Getting some burn marks under my Husky air cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NC Cutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Did some searching and couldn't find anything on this.

Husky 372xp is getting kind of a burn area under the air cover and ignition wire seems to have the start of some melting. This is really minor right now and I barely noticed it. I happened to be blowing out the saw and ran my finger up the ignition wire when I noticed a rough spot not coming clean. The burn or melt spot on the cover is really small. Smaller than a dime. It's late or I would snap some pics.

Any ideas? Take it to the dealer? This doesn't seem normal for sure.
DSCF1918_zpssrmlvhj8.jpg

DSCF1920_zpsqhtdcdw4.jpg

DSCF1921_zpspemneglh.jpg

DSCF1922_zps7jtwuw5i.jpg

DSCF1923_zpsrqs2pnc2.jpg

Where exactly are you having problems? Behind the recoil? Air filter cover? Sorry, I'm retarded today.

I've seen lots of Huskys with burnt/melted top covers. Maybe Husky doesn't leave enough clearance between the shroud and the muffler? I usually just use reflective tape on the bottom side of the cover, which seems to help.

:dumb:I guess that doesn't really answer your question. Lol
image.jpg

Did some searching and couldn't find anything on this.

Husky 372xp is getting kind of a burn area under the air cover and ignition wire seems to have the start of some melting. This is really minor right now and I barely noticed it. I happened to be blowing out the saw and ran my finger up the ignition wire when I noticed a rough spot not coming clean. The burn or melt spot on the cover is really small. Smaller than a dime. It's late or I would snap some pics.

Where you at in NC ? I can take a look if need be ....

It's a 372xp xt. About a year and a half old. I think they call this model a "high top" air filter or heavy duty. The burn mark on the underside of the cover is directly above the spark plug wire. The spark plug wire seems to be in its little slot.

I just got out of the shower, put on my camo PJ's (can you ever have too much concealment?) and I'm relaxing with the wife. The saw is out in the barn. I know, I know I'm a bad saw owner and should have it mounted in a display case...lol. I'll get y'all some pics by mid-day tomorrow.

That is not melting. Its just where the 2 covers rub together, nothing to be concerned with.
If I was you though I would clearance the air filter cover a little so it doesn't rub the spark plug wire. Thats what I do on this model to avoid problems down the road.

That is not melting. Its just where the 2 covers rub together, nothing to be concerned with.
If I was you though I would clearance the air filter cover a little so it doesn't rub the spark plug wire. Thats what I do on this model to avoid problems down the road.

Huh, sure looks and feels like melted/burned plastic to me. Not sure what else to say.

I meant to add that there is no "rubbing" on the other side of the cover.

Huh, sure looks and feels like melted/burned plastic to me. Not sure what else to say.
I have seen it several times. Its just the plastic rubbing or "chafing" from the vibration of the motor and may be a little saw dust in that area.
Look at how bad the air filter cover has rubbed your spark plug wire.

Friction burn, caused by to pieces vibrating together while making contact. The plastic has been melted and probably has some dust mixed in as well.

More than a few saws have those marks. No idea what a dealer would do about it.

So what can a dealer do about this? I don't mind cosmetic wear like paint coming off a bar, but this seems a bit more destructive. This saw has only seen 4 gallons of mix. I don't want to have to have the plug wire and cover replaced.

I'm not saying it isn't melted from friction, but it looks like hard dried tree sap to me.

What' you're seeing is the melted plastic mixed with sawdust. It can't be scrapped off. The wire itself looks like someone took a sharp knife and sliced a flat into it. If you look a little closer though (in person) you'll see the texture is rough with melted micro globs of rubber and sawdust.

In your first picture look at the rub mark on the air filter cover where it has been rubbing the plug wire. That is why I clearance that area.

Take it to your dealer and see what he says.

In your first picture look at the rub mark on the air filter cover where it has been rubbing the plug wire. That is why I clearance that area.

Take it to your dealer and see what he says.

How would you go about doing that to the area in question?

I plan on running it down to the closest dealer in the morning to see what he says.

Thanks for all the help from everyone BTW.

What' you're seeing is the melted plastic mixed with sawdust. It can't be scrapped off. The wire itself looks like someone took a sharp knife and sliced a flat into it. If you look a little closer though (in person) you'll see the texture is rough with melted micro globs of rubber and sawdust.

Nice of you to go so far out of your way to agree with me. I thought I worded the first half of my reply in order to make sure it doesn't look like I'm making some stupid argument.

Nice of you to go so far out of your way to agree with me. I thought I worded the first half of my reply in order to make sure it doesn't look like I'm making some stupid argument.

Was that sarcasm?
Did I come across as argumentative? I apologize to you and everyone in this thread if that's the way it looks. Sometimes the written word doesn't do a good job of conveying the true sentiments of the writer. :cheers:

Okay, so I ran it down to the dealer this morning for him to take a look see. He was swamped with saw repairs and down a man, but agreed to check it out while I waited. He thought the melting was friction rubbing from air cover contact. He was a bit perplexed though that the air cover was super tight and didn't show any movement. His claimed Husky should have run the wire in from a different direction. His fix? "Keep an eye on it." :nofunny:

He checked out my pull start and agreed to fix it. I mentioned they had fixed it once before, that it was still under warranty and that I had actually paid for the parts before. He said "well, since you paid for it once before, I won't charge you today." At this point, I'm not sure what the Husqvarna warranty is supposed to cover or if it's worth a damn at all. Maybe it is just this dealer.

While I was waiting, I started to check out all the saws in for repair and their cards tied to each one. He was almost covered up with 372xp's BTW. Many looked to be pretty old and plenty ragged out. Lot's of logging here in this area. Lot's of "does not start." I noticed a 562xp sitting there with a "does not start easy/runs hot" written on the tag. I asked him about the Autotunes when he brought my saw back out and his response was "you don't want anything to do with those saws" and basically to stick with what I have. He sounded frustrated with the whole concept. I tried to get a little more out of him, but he kind of acted as if he'd already said too much. I like getting opinions from the shops actually having to repair them so that I know what to stay away from. User error on the Autotunes or design flaw? Not sure, but I think I'll stick with tried and true.

Interesting morning.

Back