Georgia spring 2015 GTG (May 30, 2015)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The address that will bring you close with a GPS is 523 Green St. Concord, GA 30206.
This is a residence that is near the airbase where the GTG is being held.

We're about an hour or so south of Atlanta, GA. About an hour from Macon and a little over an hour from Columbus, GA.

You don't want to come through Atlanta at rush hour so plan accordingly. On Friday, you'll want to avoid from 4pm to 7pm.

The GTG will start about 9am on Saturday the 30th if May. It will go until dark or until people leave.
Food will be provided. Beverage will be provided (lemonade and water). If you want soft drinks or sweet tea, bring your own. We will have ice available for them.

Bring desserts if you want to bring something.

Food provided will be simple with the menu consisting of hotdogs, venison/sausage burgers/chips/beans/ and maybe some slaw or tater salad. We will also supply plates, cups, flatware, etc.

There is room to camp if you are self contained. If you plan to arrive before Saturday, let me know as you'll need better directions since the signs won't be out yet.

No alcoholic beverages please.

Bring your own PPE such as chaps, safety glasses, ear plugs, etc.
Bring your own fuel/oil if you bring saws to run.

Feel free to bring any saws to run, trade, sell, etc. There will be saws available for sale so either bring money if you would like to buy one or leave your money home if that will be too powerful of a temptation. We can't be responsible for CAD attacks and they are likely to occur at an event such as this...

Spouses and children are welcome. Children will need close supervision. This is adjacent to an active airstrip with sailplane activity. Sailplane rides may be available for a fee, depending.

If you want to take some cookies (wood slices) home with you, feel free to do that.

We have plenty of logs on site. (could use a big log or two if someone nearby has one handy and can move it...)

We have a covered area we can utilize if necessary so this event will take place rain or shine. We will set up in an airplane hangar. Bring camp chairs if you like. We will have some chairs and also have some table/bench space to display and work on saws. There is a thread from last years GTG which has a lot of info and pics in it if you want to know a little more.
If someone needs additional info, pm me or call me at 770-584-9020 between the hours of 9am and midnight.
Ya'll come!

Stihl 018C, Stihl 019T, Stihl 026 x 3, Stihl 036, Stihl 039, Stihl 044 x 2, Stihl 046, Stihl MS460, Stihl MS660 x 2, Stihl 070, Stihl HT101 pole saw. Lots of project saws of varying brands.

I live and work in Warner Robins. Not too far of a ride for me to get there. Sounds as if plenty of saws will be there, what about splitters? I kinda skimmed through the thread, may have missed the splitter details. I've got a fairly new Super Split HD that could get a good break-in period/workout (only seen about 3-4 cord total so far). Right now have no idea of work possibly Sat, 30th or Sun, 31st weekend...way too early to tell, today being the 19th. Generally get shotgunned with only a day or two notice at best. Typical DoD, and the Govt wants their jets and planes. Right now I'm all in for coming, play it by ear. Let me know something concerning the Super Split HD, room to set it up, etc, etc?? I'll be more than happy to bring it??

As of today my plans are to attend and I need a Stihl 017 (no Ms 170) ignition module for a friend. If anyone has one for sale please bring it or if you will ship please start a conversation with me. Thanks Tom

I live and work in Warner Robins. Not too far of a ride for me to get there. Sounds as if plenty of saws will be there, what about splitters? I kinda skimmed through the thread, may have missed the splitter details. I've got a fairly new Super Split HD that could get a good break-in period/workout (only seen about 3-4 cord total so far). Right now have no idea of work possibly Sat, 30th or Sun, 31st weekend...way too early to tell, today being the 19th. Generally get shotgunned with only a day or two notice at best. Typical DoD, and the Govt wants their jets and planes. Right now I'm all in for coming, play it by ear. Let me know something concerning the Super Split HD, room to set it up, etc, etc?? I'll be more than happy to bring it??
I looked at the Super Split on youtube and it would be interesting to see one in action firsthand. I do have some wood that needs to be split about a mile from the GTG site and we could try it on that. Pecan and maybe a bit of red oak. I have a hydraulic splitter that is down for maintenance. I split a lot of wood by hand but pecan is a bit gnarly. Prior to the last GTG there was some discussion of trying out different mauls/axes and I have a pretty good variety of those but we never got to it. We did use a chainsaw mill to make a cant out of oak that was then used for a bit of racing but it certainly wasn't the primary focus of the day.
I think the benefit of a GTG besides fellowship and food is the ability to try different saws/equipment to get a feel for something before acquiring one of your own.
I had hoped to have a pile of saws ready for sale but I've been so time pinched I wasn't able to prepare much.
I have one MS650, I think an MS460 and thee 039/MS390 saws. I may have an MS310 as well.
I could've/should've had some Stihl 018's and 021/MS210 saws too but don't. Oh, I have a Husky 55 that just needs a sharp chain and should be ready to go... I also plan on selling one of my 044s. I have a 10mm and 12mm and will sell choice of those (and keep the other). If nothing else, people can try them and see what they think... I have so many saws right now, I'm not even hunting them at present. (even though I'm on a road trip). That's new for me. lol.

