Getting into csm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone must have really wanted it haha. I posted a wtb ad on my local craigslist. Someone emailed me asking if I was interested in a Jonsered 2095 for $500, asked for pics and of course the guy never sent any.

Saws are *stupid* expensive in Australia. It is often cheaper to buy a saw in US, get it shipped, and pay import duties and taxes than it is to buy local. Sad, but true.

As for a saw for a 56" mill, I think you'd definitely want to look in the 100cc+ range (088/880 or equivalent) to do full justice to a bar that size.

Plan is to run something smaller for now but have the capacity to upgrade the saw down the road and not have to get a bigger mill, get a 90cc and run a 36" or 42" bar for now. Of course just depends, maybe I'll get lucky and find a decent deal on a 100+cc saw, tried buying the 084 that was posted last week but someone beat me to the punch.

I started with a crappy 075 I bought on ebay, then sold it and bought an 084 on this forum. It is an awesome saw. Then I got REALLY lucky on a "parts" saw on ebay for around $500. It had a cracked cylinder where the decomp valve attaches. Someone on this site told me that someone else on this site could weld it up for me. He did. And he did an AMAZING job of it. AND it was really reasonably priced.

In short, I have had NOTHING but good feelings about dealing with people on here and I hope the person who bought my 075 felt the same - I tried to be completely honest about the (none-to-good) condition it was in.

I am probably cutting similar things to you, though over in your neck of the woods they may typically be a bit bigger. However, I have cut some awfully big wood with my 084 (like a 55" white oak that was solid through and through).

I would put the word out on here, were I you, that you are looking. I bet someone will make you a good deal. Like I said - there seems to be a cornucopia of honest folks on here.

Good luck, and make sure you post what you mill so we can see it, please.

Yea I plan to post an ad on here if I don't find one locally or if nothing gets posted in the next couple of days, ordered my mill from Bailey's and they won't be in stock until 5/31 then suppose to ship after that but we shall see.

So getting closer to getting started milling I hope. Got my mill put together a couple weeks ago(accidentally put the handle on backwards and might need to adjust the whole thing anyways) and finally got a saw today. Was rather risky buying the saw because I got it off ebay:confused: Still have to check the compression on it, once I find a place with a gauge since no place I went to tonight had one, any suggestions? Here's some pics of it and a video of me starting it up, let me know if anything seems bad since I'm a noob when it comes to big chainsaws. It came with a 36" bar, but plan on upgrading eventually, maybe sooner than later.

I think you have ended up with quality gear which should be a pleasure to use. Buying a Oregon 511 knock off grinder IMO will be a $100 well spent. When you put 'chainsaw mill' into a search engine Panther mills always pop up. Everything I have read about those who have purchased them is not too good. I think you made the right choice with Granberg. Good luck and keep us informed of your milling projects.

Ordered a 60" cannon super bar and woodland pro ripping chain for it and my other bar. Of course the bar says ships in 2-3 weeks and chain won't be in until July 4th so got awhile. Had a 10% coupon and with their current promo, saved a little over $100 which was nice. I'd say the 60" won't see full depth very often, but will be nice to have when I need it, the 36" will probably get used a lot more.

Need to make an auxiliary oiler, was wondering what everyone's preference is, to have it drip on the chain or buy the little oil bolt thing you gotta drill and put in the bar? Need to buy a ladder or make guide rails still, then I'll be ready to go. Just moved so haven't had time to mill anything yet, and going on a week long fishing trip this weekend so the wait for the new stuff won't seem as long haha.

Was also wondering from other ms880 knowlegable people, are there any mods suggested for it? Had read about the muffler being in a bad position and blowing all the heat back onto the saw while milling. I've read so many threads I could have got it confused with another saw so just wanted to see everyone's thoughts.

Need to make an auxiliary oiler, was wondering what everyone's preference is, to have it drip on the chain or buy the little oil bolt thing you gotta drill and put in the bar?
Drip is fine.

Was also wondering from other ms880 knowlegable people, are there any mods suggested for it? Had read about the muffler being in a bad position and blowing all the heat back onto the saw while milling. I've read so many threads I could have got it confused with another saw so just wanted to see everyone's thoughts.
Some of my mods are in this thread
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/modding-the-bil-mill-to-take-the-880.87987/
It looks like there are no pics for the first few posts but keep going and you will see some interesting stuff especially the muffler exhaust mod.

20160629_184733.jpg

Hey brother, as far as the mill goes, if you're new like me doing it well and still doing it cheap/free is very satisfying. I built my mill for free with spare parts from the work dumpster. It would cost ~50 bucks to buy all the pieces. Just nuts, bolt and 7/8" unistrut. I'm sure buying a mill has its perks! But so far I've milled a dozen big logs worth quite a bit and the only money I've spent is on the saws. It's a lot more fun when you're not dumping money into it, for me at least!

Lmk if you'd like some more photos of the mill.

Back