Gaff pain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david1332

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I've done some research on what's happening with me and can't find anything to help me out.

So here's the situation.
Whenever I'm using my gaffs doing removals and chunking down spars and such, I will get an incredible bruise and bump on my ankle bones. For some reason when I gaff into the tree, the shank will at times slam into my ankle bone, and we all know how that feels.

I've done multiple things to try and mitigate the situation, I bought higher boots with a pretty prominent heel, and even a totally new pair of spikes.

I'm 100% certain I'm not wearing them wrong and that they are in fact adjusted to the right height. I've tried wrapping the lower strap around the shank and that makes it worse.

I'm not slamming my spikes into the tree either, and always make sure my gaffs are sharp.

Can anyone make any recommendations?

Do they make spikes that have a bend around the ankle bone so this doesn't happen?

Or so I just need to buy a pair of geckos and hope they work? Lol

We have a pair of carbon fiber full wrap spikes like this:image%3A11111.jpg they are cozy but feel like moon boots when out on a limb.

i've climbed few times with buckingham spurs
it hurts like a b!tch for me, i just can get it right for the life of me
for me its the part below my knee near my shin
the pain can be unbearable at times, it helped when i didnt tighten the strap on my ankle and knee
that much. left some slack on it and it helped alot, but i havent climbed for a long time now

Been using winter boots for climbing for a number of years. Yeah, they're hot sometimes but the padding is glorious. Sometimes I will use shin pads and always have knee pads.

Certain gaffs curve there. If you don't want to buy gaffs try different boots and nice thick cushy merino wool socks.
I wear these on and off spikes and on the ground and they are great.
download.jpg

I have a plate in my ankle that's a bit sensitive to getting bumped and I have found mountaineering boots to be the best thing for my situation. Using climbright gaffs fwiw.

Certain gaffs curve there. If you don't want to buy gaffs try different boots and nice thick cushy merino wool socks.
I wear these on and off spikes and on the ground and they are great.
View attachment 551700

I have a plate in my ankle that's a bit sensitive to getting bumped and I have found mountaineering boots to be the best thing for my situation. Using climbright gaffs fwiw.
What kind of boots are those?

Yea retail is pretty high. I paid $220, shop around.
I probably spend 70-80 hrs a week in these and my last pair of la sportivas lasted over 2yrs.
Pretty good cost for the use if you ask me.
In the words of lt. Dan: take care of yer feet

I'm not sure who they build spikes to fit but they aren't for me. I have to wear knee high socks and soccer shin pads under my pants. I get blisters and bruises if I dont. With all the energy focused on ascenders and saddles they've just bypassed spikes. That being said, do whatever you need to. Add padding or whatever. One day they will make great spikes. But then, they'll probably be $700.00.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I started climbing when about 40 years ago because some one needed to get up those darn trees mostly for trimming. Since having surgery on one of my knees several times it seemed very difficult to think that there would not be many issues with it. My specific problem was that there are several dead spots on my leg that have not much sensitivity. So going up a tree was OK until my gaff started slipping around and digging into my ankle then painful is an understatement. So I bought some plaster of paris to make a negative mold around my lower leg. Then with the mold made a fiberglass wrap around. The carbon fiber wrap arounds that are seen today were not so readily available several years ago. My home made gaffs still fit and are still very comfortable today. They literally fit like a glove and stay in place as long as needed. They have gone through many repairs and modifications through the years but still do the job. As I remember there are two pairs hanging next to my saddle. Thanks

Try loosening the lower strap a touch, I was having the same problem, loosed the bottom strap 2 holes and now they are good.
What I have found now is after 6 weeks of not climbing due to broken bones, the arches of my ache when standing in my gaffs

Back