to tilt when installed. The nominal size hole is about 0.64106 or 41/64th. A typical hole clearance should be .015 over, given that a 5/8 bolt mounting hole should be drilled out to .640. If you have to much clearance between the 5/8” bolt and the hole it can cause the pocket to cant forward causing the tooth to hit at an incorrect cutting angle.

If you have a picture of the teeth from the upgrade, I could look at them to see if they were wearing incorrectly. To the same effect I would be happy to look at the teeth you have on their now to evaluate the wear pattern.

Chris : Thanks for the input. Just as a test , I'll try the positions you recommend ( A)...In the interest of cost ,I'd really like to use the 3 pair tooth setup..That would help my cost per stump greatly..
Will test and reply on the results...BTW : I've changed to the 900 wearsharp series and they work great on my 252 /34 hpKohler machine
Thanks ,
Stan NCgrinder

Chris : Thanks for the input. Just as a test , I'll try the positions you recommend ( A)...In the interest of cost ,I'd really like to use the 3 pair tooth setup..That would help my cost per stump greatly..
Will test and reply on the results...BTW : I've changed to the 900 wearsharp series and they work great on my 252 /34 hpKohler machine
Thanks ,
Stan NCgrinder

Chris P. : I followed your recommended setup diagram last week . I used the "A" designated mount holes , went back to the 3 pair setup ,and the cut now is very smooth with little or no increase in vibration. I've only used the revised setup for the last week ,but I think your advice worked.
Thanks for the input.. This setup will also help reduce my operating expenses... saving me at least $100 on a full set of teeth ( 6 teeth vs 16 teeth )
Thanks again ,
Stan NCgrinder

Chris P. : I followed your recommended setup diagram last week . I used the "A" designated mount holes , went back to the 3 pair setup ,and the cut now is very smooth with little or no increase in vibration. I've only used the revised setup for the last week ,but I think your advice worked.
Thanks for the input.. This setup will also help reduce my operating expenses... saving me at least $100 on a full set of teeth ( 6 teeth vs 16 teeth )
Thanks again ,
Stan NCgrinder

Thanks for the update Stan, I’m glad I was able to help!

Latest posts

Back