Gear Obsession

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeMuggs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Excerpt from my article...

Over the last 10 years there has been a flood of new kit onto the arborist scene. Gear, gadgets, gizmos, doohickeys, thingamajigs, contraptions. Call it what you want. Most of it is fluff.

For the majority of my climbing career I have been what you would consider a minimalist. The people that I learned from were the same. Just old-school climbing with a rope, lanyard, and handsaw. Natural crotch rigging, because it’s fast, and because, as we used to say, “friction is a good thing”. Trucker’s hitch instead of a fiddle block because it just works. No fancy gear, no new-fangled whatsits. Just one guy, one rigging line, one job well done. Consistently.

I want to paint a picture to illustrate a point. Here’s the scenario:

Early morning, mid-September. It’s you vs. Jack Nicklaus: 18 holes, winner takes all. You are playing on your home course, so you know it better than the bottom of your beer glass. Jack has never played this course before, in fact, he hasn’t even practiced in 6 months. In your corner, you have a professional caddy for expert advice, as well as a fully stocked bag with $5000 worth of the finest golf clubs that money can buy. Jack on the other hand, has to carry his own clubs around, which by the way, are old and crappy. His clubs were old and crappy in 1962. Now, any predictions on how this plays out?

Here’s my prediction: He is gonna whoop your butt.

You see, someone who is great at what they do is not great because they have all the fancy kit. They are great because they put in the time. They practiced. They studied the tape. They were willing to fail in the short term to win in the long term. They earned the right to have a fully-stocked gear bag with all of the latest gadgets and gizmos. The gadgets and gizmos were not the starting point. They were the extra bonus features tacked onto the end. The job could have been done just as well without them.

Continue Reading: EducatedClimber - Gear Obsession

-

Hey Muggs. You're right about all the gear. I catch myself drooling over all the new shiny gadgets. And even buying a few. I also try them out on a fun climb and see how the help and find uses for them. But when it comes to a serious working climb, I always go very basic. I want what's tried, true and basic. I'll never stop desiring to learn though and trying new things. Thank you for your site and all the information you have taken the time to document there. I've already learned quite a bit there. Looking forward to more to come. Thanks, Ben.

Interesting read, i tend to agree. I read a lot ln the forums about all these fancy tools and srt this.
On the other hand, some old school climbers could benefit greatly by embracing some of the new technology. For example at my work there are 8 climbers, we all climb drt on powerlines, mostly wearing gaffs as its a requirement. 2 of us climb on a zig zag, the other six still use an English prussic,

Excerpt from my article...

Over the last 10 years there has been a flood of new kit onto the arborist scene. Gear, gadgets, gizmos, doohickeys, thingamajigs, contraptions. Call it what you want. Most of it is fluff.

For the majority of my climbing career I have been what you would consider a minimalist. The people that I learned from were the same. Just old-school climbing with a rope, lanyard, and handsaw. Natural crotch rigging, because it’s fast, and because, as we used to say, “friction is a good thing”. Trucker’s hitch instead of a fiddle block because it just works. No fancy gear, no new-fangled whatsits. Just one guy, one rigging line, one job well done. Consistently.

I want to paint a picture to illustrate a point. Here’s the scenario:

Early morning, mid-September. It’s you vs. Jack Nicklaus: 18 holes, winner takes all. You are playing on your home course, so you know it better than the bottom of your beer glass. Jack has never played this course before, in fact, he hasn’t even practiced in 6 months. In your corner, you have a professional caddy for expert advice, as well as a fully stocked bag with $5000 worth of the finest golf clubs that money can buy. Jack on the other hand, has to carry his own clubs around, which by the way, are old and crappy. His clubs were old and crappy in 1962. Now, any predictions on how this plays out?

Here’s my prediction: He is gonna whoop your butt.

You see, someone who is great at what they do is not great because they have all the fancy kit. They are great because they put in the time. They practiced. They studied the tape. They were willing to fail in the short term to win in the long term. They earned the right to have a fully-stocked gear bag with all of the latest gadgets and gizmos. The gadgets and gizmos were not the starting point. They were the extra bonus features tacked onto the end. The job could have been done just as well without them.

