Gas spits out of carb on saw when running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems to run strong, idling is more the issue. I'll open it up again with a carb kit and see what happens. It seems like a good size for a limb cutter, unlike my 3.7, thanks guys!

Might be a leaking crank seal if idling is the problem. I think it will have an accelerator pump in the carby too which can wear out and cause idling issues. Also check the oil pump o rings. The oil pump plunger screws in from the front just to the left of the carby when looking from the front.

ba6e31fc9726f95b2494f100eb761088.jpg

Wards 4.0"/ Remington PL-5.

Every poulan super xxv or micro I've ever had always spit back,in fact if you had ur hand on the wrap without the top on tuning the carb it'd get your hand wet.

I can accept that a lot of saws, and other O P E will spit back, but its a matter of how much. My Weedeater blower would not start without ether, as the case compression was too low, due to leaking back up the intake. You could see the cloud of mist coming out the carb when it was idling, that is when it would.

Obviously the are acceptable and unacceptable limits, as with everything, and a lot of factors determining what is and isn't acceptable. I have a several pieces of O P E that don't run as they should, have low compression, etc., but I'm not worried, as they were cheap and do what I bought them for. Others I take more pride in, as they were more expensive, and I need them to work first time, every time.

Question, is it possible that the spit back worsens the closer the carb is to the crankcase, the carb on the super25s are like right on top of the case, no intake boot..

Further to my last post, a reed valve engine should never spit back, as the reed should close instantly once the crankcase pressure rises above the intake pressure.

I'm not going to disagree with you. Bc in theory you're right but I know like my super 25s and Micros are reed valve everyone of them spit back always have. So I guess I don't know.

2-cycles will always spit back. Even with a reed valve the closing of the valve takes time during which the air column in the carburetor reverses momentarily. Air filters of modern saws have a round baffle aligned with the carb bore to reduce the amount of fuel spit out...

Maybe amount of spitback is the issue? Before I put the carb kit in, the gas spitting out was enough to soak my hand in seconds (obvious malfunction) how much spits out when it "OK to be"?

When doing the carb, check the inlet needle (needle valve below the metering diaphragm/lever). It should open only when the diaphragm/lever is depressed a little.

Back