Geocaching

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone ever done any geocaching? More specifically, anyone ever put a cache high up in a tree?

Seems like you could be tempting unskilled folks to try and climb. I know you cant be responsible for other folks poor judgement, But in the interest of safety I wouldn't.

Just my thoughts.

Turns out there exists an "extreme" version of this hobby - as in extreme sports. Maybe that's where this is best suited. I don't know much about it yet. Also, disclaimers like "if you're not a professional tree climber with all the necessary gear, don't even think about it" should keep the idiots away.

Anyone ever done any geocaching? More specifically, anyone ever put a cache high up in a tree?

Nick Araya in the LA area has put up a few, other tree climbers have as well. As far as safety is concerned, you can be strategic, ie: put it in a tree that only an experienced tree climber would have the possible chance to get to it. Non-tree climbers are pretty much mystified if the first branch in a tree for example is over 50 ft. etc. They don't have the skills to set the rope.
-moss

Put it high up and fellow cachers will rag on you in the journal/log book, I believe it's one of the rules that is has to be obtainable without tools, like shovels.

I have found them attached to eye level branches in the past which is good fun.

nice to see so many others enjoying this hobby.

Put it high up and fellow cachers will rag on you in the journal/log book, I believe it's one of the rules that is has to be obtainable without tools, like shovels.

Hmmm... climbers I know put them up high. I guess it's a subcategory of mainstream geocaching. Don't have to please all the people all the time, let them rag.

Wait a minute, if it's up high how are they going to rag in the logbook if they're not technically capable of getting to it?
-moss

Nick Araya in the LA area has put up a few, other tree climbers have as well. As far as safety is concerned, you can be strategic, ie: put it in a tree that only an experienced tree climber would have the possible chance to get to it. Non-tree climbers are pretty much mystified if the first branch in a tree for example is over 50 ft. etc. They don't have the skills to set the rope.
-moss

Yeah, this is exactly the kind of thing I was thinkin. There are a lot of ponderosa pines around here and if I put it about 75 ft up in one whose lowest branch is 30 ft. up, the non-climber's best chance of hurting themselves is by jumping real high and landing on their head. I thought I might pick one with a real nice view of mountains and a lake so there's a cool reward for climbing. By the way, nice video of the traverse Moss. I was wondering though, what is th advantage of the srt in that case? I'm a drt guy so I'm admittedly ignorant on srt altogether. But if I were doing it I would have two lines one in each tree. I know the weight of the second line is a bummer but anything else? That grapnel got all kindsa wheels turnin in my head. I've done a little traversing in working situations but always by setting two lines from the ground. Didn't really think the was another way. Like I said, very cool video.

what is geocaching

Geocaching is a hobby/activity involving locating a hidden box using a gps. If you google it, you'll probably learn more than I could possibly tell you. It's good wholesome fun that'll get the family outside and doesn't cost an arm and a leg (unlike all my other hobbies).

Wait a minute, if it's up high how are they going to rag in the logbook if they're not technically capable of getting to it?
-moss

on the website when the sign the online journal, but I'd imagine it would state that climbing gear would be required, then mountainman (site boss) would decline it, I've had run ins with him before. Maybe qualify as a killer cache (almost impossible to find)

for more info on geocaching

http://www.geocaching.com/Default.aspx

on the website when the sign the online journal, but I'd imagine it would state that climbing gear would be required, then mountainman (site boss) would decline it, I've had run ins with him before. Maybe qualify as a killer cache (almost impossible to find)

for more info on geocaching

http://www.geocaching.com/Default.aspx

Ahh.. I see. I thought the logbook would be at the cache location, I'll read up on it more, thanks for the link.
-moss

Turns out there exists an "extreme" version of this hobby - as in extreme sports. Maybe that's where this is best suited. I don't know much about it yet. Also, disclaimers like "if you're not a professional tree climber with all the necessary gear, don't even think about it" should keep the idiots away.

Extreme yes that is what I told the band of happy jacks trapesing through my backyard. I told them " I am getiing extemely pissed off that you are trapseing through my back yard" Then I took thier granola bars.
All the while this boob is showing me his gadget and I am like feeling all Deliverance so I take it out of his hand and start banging it on the fence saying " It don't look like its working" so he grabs it back out of my hand and leaves cause it took him that long to get the idea, haven't seen him since. or anybody else cause I recommened that the spot all these knuckleheads kept going with their gadgets be striken from the list of spots knuckelheads go with thier gadets.
All these parks round here and they have to come through my place for this stuff? Hell, go down to any of the parks and do that.

Extreme yes that is what I told the band of happy jacks trapesing through my backyard. I told them " I am getiing extemely pissed off that you are trapseing through my back yard" Then I took thier granola bars.
All the while this boob is showing me his gadget and I am like feeling all Deliverance so I take it out of his hand and start banging it on the fence saying " It don't look like its working" so he grabs it back out of my hand and leaves cause it took him that long to get the idea, haven't seen him since. or anybody else cause I recommened that the spot all these knuckleheads kept going with their gadgets be striken from the list of spots knuckelheads go with thier gadets.
All these parks round here and they have to come through my place for this stuff? Hell, go down to any of the parks and do that.

That's funny dano, sucks that some people don't think when they place caches to avoid this. They're supposed to be on public property with access or on your own personal property ( I don't care for those ). You could probably log a complaint with the sites admin. about that particular cache. I haven't cached in awhile ( 2 parters are my favorite ) but my first thoughts when I heard about it was sticking one in a tree, of course.

I am a geocacher, actually geocaching is how I started climbing trees. I placed an adventure multi-cache in Central Ohio which involved 5 mild tree climbing stages. No equipment required, but a couple of comfort zone checks
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=664b23ea-3fac-4084-b05b-22725a924bc4

This was the first climbing cache in the Columbus area. It has turned out to be a big hit with the more intrepid cachers in the area.

I have since placed several tree caches, one of which has made it to the "extreme-caching" website, and is the only "extreme" cache listed in the state of Ohio.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=63079f4f-ba76-443e-85a1-37089b60c8ee

There are a core group of cachers in the area that really love this stuff, and never thought they would be climbing trees like a kid again. There are plenty of haters in the area, but the excitement, and great appreciation from those that love this style of caching is wonderful. People are travelling from other cities around ohio to take on these adventures, and more, and more cachers in the area are getting in the trees.
This has spawned a series of Tree ID caches of mine, that teach tree identification. I am starting a love affair with trees.

So this first little adventure cache paying tribute to my dog, and my beloved watershed, has sparked an interest in tree climbing in my area. I have since started learning safe ways to climb on ropes, through the tree climbers companion, and wonderful videos moss has posted, among others.

I know this is a rambling first post, but I was excited to see a thread about what inspired me to start climbing trees!

im a geocacher and thanks to geocaching i got in touch with rappelling and treeclimbing :)

i first got in touch with rappelling when i had to reach a sign 12 meters above ground to get some coordinates. then i took some courses,bought my first gear and now im caught :)

my first rappelling cache:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=5c147380-27a8-4890-9793-c8c89e876229
( a nice 25 meter cliff)

my first tree cache:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=65c8afa8-3e09-471a-b486-f8e1b4730af6

/V34

Back