Continue Reading: EducatedClimber - Gear Obsession

-
Another scenario we have 40 dead wooding trees each. Climber 1 has 30 years of doing it all ways including hip thrusting etc. You have the no fancy gear etc. Climber 1 sets ten ropes with a big shot whist you start 1st tree. You made it down just as climber 1 has his wraptor set up for the first tree and you're grinning thinking wtf is this idiot doing:yes: Now climber 1 begins his 1st tree and you're on number two. Opps climber 1 is up and down so fast now you're grin has turned into sweating to keep up,how did I let this old fart school me you say. At days end the old fart "being old" has managed to keep just ahead because you're drive has kept you competitive. Now and here's the best part, climber 1 goes home plays with the puppy and grandkids whilst you go home and soak in the hot tub "ahh the fancy life":guitar:

old school climber here but i keep up with all the new gear n stuff by attending judging and helping at OZ - ISA climbing competitions.. Sure i envy some of the new energy saving gear its great but sometimes l'll look at a harness weighted down with all manner of bits n bobs & wonder is that too many links in the chain.

This was just something that I have been thinking for a few years now and finally wrote down.

I love the new gear as much as the next guy, and I use a lot of the new stuff. I love the marketplace that has grown up around this industry. It is amazing. I still have my original Rope Wrench that says "Made in Detroit". I am not suggesting that great climbers shouldn't have the best gear. My writing is for the younger crowd. If I had a young climber just starting out, and I could choose between them having a deep sense of personal responsibility, or a [insert newest piece of kit here], I think you would agree with me which is more important.

Gear is great. I love new gear. But that doesn't change the fact that "fancy gear does not a great climber make." Deny that all you want, it rings true.

There is a ton of noise out there. There are literally so many options out there for beginning climbers that they couldn't possibly know what they need. All I am saying is that what you need is experience, and good judgement, and knowledge - not gear. At least not at first. The gear comes later. The Basics are what matter. Learn the Basics and learn how to get the job done with less, not more. This is all I am trying to teach my apprentice.

This was just something that I have been thinking for a few years now and finally wrote down.

I love the new gear as much as the next guy, and I use a lot of the new stuff. I love the marketplace that has grown up around this industry. It is amazing. I still have my original Rope Wrench that says "Made in Detroit". I am not suggesting that great climbers shouldn't have the best gear. My writing is for the younger crowd. If I had a young climber just starting out, and I could choose between them having a deep sense of personal responsibility, or a [insert newest piece of kit here], I think you would agree with me which is more important.

Gear is great. I love new gear. But that doesn't change the fact that "fancy gear does not a great climber make." Deny that all you want, it rings true.

There is a ton of noise out there. There are literally so many options out there for beginning climbers that they couldn't possibly know what they need. All I am saying is that what you need is experience, and good judgement, and knowledge - not gear. At least not at first. The gear comes later. The Basics are what matter. Learn the Basics and learn how to get the job done with less, not more. This is all I am trying to teach my apprentice.
Totally agree I also will go so far to say a climber should be able to use just a rope to get up or down. I'm not saying they ever should climb that way but they should know how to get down with a bowline on the bight should that need ever arise. It did once for myself good thing my training included it. True climbers adapt and overcome its in our nature. Newbies should chip brush for sometime before getting in a tree, much to learn on the ground before getting aloft. These days many just learn enough to quit and start their own gig and that has pretty much wasted the biz imo.

I climb on a rope runner and sometimes use 3 different ascenders to get into the tree, but sometimes the old school way is the best way. Natural crotch rigging is so nice, most of the time we don't even need to set us a port-a wrap because of the friction. I love it when the older arborist gets on the crews, i'm always amazed at what he does with the basics.

Certainly schnazzy gear won't make the climber. Totally agree. Understanding basic principles is essential to developing any skill set. At the same time srt is here to stay and learning on new types of climbing isn't necessarily a bad thing. What ever you climb, master it and be efficient. There's benefits and draw backs to every method and promoting a diversity of safe climbing styles only moves the whole industry forward. If old school works for you, rock it but don't rag on the people who embrace the wacky new stuff:happy:. Somebody's got to prove if it works or not! Excessive conservatism in itself is not a virtue. As long as it's done safely, do what ever imo.

I agree with all the above, but I also think that being set in your ways is simply a practice of ignorance. Climbing on a closed system and false crotching everything is just dumb. I'm not saying you have to gear out with the latest and greatest, but damn, I bet you don't hunt deer with a sharp rock and a stick.

Back