Getting started building a shed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaxyakalagalis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Started cutting a Doug Fir log to make 2x6's to rebuild the shed i'm milling in to be a more permanent structure. 17' x 27". My help never showed up so it took most of the day for setup and preparing the shed for work. I thought i had everything set up but i needed to finish up some stuff.

Used the lag bolt method because i don't have rails long enough for this log, it worked out pretty good.

Timelapse of my first pass.

Pic1 17 foot squared two sides

20150125_154333.jpg

The end, almost square.
20150125_154353.jpg

wow The only thing around here that is that long and straight are the lamated power poles . Those will be heavy be careful and keep your helper close .

I actually already cut 8' off this for my first test. it was all that straight! We have access to some good lumber here. They were heavy, i'm going to take the off cuts and make 1" stickers. i have a feeling i'm going to need some.

That's a beauty, would make some nice quarter sawn finish lumber

That's the next step, I have another 25' fir with a curve at the butt, so I'll make some 8' pieces and quartersaw that stuff. Learning a lot!!

Nice log - 17' kind of long for a 2x6 though? No snow load? Header mid span?

Just wanted to see what it takes to cut long pieces, and use the lag bolts for supports. I think I might use the lag bolts even for shorter spans! I guess if i'm going to cut 17' i should make 2x12's. It's going to be a single slope roofline.
We're still figuring out what to do. Idea is to rebuild the shed it's in with an opening to roll up to 16' logs, there is a gentle, 5% slope leading up into the shed.

Plan to buy a norwood/woodmizer bandmill in the near future. Shipping is the limiting factor for the other brands, as well as a terrible exchange rate between $CDN and US$

I've looked at a few bandmill sheds on here for ideas, but we haven't decided exactly what it looks like.

nice work, I too hope to have a place of my own to mill in peace and do your own thing without worrying of disturbing others. How did you do the lag setup? String line to keep straight and two lags every two ft or so? I've never seen this done, cool.

nice work, I too hope to have a place of my own to mill in peace and do your own thing without worrying of disturbing others. How did you do the lag setup? String line to keep straight and two lags every two ft or so? I've never seen this done, cool.

Thanks, i enjoy it a lot, i sit in an office all week so this is good.

String on the end 2x6's wrapped around nails. I had 4 pairs (i think) of lags along the 17' log so not every 2ft. I used a sawmilled 2x4 instead of a store bought one so it was quite a bit thicker and didnt need that many supports. I just eyeballed it guessing where i thought it needed support. Set up the lines and used a drill to screw in 5" lag screws.

Here's the page from Will's book that shows setting up the line.

Chainsaw Lumbering_Page_095.jpg

Thanks for the page reference. This must be the PDF thread or something similar I found scrolling through on here. It's been a while since I've been on here. A bit of setup, not bad, and good results with the CSMs if you can be patient and setup and take time to perfect setup. I'm still working on that and I think as a CS miller, you never stop perfecting your techniques. I'll admit I don't always like taking the time to do so, whey I'd love a band mill. I use a ladder but only mill 8' pieces. I'd need a 40' ladder to mill a 17' piece. Again, very neat to see this done with just a board!

Thanks for the page reference. This must be the PDF thread or something similar I found scrolling through on here. It's been a while since I've been on here. A bit of setup, not bad, and good results with the CSMs if you can be patient and setup and take time to perfect setup. I'm still working on that and I think as a CS miller, you never stop perfecting your techniques. I'll admit I don't always like taking the time to do so, whey I'd love a band mill. I use a ladder but only mill 8' pieces. I'd need a 40' ladder to mill a 17' piece. Again, very neat to see this done with just a board!
I found it only a little bit longer than using a ladder. But dead straight.

Yeah when I got here someone pointed me to Will's book, didn't know anything about it. (Disclaimer...known of him for years, as just some old guy who made some cool woodwork in my town), turns out my namesake is one of the guys pictured in the book!

He's publishing a new one, and the old one is available as pdf in a bit if searching.

Here's the final cant before I ripped it to 14" will make 2x14, then laminate those into a 3-layer 25' beam for our roof. Roof will be cedar single, 15° slope, 10' deep. Max snow load here is 2-3 inches overnight for about 10 hours.
5d08b7bc6e81b3256492badf76b6885a.jpg

Cuts I'm going to take 1" off of for stickers.
098ff8e1947a48ad516ef0667801e63d.jpg

Four new bundles being towed over, 3 firewood and one for our members personal use, carving/home building.
c101b68d7ca841fd1da69d9388017b33.jpg

So.... months later because of family obligations i finally finished off that cant i started in january.

20150322_145346.jpg
6 2" x 14" x 17' douglas fir planks to be laminated together to make a header for my new shed. I'm planning to have three layers, but it seems like overkill.
20150322_145320.jpg
End view and sawdust shot!

A little late now but I have to ask why you did not just bother to mill a header beam rather than 3-2"x14" ?? Was it just for ease of transport and setting in place?
Anyways, all your milling looks great...
G Vavra
Mostly experimentation, I'm very new to chainsaws, construction, milling etc.. It was little bit weight, but we do have friends with equipment big enough to move such a thing. That's how we're going to get it up. Also i didn't think of this use until after i cut the first 8" off this log, so it's only 17' so it needs to be offset when laminated.

I was told by a carpenter friend that a laminated beam would be as strong or stronger if put together correctly, and even if not put together perfectly, a no-load roof with cedar shakes wouldn't pose much of a problem for this.

The final goal is to build a house (kiln first) so i'm trying to get exposure to as many types of boards etc, and smaller ones seemed more practical right now. It's hard to get help with doing this work, I've exhausted the "Hey nephew wanna come help me with something for a bit?" routine with my younger relatives.

Do you think a solid beam 25' would be fine for a milling shed opening?

How long does it take to make those couple boards like that with a chainsaw? I'm just curious... like on the big Woodmizer we have that would be about 5 mins.

How long does it take to make those couple boards like that with a chainsaw? I'm just curious... like on the big Woodmizer we have that would be about 5 mins.
I was by myself, so don't have a great grasp on the time, but this was a 14" wide fir cant, and i'm using an 088 with Oregon ripping chain, so I'd say about the same amount of time, maybe a little bit less. I do know when it was 26" wide it took almost 15 minutes to cut through that with the same saw. But lots of sweat, and kneeling on the ground. Luckily there is lots of sawdust to soften it up.

Here's a shot of the sawdust from those 6 cuts. The floor was almost completely clear before I started that day!

20150322_145302.jpg

awesome. Man I wish we had dug firs out here in PA. Such a good building lumber. and they grown so big. Great project. I have hopes in a couple years of build a barn / shed. so it nice to see this kind of work.

awesome. Man I wish we had dug firs out here in PA. Such a good building lumber. and they grown so big. Great project. I have hopes in a couple years of build a barn / shed. so it nice to see this kind of work.

And they turn into steel after a few decades. My rental is made of doug fir posts, joists, late 40's early 50's and I had to drill a pilot hole to put an eye screw into an old post in my basement! They grow pretty straight here on the coast as well. I can't wait for summer so I can get more work done. Got some good cedar on it's way as well.

Back