Gas and Oil Containers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just curious what repurposed containers do you guys use for hauling fuel and oil in the field?

I've seen a few unique ones. Favorite fuel container was a liquid laundry detergent jug because it has a built in pour spout. Also liked maple syrup squeeze bottle ie Aunt Jemima with push cap for bar oil.

I started out using a dawn dish soap bottle for bar oil but realized it didn't have enough capacity for one day of cutting and just use the gallon jug it comes in. I refill that from a 5 gal pail of bar oil. Gas I use a one gal gas can.

I stored hydraulic oil in a milk jug one time because I didn't have a suitable container. Needless to say, it took about two weeks and the oil ate threw the milk jug and leaked hyd oil all over the shelf it was on.
Always use approved containers. You never know what could happen.

Just another side note. At work we put Hydraulic oil, ATF, coolant in 3 gallon diesel fuel containers because they fit in the work truck better. But they were clearly labeled and osha approved because of the newer lables.

I also use the No Spill brand gas can and a quart oil container for my bar oil. The gas containers seem to be well built and work great. I buy non-ethanol fuel in a bigger container then transfer it to my mixed fuel container which is marked accordingly.

I mix 10l of fuel at a time and pour from that with no spout , very little is spilled .
I transfer my bar lube to empty Liqui Moly oil containers because it has a nice built in spout , if it wasn't for the spout it would be out of the container it came with .

I laugh at some of the people i work for when they give me their old "junk" gas cans (the good kind with seperate vent cap, not the stupid ventless cans we get these days). I have a collection of sorts of nice older 1 and 2 gallon gas cans i use depending on the time of the year, and i always carry a 1 quart oil container (repurposed ATF or power steering fluid container) in my saw bag for easy fillups. Its rare for me to cut long enough in one day to need much more than a quart of oil. one or two loads of wood is enough for a day.

When I used to use tops for firewood I would carry my supplies in a backpack that I wore. Some days all I did was walk the bush and cut branches off the tops then later we would drag them out to a landing. I used juice bottles for fuel and bar oil. They were small enough to fit in the backpack and when I went thru 3 bottles worth I was usually done too. Every few weeks I would burn the bottles in my campfire as they would get "weak" from the fuel mixture.

I took the spout from a bottle of 80W-90 when I changed the fluid in the rear end of my truck and put it on the gallon jug of bar and chain oil. It threaded right on and I haven't had to find another solution.

I use a 2 gallon gas can for 2 cycle mix. I have a wood box that holds both containers and other supplies that I throw in the truck when I cut firewood.

I laugh at some of the people i work for when they give me their old "junk" gas cans (the good kind with seperate vent cap, not the stupid ventless cans we get these days). I have a collection of sorts of nice older 1 and 2 gallon gas cans i use depending on the time of the year, and i always carry a 1 quart oil container (repurposed ATF or power steering fluid container) in my saw bag for easy fillups. Its rare for me to cut long enough in one day to need much more than a quart of oil. one or two loads of wood is enough for a day.

I work at our recycle ctr,/transfer station, and the older good fuel cans come in quite frequently. I have a very nice supply on 5, 3, 2 1/2, 1 1/2 and 1 gal in like new condition. People getting rid of them act like the new cans are an up grade, or the vent is broke and time to replace the can. Some of my snowmobile friends have me watching for them now. If it's not like new I'll let someone else have it.

Just an FYI for people who hate safety cans as much as yours truly. Get on flea bay and type in vp racing cans and enjoy no safety wide mouth cans with vent.... you can buy the spout as well I got four 5 gallon cans with spouts for 115 bucks I believe... you can thank me later lol

I just use a jug the bar oil comes in for gas with a orange ribbon on the pour handle as well as a b/c oil jug for "guess what"...tie them together with a pull cord for the saw and if you need a quick fix for the rewind ? guess again! kinda like what granny used to say "a stich in time saves nine"....... best deal is if you forgot to add mix oil to the b/c jug for gas, there's usually enough b/c to get you something? lol

axes2.JPG

Nothing too out of the ordinary that I can remember. Note the water bottle cap on the spout. Gas cans are a rip off, all mine are hand me downs, thrift store finds or a gift from years ago. That can there was my grandad's. You can see a small rub mark where he clipped a grease gun for the bar nose.

I don't have any of the new-fangled vent-less "no-spill" containers... well... that's not entirely true, I have one 6 gallon that I converted into a real gas can.

For fuel I use an old plastic 2½ gallon with a flexible "pull-out" spout (Blitz I believe). Easy to handle, very low-profile when the spout is stowed inside the container, and the flexible spout makes refueling neat 'n' clean.
For bar 'n' chain oil I use a plastic 1 gallon gas can... one of those old ones with a yellow pour spout (Chilton?), also neat 'n' clean for refilling.

http://ezpourspout.com/

I have a couple of these they work great for the no vent cans new flexible spout and a vent

For the saw I use the gallon of oil and a 1 gallon no vent it doesn't bother me pouring the little bit the saw takes but a 5 gal I hate them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back