Getting to the big grinders..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valleystump

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all.

I started my stump business last spring and was surprised at the demand and volume of work I got part-time.
I ended up doing about 12.5K from spring to fall (without much advertising) and ended up purchasing a Carlton SP2000 to run instead of the Apine all the time. I did keep the Alpine for those odd ones..

My question is this - How did you guys running big grinders ever get to that point ? How long did it take? Did you take a certain % of each job towards equipment upgrading or what ?
Very interested in this as I find the SP2000 a great machine but very limiting towards the sizes of stumps I can handle without killing myself by end of day. I'd love to get to a 7015 someday but it seems SO FAR away.

Thanks in advance ..

ValleyStump

Put 4 or 5k down on one and get it. Maybe$7-800 a month or less depending on all the financial stuff. Then you are rolling. Other wise just save up all your nicked and dimes. I just bought my first NEW stump machine this month. Making a payment but we do tree work as well. You just got to see if you can realistically make the payments every month with out getting stretched to thin.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I bought a 200t carlton sp8018 trx machine last year for $29,000. I paid first and last payment up front and doc fees and my payment is a couple dollars under $700 a month

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I just went out and bought my 4400-4 in 1997 it took me 5 years after fuel cost to pay my self back but once I started advertising in the proper areas I found I could make enough to purchase a new machine in a year if I wanted to in 05 o bought a 7015 with 200 hrs on it and wore it out in 9 years working full time 6 months a year!
Advertising is the key, for start up name recognition and expansion expect to pay 10-15 % of your gross but once the advertising public figures out who you are 2-3 years down the road expect to pay 4-6 percent of gross to maintain market share.
Financing is dangerous due to the seasonality of this work but do what ever you have to to make things work

Good luck!

Hope this helps

I have a walk behind grinder myself. On large stumps it sucks but it gets the job done. When I get to the point where I need a bigger machine to keep up with all the work i'm getting I will get a bigger grinder. Until then it will be a waste of money with no additional income.

Back