I looked at the Super Split on youtube and it would be interesting to see one in action firsthand. I do have some wood that needs to be split about a mile from the GTG site and we could try it on that. Pecan and maybe a bit of red oak. I have a hydraulic splitter that is down for maintenance. I split a lot of wood by hand but pecan is a bit gnarly. Prior to the last GTG there was some discussion of trying out different mauls/axes and I have a pretty good variety of those but we never got to it. We did use a chainsaw mill to make a cant out of oak that was then used for a bit of racing but it certainly wasn't the primary focus of the day.
I think the benefit of a GTG besides fellowship and food is the ability to try different saws/equipment to get a feel for something before acquiring one of your own.
I had hoped to have a pile of saws ready for sale but I've been so time pinched I wasn't able to prepare much.
I have one MS650, I think an MS460 and thee 039/MS390 saws. I may have an MS310 as well.
I could've/should've had some Stihl 018's and 021/MS210 saws too but don't. Oh, I have a Husky 55 that just needs a sharp chain and should be ready to go... I also plan on selling one of my 044s. I have a 10mm and 12mm and will sell choice of those (and keep the other). If nothing else, people can try them and see what they think... I have so many saws right now, I'm not even hunting them at present. (even though I'm on a road trip). That's new for me. lol.

...the Super Split HD is a fast splitter...it's blown through everything I've put on it. Some really larger rounds, but not many, need a second hit. Still with a 2-3 sec cycle, it can make a pile of splits quick. I bought it new back in Feb of this year from Super Split in Mass and have split about 4 cord so far.

I fear with the upcoming Memorial Day wknd, Mon of course a govt holiday, chances are we'll work the following wknd (seen it happen too many times over the yrs). Hopefully not, but we'll see...Aircraft maintenance/production numbers dictate everything. I'll trailer the Super Split on one of my 5x10 trailers for the ride to the GTG. As well, can definitely ride over to the other property and split the pecan and red oak you're speaking of.

Best wishes for everyone to have a great time. Sure wish we could make it, but looks like too much going on down here. If its anything like last year, I'm sure it's going to be great! Maybe it'll be where we can pull away, but looks doubtful.

Dan

Back from West Point. Got the kid all graduated and commissioned. Now to get to my to do list so I'll be ready for ya'll.

Well, congrats to the boy and you pops! That's just something, west point grad..dang.... that's more impressive then like hahhvud to me.

Anywho, bossman got sick of waiting for the old tractor to get fixed, so he grabbed a new high end tractor, so I'm working steady the next two to three weeks to get caught up, have to pass this year. Sucks, but a job and home come first. Hopefully there will be a lot of pics and maybe some vids!

Just informed and posted that we work this wknd. Generally how it goes after a govt holiday wknd. Hate like hell to miss the GTG...would've been my first one to attend. Was looking forward to bringing the SS HD and busting a little wood, let folks who have never used one give it a run.

Any plans for a possible fall time GTG? Hope you folks have a good time. Enjoy.

I finished assembling one of the planes today so we can push it outside to have hangar space. Cleaned up a bit and almost have the site ready. Finish up tomorrow. Didn't get the saws finished I was hoping to though. Oh, I also made a pot of pinto beans to go along with the burgers and dogs.

All set. Logs are positioned, grass all trimmed, hangar swept out, have food. Just need some people now... I cut a couple of cookies this evening to test my Stihl 070. It seems to be working now after puking out at the last GTG. (Apparently it was just an out of adjustment carb)

Back